• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Concentration on Psionic Discipline and Magic Spell

bitjunkie

Villager
The new Psionics rules use Concentration to activate and maintain disciplines. The PDF says they use the same rules as spellcasting, and that you can only concentrate on one discipline at a time. However it does not specify whether you can concentrate on both a single discipline and a single spell at the same time. IMO this is left up to the DM to decide.

Does a character have a single "concentration slot" which can be used for either a spell or a discipline? Or can a character concentrate on both a single discipline and a single spell at the same time?

My answer as DM is to allow the "double concentration" as disciplines are distinct from spells. What are your thoughts?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Although I think the final rules will be that you can only concentrate on one thing at a time, I don't think they're written that way at present.

CapnZapp

Legend
Of course concentration in the psionics document refers to the one and only concentration mechanic in 5E.

Arguing you can concentrate both on a psionic discipline and a spell at the same time is silly.

Klaus

First Post
One Concentration "slot", period. That is the balancing mechanic to avoid "stacking effects", be they from two spells or from a spell and a discipline.

Ashkelon

First Post
You can only concentrate on 1 thing period. There are no concentration slots. You cannot concentrate on both a spell and a psionic discipline.

If the designers wanted to allow this stacking, they could have used a different term than concentration, such as psionic focus from 3e.

jgsugden

Legend
RAW: Unclear.
RAI: You can concentrate on one thing at a time, whether that is a discipline, a spell or something else.
RAF: You can concentrate on one thing at a time to avoid stacking things not intended to be stacked.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
First, welcome to the boards. Hope you like it here.

As for your question: I don't believe thinking in terms of "slots" is helpful: a character can concentrate on one thing at a time, period.

EvanNave55

Explorer
I agree you can only concentrate on one thing at a time be it a spell, or discipline
RAW: Unclear.
RAI: You can concentrate on one thing at a time, whether that is a discipline, a spell or something else.
RAF: You can concentrate on one thing at a time to avoid stacking things not intended to be stacked.
What does RAF stand for?

Remove ads