CONAN LIVES! Info on the new Conan RPG

I also don't feel that "living through the character" is the be-all-and-end all of the RPG experience - I'm much more a fan of the author-stance than the actor-stance for RPGs these days, where the player is more akin to an author controlling the character, than a presence embodying the character (indeed, I tend to find that 'living through the character' tends to result in a number of problematic behaviours, where the player's attachment to the character makes them actively avoid risk, peril, and compromising situations).
And of course, you're right, that this does lead to situations where the player becomes attached to the character and avoids risk, but is that really a bad thing? I guess it depends on whether you want characters that are larger-than-life heroic, or ones that are down-to-earth authentic. Whatever your goals, the ruleset should encourage that.

Actor-stance is kind of the definition of role-playing, though. When you role-play, you take on the role of the character, and make decisions from that standpoint. You can see why there might be some confusion. Personally, I refer to actor-stance games as Role-Playing Games, and author-stance games are Story-Telling Games. I think that would do a lot to reduce conflict in the future.

N01H3r3

Explorer
Not always played that way, but yeah, I think the definition of roleplaying games is to have a game with roleplaying.

Otherwise, you're playing a different type of game.

It doesn't surprise me that you think this way as I have said before that the 2d20 system is more akin to playing a board game like Risk more than it is a roleplaying game.
You're veering very close to "one-true-wayism" here - just because it isn't how you like to play RPGs, doesn't mean it's wrong.

The difference here is that the way you like to play is catered for in abundance. The way I like to play gets shouted down as "having fun wrong" by people who play your way.

I'm sure some will agree. There are all types. But, I think that good roleplaying is the highest experience a person can have with a roleplaying game.

RPGs aren't Yahtzee. They aren't computer RPGs either.
No, they're not. I don't know why you'd think you needed to bring them up.

Thing is, there are different definitions of "good roleplaying", which is something that you've reverted to dismissing (after a good long string of posts where we seemed to actually be communicating).

Having a player be so attached to a character that he plays him like a real person is generally the goal. Sure, that person can do super human things, sometime--which can be a true thrill.
Been there, done that. It isn't the only way to do things.

RPG characters shouldn't be the extra lives a person gets when playing a Computer RPG.
"Extra lives" haven't really been a thing in computer games since the 1980s. Computer RPGs tend to have a singular character for a player to focus their attentions on (and maybe a party of computer-controlled NPCs to order about, at least for single player ones), and death means reloading from the last place the game auto-saved.

Thing is... that approach has almost no bearing on my perspective. I like a few computer RPGs, but not many, because I prefer the flexibility of tabletop RPGs. A computer RPG needs to have truly exceptional world-building, characters, and storyline to grab me. The last ones I completed were the Mass Effect trilogy.

My perspective isn't that. My perspective is - as I pointed out in my last post - more akin to an author determining a character's actions, than an actor playing a character. The author puts the character into situations where conflict (of some kind) can occur, often against the character's best interests. The character takes actions that aren't advantageous, because people don't always make logical decisions (this is, IMO, the biggest issue I've encountered with actor-stance RPing - players who play their characters without flaws or attachments because they don't want to be inconvenienced).

Author-stance games, like Fate, tend to encourage characters to be played with flaws, because those flaws encourage and incite conflict and drama. The outcome is game rules built on the concepts of story-telling, rather than the idea of emulating reality.

This is why your Threat Mechanic doesn't work for me. When a character is heroic, he's punished, or the group is punished, later on.
Both "heroic" and "punished" are subjective in this context.

For me, the heroic actions are the ones against terrible odds, in perilous situations. The hero is not inherently heroic when he cuts down a half-dozen ill-equipped 'villainous minions'. He's heroic when he fights for his life against impending doom. For me, the measure of a heroic character is now how they are when everything's fine, but how they are when everything is awful.

Similarly, "punished" isn't the word I'd use. Difficult situations are good, because they present an opportunity for the above - for a character to be tested and pressured.

I take the Joss Whedon approach to characters - that they aren't interesting unless they're suffering. I like the characters my players have. But I want them to suffer, because uneventful picnics aren't the stuff thrilling adventures are made of. My players know this and embrace it.

This approach suits 'author stance' games better than it suits 'actor stance' ones - in an 'actor stance' game, the player is too close to the character to willingly imperil that character. It produces things like the perception that a character with a family is a vulnerable one (because the GM can exploit the family for drama)

Yes, buying extra dice (etc) with Threat raises the stakes. The difference here is that I see that raising of stakes as desirable, while you see it as punishment. You also seem to constantly assume that the GM will save all his points for one big turn of the screw at the end, rather than spending at a measured pace throughout the adventure, or varying his use of Threat as things progress (spend hard in one scene, tension raises... the scene that follows, the tension is reduced because there's less Threat left... until we start to build again).

You hit the nail on the head. You're describing characters as playing pieces, like extra lives in a computer game, where all you have to do is reload your last save.

I'm talking about emotional involvement that delivers (what I would argue is) a superior game experience.
And I disagree with your assertion as to what makes a superior game experience - it may be your preferred approach, but that does not make it universally and objectively better.

Most games, including d20 based one, can be scaled. How much you roll over your target gives you your "successes".

For example, for every 5 points rolled over the target, the character obtains a success.
This isn't pure scaling, though. Momentum isn't just used to "succeed better" (though that is one of its uses). It can also be used to take additional, tangential actions, expand the scope of the action taken, or achieve a variety of other beneficial effects. Similarly, complications that can occur (on natural 20s rolled) don't indicate failure, but rather a problem that has occurred independent of success or failure (yes, you've hit, but in the process you've left yourself exposed). Players can choose to buy off that immediate complication for two Threat if they wish (avoid something bad now for something bad later), but it's an element that adds greater variety of outcome to each roll.

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan. I LOVED the D6 WEG game. Like Mongoose's Conan, I bought every supplement and rulebook ever published for that game, in all editions. The new FFG Star Wars dicing system turns me off, big-time. Thus, I have not purchased the game.

And, all I'm seeing here is that the design philosophy about the new Conan game is exactly my impression from reading the playtest rules--nothing about the game's rules jive with how I like to play or what I consider good game mechanics.
Which is all fine. But there's a difference between "I don't like this" and "this is bad" which a lot of your posts (barring the more recent ones in this thread) tend to skip past. Personally, I love the FFG Star Wars RPGs, and they're my favourite incarnation of Star Wars RPG - they hit all the buttons I want them to hit.

That's kind of the issue here. I have no problem with you not liking the game. My self-esteem is solid enough that I can accept people not liking everything that I do. I have more of an issue with people conflating personal tastes and quality.

N01H3r3

Explorer
And of course, you're right, that this does lead to situations where the player becomes attached to the character and avoids risk, but is that really a bad thing? I guess it depends on whether you want characters that are larger-than-life heroic, or ones that are down-to-earth authentic. Whatever your goals, the ruleset should encourage that.
Which is the intent here. Think of the original Die Hard - John McClane is an ordinary cop (his "larger than life" phase comes more in the later movies), who spends the movie getting progressively more beaten and bloodied by events, and the situation escalates around him. He's very clearly having A Bad Day of spectacular proportions.

He's not avoiding risk. He's still being careful, because he's outnumbered and outgunned, but he's still taking risks, causing trouble, and being a nuisance. And, as the situation escalates, he has to work harder for his little victories.

That's the kind of thing I'm aiming for when I run a game. It's the kind of thing I'm aiming for with 2d20 too.

Actor-stance is kind of the definition of role-playing, though. When you role-play, you take on the role of the character, and make decisions from that standpoint. You can see why there might be some confusion. Personally, I refer to actor-stance games as Role-Playing Games, and author-stance games are Story-Telling Games. I think that would do a lot to reduce conflict in the future.
I've seen similar attempts to distinguish used... which ended up resulting in "storygames" being used as a derogatory term to refer to games that weren't "proper RPGs", which doesn't work when there isn't a clear dividing line between the two extremes (something like Fiasco at one end, GURPS or AD&D at the other), but rather a sliding scale.

Water Bob

Adventurer
You're veering very close to "one-true-wayism" here - just because it isn't how you like to play RPGs, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Play as you want. I don't care.

But, this entire dialogue is supposed to be feedback about what people want out of the game, yes?

I've been telling ya that I don't like at all what you're trying to produce. Now, I've learned that even the guy working on the rules plays completely differently than the way I like to play.

And, now, instead of soaking up the feedback, you are defending your play style and what you like in games.

I don't think there is much hope that you and I are going to see eye-to-eye on this, and because your preferences are diametrically opposed to mine, I don't see much hope for this game.

The difference here is that the way you like to play is catered for in abundance.

There's a profit motive to publishing this game, yes? Why take the risk with such a system as 2d20 when you know the market for regular types games is already out there?

I wouldn't think that the roleplaying game market is that big to begin with. I scratch my head at why a company would risk alienating a segment of that population with a game system such at that.

Maybe it was thought that the game rules wouldn't be that important to some people?

That's kind of the issue here. I have no problem with you not liking the game. My self-esteem is solid enough that I can accept people not liking everything that I do. I have more of an issue with people conflating personal tastes and quality.

If a person goes to see a movie and doesn't like it, he doesn't say, "Oh, I'm sure some people out there will like the film. I didn't. But, some people will."

What he says is, "Man, that movie was real crap. It was a real stinker."

People do tend to equate their own personal taste with quality.

N01H3r3

Explorer
Play as you want. I don't care.

But, this entire dialogue is supposed to be feedback about what people want out of the game, yes?
Maybe that was the initial purpose... but most of the feedback in this thread is you saying that what you want out of the game is a completely different game.

There's a profit motive to publishing this game, yes? Why take the risk with such a system as 2d20 when you know the market for regular types games is already out there?
There are countless traditional style games on the market already. If people already have a game that they're happy with, it's difficult to grab their attention with something that's almost identical to what they already have.

Beyond that, it's not like 2d20 is the first such game on the market. The massive success of Fate, the various games using Cortex Plus (Smallville, Leverage, Marvel Heroic, Firefly), the various "Powered by the Apocalypse" games show that there's plenty of nontraditional RPGs out there too. It's less of a risk than you might think, and it's an easier sell in a lot of regards to have different games for different styles and purposes.

Just doing a D&D clone would be unremarkable - the risk there would be whether or not people would actually pay attention or just carry on playing the games they already have (there was a lot of talk like this when D&D5 came out - I saw lots of people question whether or not it was worth buying a new version of D&D, when they already have versions of D&D that they like).

If a person goes to see a movie and doesn't like it, he doesn't say, "Oh, I'm sure some people out there will like the film. I didn't. But, some people will."

What he says is, "Man, that movie was real crap. It was a real stinker."

People do tend to equate their own personal taste with quality.
They do. Doesn't mean they're right to do it. Just because lots of people do something doesn't mean it's right.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Maybe that was the initial purpose... but most of the feedback in this thread is you saying that what you want out of the game is a completely different game.

That is my feedback, if you boil it all down and forget all the details. I said it when I first dug into the 2d20 System

I'd love it if the game used a different system. Hell, I'd buy it if the rule system used were "good" (meaning, something I like). I'd be happy with a lot of crunchy or rules lite systems--even a new one, if it made sense to me.

Now, seeing that 2d20 is the House System, my suggestion has always been that the new Conan game go the route of Primeval Thule and publish with different rules.

There are countless traditional style games on the market already. If people already have a game that they're happy with, it's difficult to grab their attention with something that's almost identical to what they already have.

Beyond that, it's not like 2d20 is the first such game on the market. The massive success of Fate, the various games using Cortex Plus (Smallville, Leverage, Marvel Heroic, Firefly), the various "Powered by the Apocalypse" games show that there's plenty of nontraditional RPGs out there too. It's less of a risk than you might think, and it's an easier sell in a lot of regards to have different games for different styles and purposes.

Just doing a D&D clone would be unremarkable - the risk there would be whether or not people would actually pay attention or just carry on playing the games they already have (there was a lot of talk like this when D&D5 came out - I saw lots of people question whether or not it was worth buying a new version of D&D, when they already have versions of D&D that they like).

It will be interesting to see just how well this game does.

BTW, I'm not in love with d20. I just recognize it as a well thought out, well designed system.

They do. Doesn't mean they're right to do it. Just because lots of people do something doesn't mean it's right.

Well, that's human nature.

I think the world is a bit too PC anyway. :cool:

He's not avoiding risk. He's still being careful, because he's outnumbered and outgunned, but he's still taking risks, causing trouble, and being a nuisance. And, as the situation escalates, he has to work harder for his little victories.
He's being cautious. He knows that his task is inherently dangerous, so he tries his best to mitigate the risk, in much the same way a PC would in old D&D. A major difference is that he knows there's a time constraint, so he's forced to take more chances than he's necessarily comfortably with.

There's another difference, though. We're talking about John McClane as though he was an actual person, making decisions on his own behalf. The only reason why we can connect with him, and analyze his choices, is because we buy into that conceit.

We can imagine being him, and we can imagine being in that situation. We can imagine having to make those choices, and experiencing the joy of victory against daunting odds.

Nobody bothers imagining that they're the writer of that story. Sure, it's a great story, but a writer can do anything they want. There's no sense of investment in that outcome.

There was a point brought up on the Happy Jacks RPG podcast - a criticism of the Dresden Files FATE game - that it does a great job of making you feel like Jim Butcher, rather than Harry Dresden. And as neat as that might be, people really want to feel like Harry Dresden.
I've seen similar attempts to distinguish used... which ended up resulting in "storygames" being used as a derogatory term to refer to games that weren't "proper RPGs", which doesn't work when there isn't a clear dividing line between the two extremes (something like Fiasco at one end, GURPS or AD&D at the other), but rather a sliding scale.
I see it as more of a Get Out Of Jail Free card. You can get away with any number of mortal sins against the establishment, as long as you don't claim to also represent that establishment. Say that you're your own thing - alongside FATE, and the many other story-telling games whose names escape me at the moment - and nobody will be able to judge you for what you're not.

I think the dividing line is probably clearer than you realize. Certainly, we're all aware of how easily a traditionalist can spot any deviation from the established ideals. Or if there's a spectrum, then you can clump a lot of games over on one end where players have zero non-character agency, and the other end runs the gamut between Savage Worlds (mostly actor-stance, some author-stance) and Fiasco (almost entirely author-stance). Separating those out into just two categories can be a useful way of sorting information. If you're in the first camp, then you know you don't want anything to do with the second camp. But if you're in the second camp, and you've already accepted some amount of player-authorship, only then is the black-and-white breakdown less useful, because you have to dig further to find your own personal comfort zone.

nerfherder

Explorer

I wouldn't think that the roleplaying game market is that big to begin with. I scratch my head at why a company would risk alienating a segment of that population with a game system such at that.
Because there is a market for games you don't like - e.g. Fiasco, FATE. I don't like Monopoly, but Hasbro keep producing different versions of it, and people keep buying it; I don't scratch my head as to why they are alienating me!

nothing about the game's rules jive with how I like to play or what I consider good game mechanics.
I think that was fairly obvious about 15 pages back...

nothing about the game's rules jive with how I like to play or what I consider good game mechanics.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I have no problem with you not liking the game.

I'll tell you something I do like about the game. And, no kidding, this is something that I think is very cool and will add to the experience of the game. That's all the little effects that I've seen attached to armor. I think that you should do something similar with weapons.

One of the things that people like about D&D (one of the things that keeps it, edition after edition, the best selling roleplaying game) are the "drops". This is all the little things that characters get--usually an expendable resource--while playing the game. These are usually magic-influenced.

It's fun to get a scroll or a potion...a new ring that you know nothing about but automatically sizes to your finger. These are tools that the characters can use to defeat their enemies.

That's something that can be missing from a Conan game because the game universe is different.

I have a subtle form of this in my Mongoose Conan game. Players get excited about finding herbal concoctions and recipes, armor and weapons that are of a "fancy" manufacture, with jewels in the hilt and so forth. Some things are built into the game. A character who spends an hour honing his blade with a large whetstone and makes a check, he gets a +1 to his Critical Hit Threat Range until he makes his first hit (he can sharpen once per day to get the effect).

I do something similar, through a House Rule, with cooking. If a character uses spices (something I can put on dead enemies that the players will get excited to find...hey, look, some salt) and makes a check, those who eat the food get a +1 morale bonus that they can use on any attack, Saving Throw, or Skill Check for the next four hours (at which time the bonus fades).

Here, I've made a mechanical bonus for the roleplaying action of finding a good cook for the party (as an Army travels on its stomach, yes).

A Mongoose Conan support book has a throw for sleeping in the wilderness, based on the weather conditions and what kind, if any, of a shelter was made. Failing the check makes the character fatigued the next day.

But, if your new Conan game can deliver this type of thing through its mundane equipment, that's even better.

Plus, players like choices. If I use this sword, it's good for X but not good for Y. This armor does this but not this. The players have to weigh the pros and cons of the mechanical effects presented by the armor and equipment.

The more choices that you have like this in the game, the better.

It makes equipment more interesting, too.

Plus, you could add processes, like the Cooking Idea above, or the Wilderness Sleeping check, to make the game quite interesting in this regard.

N01H3r3

Explorer
I'll tell you something I do like about the game. And, no kidding, this is something that I think is very cool and will add to the experience of the game. That's all the little effects that I've seen attached to armor. I think that you should do something similar with weapons.
We already did. Indeed, that's where we got the idea for doing it with armour.

I do something similar, through a House Rule, with cooking. If a character uses spices (something I can put on dead enemies that the players will get excited to find...hey, look, some salt) and makes a check, those who eat the food get a +1 morale bonus that they can use on any attack, Saving Throw, or Skill Check for the next four hours (at which time the bonus fades).

Here, I've made a mechanical bonus for the roleplaying action of finding a good cook for the party (as an Army travels on its stomach, yes).

A Mongoose Conan support book has a throw for sleeping in the wilderness, based on the weather conditions and what kind, if any, of a shelter was made. Failing the check makes the character fatigued the next day.

But, if your new Conan game can deliver this type of thing through its mundane equipment, that's even better.
I dabbled in a few ideas like that in Mutant Chronicles - there's a sidebar in the skills chapter that covers environmental conditions and fatigue (though the fatigue rule will be getting a makeover for later games). Sleep deprivation was one of those factors, but stimulants (tea and coffee, energy drinks, etc) granted a bonus to resist this.

I like that kind of evocative little rule.

Plus, players like choices. If I use this sword, it's good for X but not good for Y. This armor does this but not this. The players have to weigh the pros and cons of the mechanical effects presented by the armor and equipment.

The more choices that you have like this in the game, the better.

It makes equipment more interesting, too.

Plus, you could add processes, like the Cooking Idea above, or the Wilderness Sleeping check, to make the game quite interesting in this regard.
Again, agreed.

Weaponry is heavily influenced by the design goal that different weapons should serve different purposes - there's no 'best' weapon, merely better ones for different situations. Daggers, for example, tend to have the Unforgiving quality, which adds to damage and penetrative ability when used with the Exploit Weakness action (such as when sneaking up on an unaware opponent, or grappling), representing their use at close quarters against vulnerable foes. Rather than just doing less damage because they're small, daggers are valuable in a particular set of circumstances. Similarly, lances have the Cavalry quality, which makes them more effective when they're used from horseback.

And I agree that meaningful choices is important - it's something I'm passionate about.

Remove ads