• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Con Adventures

Slife

First Post
Whimsical said:
For con games, adventures with a strong theme can be especially rewarding to play. For example:

• One member of your travelling circus is accused for a robbery turned murder by the town you are in. Can you and your circus buddies find the truth before it's too late?

And you can steal stats for the circus members too.

chriton227

Explorer
Varianor Abroad said:
Done this. It's a major time hog. Well worth it, but still a big investment. It takes a while to get good at making the terrain. Some easy interim steps include:

*pre-drawing maps on the big sheets of Staples newspaper
*buying Dwarven Forge*
*buying aquarium terrain that you can pack easily
*making individual terrain pieces to plop onto Tact-tiles or a Flip-Mat

*If you're independantly wealthy and have money for the fuel allowance. ;)

I actually have a easel pad of 1" grid Post-It notes, plus a fair selection of Dwarven Forge that doesn't get used enough, and a fair amount of WorldWorks stuff that I've built. I tend to go back to my trusty battle-mat most of the time for speed and convenience.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm feeling much more confident about doing this. I don't know why I got worried at all, I've been running games at this con off and on for over a decade, and I've even run games at GenCon and Origins (including co-DMing the national championship of a game that I had never run before the con). It should be old hat by now.

delericho

Legend
chriton227 said:
Sounds like I'll be doing some adventure writing...

I've got a couple ideas bouncing around in my head, including some adventures that I ran completely off the cuff in my normal home game that only took a single session.

There's no harm in prepping any of these anyway, since you can always store them for later use. Either way, I strongly recommend making duplicates of everything you're going to use at the Con, both in case something gets lost/given away/damaged, and also so you can reuse later. Of course, if everything is stored electronically, this is rather less of an issue.

Remove ads