• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Concerned about the Rogue's Trap Spotter Talent

DMBrendon

First Post
In my game, the Rogue has recently got past 6th level and gained the Trap Spotter Talent, which means I need to make a Perception check automatically when he comes within 10ft of a trap. I'm a bit concerned about it and momentarily considered banning it because he never ever has to say again "I'm looking for traps". I'm worried that it will make exploration and traps less interesting because they simply don't need to think about them any more. It's almost the same as not having traps in the game from now on. An additional thing that I do, in a bit of a lesson from what I've heard about D&D Next, is that I ask him top describe what he's doing when trying to find the trap, and if its appropriate to the trap, I have him find it automatically without having to roll a check.

When a trap is present, I always give the party some sort of clue, so they don't need to search every 10x10 square of the dungeon for traps. They only search when there is a likelihood of there being one around, and that seems to me like the way it should be - traps become interesting and thought about during certain moments, and fade into the background for the rest of the time. I do like the fact that he has chosen a non-combat feat as I try to emphasize that combat is not the only way to "win". It certainly does make him a valuable person to have around, doing something that no-one else can do, so the has an opportunity to shine, so I can see the good aspect of it.

What is your experience with Trap Spotter?

The way traps are used have changed in a lot of groups; perhaps your player is not a fan of old school traps.

New traps tend not to be hidden at all (making Trapfinding not that useful), instead being part of an encounter and making the whole team have to take them on. I think a lot of rogue players these days give up Trapfinding for that reason.

Remathilis

Legend
The way traps are used have changed in a lot of groups; perhaps your player is not a fan of old school traps.

New traps tend not to be hidden at all (making Trapfinding not that useful), instead being part of an encounter and making the whole team have to take them on. I think a lot of rogue players these days give up Trapfinding for that reason.

Speak for yourself; I still put poison needles in locks, swinging scythe blades down halls, and deadfalls in the doorways!

That said, I did Trapspotter like 4e does passive checks: 10+Perception mod. If you want to do better, you can "actively" search and roll or take 20. In effect, Trapspotter is Always On Skill Mastery for Perception/Traps.

Yeah, its a houserule, but it works.

Paraxis

Explorer
Ask him why he took trapspotter. He probably wants to not have to worry about searching every 10' or trying to read your mind for those clues you drop. I think the way you do traps sounds great, but I understand the player not wanting to have to worry about saying he searches every lock, door, passage, portal, pedestal, statue, alcove, ect for traps and the one he forgets to check is the one that will make his character seem like a fool.

I love passive perception from 4e and when I do run Pathfinder I use it for everyone all the time giving everyone essentially trapspotter for free.

Libramarian

Adventurer
The player still has an incentive to describe how they're looking for a trap because they can still get the automatic success on the perception check you're rolling on their behalf due to the feat. So if they enjoy doing that and it's been effective I don't think this feat should change their behaviour much. Just remind them that even though you're handling their perception checks now the automatic success thing still applies.

Wicht

Hero
Our rogue is being played by a player who was very conscientious about searching every square foot for traps. Trapspotter helps speed the game up, imo.

Starfox

Hero
Trapspotter only finds the surprise traps and DM trickery -and the occasional dumbly missed clue. It only gives one Perception roll. Searching ONCE for traps? At least three searches is what a serious rogue needs when he knows traps are about.

Last edited:

brvheart

Explorer
As a DM I agree with Wicht and tend to find that trap spotter speeds up the game especially with old school trap heavy dungeons. It can really slow a game down when the rogue stops every 10' to check for traps. Besides, it gives the players a reason to play a rogue. Just because they have the talent doesn't mean that they notice the trap. It is a DM rolled item so they don't know when they miss. Believe me I still catch the party in plenty of traps even with it! Their alchemist is Feebleminded from the last one!

N'raac

First Post
Our rogue is being played by a player who was very conscientious about searching every square foot for traps. Trapspotter helps speed the game up, imo.

Trapspotter only finds the surprise traps and DM trickery -and the occasional dumbly missed clue. It only gives one Perception roll. Searching ONCE for traps? At least three searches is what a serious rogue needs when he knows traps are about.

As a DM I agree with Wicht and tend to find that trap spotter speeds up the game especially with old school trap heavy dungeons. It can really slow a game down when the rogue stops every 10' to check for traps. Besides, it gives the players a reason to play a rogue. Just because they have the talent doesn't mean that they notice the trap. It is a DM rolled item so they don't know when they miss. Believe me I still catch the party in plenty of traps even with it! Their alchemist is Feebleminded from the last one!

I'm not sure how it adds to the game to spend 10 minutes checking for traps to get 5' further down the hallway, with half a dozen trap checks before anyone will move forward. It seems unlikely any but the most paranoid would routinely move this slowly. Now, in an ancient crypt well known for being laden with traps? Sure. But in the wilderness (goblins might set a snare trap!) it seems much less likely. It also seems very "fantasy hero" consistent for a character's perceptions to be so keen he just seems to *know* when something is amiss.

But, I guess, if you like hearing "I check for traps" 90 times an hour so the party can advance 75 feet, to each his own and enjoy your games!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads