• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan d20: What have been your experiences?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
We found that even using active rolls for parry or dodge it still played faster for us than comparitive level D&D because of the lack of magic which was changing status/hit/damage mods.

GlassJaw

Hero
Conan is my 2nd favorite d20 book (the first being Grim Tales). It blows away Iron Heroes IMO. Without even knowing that it's a Conan book, the mechanics lend themselves to a brutal and gritty style of play, and that's the mark of a good system.

Plane Sailing said:
We found that even using active rolls for parry or dodge it still played faster for us than comparitive level D&D because of the lack of magic which was changing status/hit/damage mods.

I plan on trying out the opposed defense rolls as well and this is what I'm counting on. Nothing can be any slower than calculating a ton of buffs and mods in standard D&D.

I'd actually be interested in hearing more about your experiences with opposed attack/defense rolls (perhaps in another thread). What game did you use it for?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ive used it for some variant D&D, but the main place we've used it is in our episodic Conan campaign (typically picked up and we play the next chapter each time there is a weekend when most of the guys can't make it).

Whenever someone rolls to hit, the target rolls to either block or parry. There is that extra level of excitement and uncertainty:

PC "I get 4, I stumble as I try to swing at him"
DM "he rolls to block and gets 2, attempting to fake you out he stumbles onto your spear!"

PC "Astonishing strike to his neck, I rolled a 23"
DM "With amazing agility he ducks underneath your blow and presses his attack, he got a 24 for his dodge this turn".

Often a given PC or NPC will mostly use his best defensive tactic, but sometimes your best option changes (e.g. they are firing missiles at you, you only get to dodge; you are in restricted terrain which reduces your dodge so your parry is the best bet at the moment)

Cheers

argo

First Post
Nikosandros said:
How fast is combat, though? By reading the rules it felt somewhat slower than 3E... is that the case? Or does it actually play faster?

Thanks! :)
Well, it certainly doesn't play any slower than DnD, and IME it is faster than high level DnD with all those spell effects flying around.

Of course it will probably seem slower at first since there are a few new mechanics to keep track of. But with my group, once we got used to the new mechanics we fell right back into our old groove. Remember: many of the new mechanics are simply static numbers (ie: weapon AP) you only need to calculate it once and write it down.

What I did when DMing was I kept innitative cards for each of the PC's and combat NPC's and on there had important values like what their DR, 1/2 DR and weapon AP were. Then I was able to do all the DR-related calculations quickly and the players only needed to tell me their attack and damage total.

I found that the addition of options like Combat Manouvers and Fighting on the Run, etc actually speed up play because now the players are more likely to be able to simply do what they want in any given situation than have to worry about having the right ability.

Later.

Iron_Chef

First Post
We had a great Conan campaign when it first came out. We loved the combat/character creation rules/classes but a little disappointed with magic being so weak at low levels. The Conan OGL RPG is great fun, and different enough from D&D to really feel different (more deadly/gritty) while still being close enough to basic d20 rules.

I prefer VP/WP as in Star Wars d20, but at the time I played Conan, I was happy enough with the reduced HP (no HP after level 10) and harder massive damage of Conan. Now, I would probably change that mechanic to WP/VP, but that's just me. A Game of Thrones d20 RPG (out in October) has super reduced HP (just a few HP per level; I think fighter types get 2 HP/level + CON and others get 1 HP/level + CON?) and it has an even even lower massive damage save, IIRC.

Conan OGL is worth every penny whether you want it for the rules or the setting or both; same with A Game of Thrones OGL (I've skimmed over the preview pdf). Otherwise, if you just want to make your game's existing setting deadlier without buying $50 new books, just use Vitality Points/Wound Points (they're in Unearthed Arcana).

VP = HP
WP = CON stat + Toughness feats
Critical hits bypass VP and are applied straight to WP (no damage multiplier)

Now, magic would need to be tweaked, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms. ;)

GlassJaw

Hero
Plane Sailing said:
Whenever someone rolls to hit, the target rolls to either block or parry. There is that extra level of excitement and uncertainty:

Great stuff, and that's certainly what I'm hoping for. I'll also be using Action Points (from Grim Tales) so that should add even another layer of excitement: "I really need to dodge this attack but I only rolled an 11. Ok, I spend an AP!!"

GlassJaw

Hero
Iron_Chef said:
I prefer VP/WP as in Star Wars d20
VP = HP
WP = CON stat + Toughness feats
Critical hits bypass VP and are applied straight to WP (no damage multiplier)

Have you heard my pimping of my variant ruleset in my sig? ;)

Khorod

First Post
I'm one of argo's players. I agree with his words.

Something about the Conan maneuvers was particularly appealing. 'To the Hilt', for example, is really more risk than its worth... except when you use it in that one attack to destroy your opponent. Then its just a little icing, and the chance of getting your weapon caught just a piece of beautiful flavor.

The one thing that I am iffy about is the thorough, unapologetic stereotyping of races and archetyping of classes. In a Conan game, that's great. But if you are looking for a less Conan-esque game, the archetypes are a little annoying. You might feel a need to house rule those particular elements if you want the book for the game engine itself.

Iron_Chef

First Post
Khorod said:
The one thing that I am iffy about is the thorough, unapologetic stereotyping of races and archetyping of classes. In a Conan game, that's great. But if you are looking for a less Conan-esque game, the archetypes are a little annoying. You might feel a need to house rule those particular elements if you want the book for the game engine itself.

On the contrary, those elements are staples of the ancient/medieval world and worthy additions to add flavor to generic settings like Forgotten Realms. I'm sick of every human being just like every other human in games, personally. What's the difference between a Dalesman and Cormyte? FR doesn't really say, certainly not enough in terms of flavor text AND game mechanics, unless you count those regional feats, which really don't go far enough. Conan really makes you FEEL and LIVE the differences between Stygians, Cimmerians and Vanir, for example. You hear the word "Stygian" and you feel a chill up your spine. You can visualize their homeland, their culture, their language. Instantly. I can't do that with FR or generic settings. A Game of Thrones d20 will also feature such stereotyping. If you've read the books, you know this is what makes the setting so vivid and special, just like Conan.

Remove ads