CONAN! The 4th Most Anticipated RPG Of 2016 Funds In Two Hours! Preview Here!

The fourth most anticipated tabletop roleplaying game of 2016, Robert E. Howard's Conan Roleplaying Game from Modiphius Entertainment, has hit Kickstarter and funded almost immediately (that's no surprise - Modiphius, like Monte Cook Games, has mastered the art of the Kickstarter and runs regular blockbuster crowdfunding campaigns). There have been multiple Conan games over the years, of course; this particular one is, in the publisher's words, "Conan roleplaying as Robert E. Howard wrote it – savage pulp adventure battling ancient horrors in the Hyborian Age". The company has also lined up a stellar collection of artists, so it promises to be a beautiful book when it arrives. I have a couple of pages preview of the upcoming QuickStart.

The fourth most anticipated tabletop roleplaying game of 2016, Robert E. Howard's Conan Roleplaying Game from Modiphius Entertainment, has hit Kickstarter and funded almost immediately (that's no surprise - Modiphius, like Monte Cook Games, has mastered the art of the Kickstarter and runs regular blockbuster crowdfunding campaigns). There have been multiple Conan games over the years, of course; this particular one is, in the publisher's words, "Conan roleplaying as Robert E. Howard wrote it – savage pulp adventure battling ancient horrors in the Hyborian Age". The company has also lined up a stellar collection of artists, so it promises to be a beautiful book when it arrives. I have a couple of pages preview of the upcoming QuickStart.

photo-original.jpg

As I mentioned, it has funded already, so it's already ploughing into the stretch goals - a standalone art book, a campaign book called Conan the Thief, a double-sided Hyborian map, and so on. There's apparently a free QuickStart sample, but it won't be available until Thursday.

So what do you get for your money? For £15 you get the full core book PDF, and for £30 you get the hardcover. It's a 368-page book, full-colour. Alternatively you can get the art book in print for £40; and a whole bunch of combinations of books, PDFs and stuff at different pledge level.

The game uses Modiphius' own 2d20 system (that's the system in Mutant Chronicles 3E, John Carter Warlord of Mars, etc. - roll two d20s, roll as low as possible on each – the more dice that roll low, the more success); it's based on Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.

Modiphius has kindly sent along a preview of a few pages of the upcoming QuickStart!

Conan-Quickstart-5.jpg

Conan-Quickstart-17.jpg

Will Sorcery *feel* mysterious, unreliable and dangerous? And, if so, how will that be represented through game mechanics? Something I felt was missing from the "Primeval Thule" setting was that casting spells was, for the most part, just like in the Forgotten Realms: mundane, predictable and safe. Boring.

Yes, it is mysterious, dangerous and dark.

Chimpy

First Post
Having learned a bit more about the 2d20 system my feelings towards this game have gone from ambivalent to very interested. All these appeal to me:

• Skills tied to attributes
  • XP spend on skill improvements, talent trees etc
  • Fortune and Doom points
  • Effects triggering off the result of damage dice
  • Damage soak
  • Vigour and Resolve pools for physical and mental condition
  • Enemy group mechanics

(Sounds like another popular game system that rhymes with "car flaws"? :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

trystero

Explorer
Having learned a bit more about the 2d20 system my feelings towards this game have gone from ambivalent to very interested. All these appeal to me:

• Skills tied to attributes
  • XP spend on skill improvements, talent trees etc
  • Fortune and Doom points
  • Effects triggering off the result of damage dice
  • Damage soak
  • Vigour and Resolve pools for physical and mental condition
  • Enemy group mechanics

(Sounds like another popular game system that rhymes with "car flaws"? :p)

Your rhyme is not my rhyme; I'm from the US Midwest, so it's closer to "car bores". :)

I'm not too surprised, since both games are by the same lead designer (who also designed 3rd-edition WFRP). I have to say that I find the 2d20 system much more appealing, not least because it doesn't need special dice.

trystero

Explorer
Have they revealed what the "Blessing of Mitra" stretch goal is yet? They've surged past the number needed for it.

They've revealed the one for £100K; it's the poster map with Brom art. The £200K Blessing of Mitra stretch goal hasn't been reached yet. (The pledge total is at $269,088 as I write, but that's only £185,242.)

Chimpy

First Post
I'm not too surprised, since both games are by the same lead designer (who also designed 3rd-edition WFRP). I have to say that I find the 2d20 system much more appealing, not least because it doesn't need special dice.
I've heard that FFGSW was an improvement over WFRP3, so if the pattern follows, perhaps 2d20 is a more streamlined evolution after FFGSW.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Not a fan of the 2d20 system myself, especially when I already have all the rules I need with Savage Worlds and Beasts & Barbarians. But I'm still backing at the PDF Master Pledge to get all the books in PDF. For the art, fluff and adventure ideas alone I think it's totally worth it.

trystero

Explorer
I've heard that FFGSW was an improvement over WFRP3, so if the pattern follows, perhaps 2d20 is a more streamlined evolution after FFGSW.

I didn't much care for FFG Star Wars and found WFRP3 interesting but slow and clunky. So far, the iteration of the 2d20 System found in the Conan playtest has made me very happy: it's much cleaner and less fussy than either of the FFG games, doesn't require special dice -- you can train yourself to read normal d6s as Combat Dice in about two rolls -- and plays very entertainingly.

There are certainly some elements in common with Jay Little's FFG games, but I'd recommend trying out 2d20 as its own thing regardless of how you felt about those games.

They've revealed the one for £100K; it's the poster map with Brom art. The £200K Blessing of Mitra stretch goal hasn't been reached yet. (The pledge total is at $269,088 as I write, but that's only £185,242.)

We are at 228,504 now, so the Conan the Pirate will be unlocked at 230,000. And today's update is asking pledgers on which Virtual Tabletop app we want to use for this rpg. I already own Fantasy Grounds so voting for that one. What a fun KS so far!

Remove ads

Remove ads