D&D 5E Concerned that Geas will Railroad my players

Oofta

Legend
On a side note, even if I were to do the psychic damage, I think there are a lot of ways to fluff it to be more evocative. The PC affected is affected in a dream, attacked or surrounded by a caustic fog that eats away their skin for example.

The important thing to me is to treat something like this as more than just a spell. Find a way to weave it into your world and it's theme. I have some borderline gothic horror in my campaigns so the psychic damage could come from a waking hallucination of being swarmed by rats that no one else can see.

Which gives me an idea for my own campaign. The group is investigating a mysterious death; the npc started screaming one day and then dropped dead. A ghost spellcaster wants someone to find their murderer and the geas is going to be passed on until someone solves it (or destroys the ghost). I think my group would really have a lot of fun with this but it's definitely not something for every group. I'd also want to have alternative solutions instead of seeking vengeance for the ghost.

I think if you use the dreams and visions like others have said, the players will buy into it. If not, then they will want to try to find a way to remove the geas, which you absolutely let them do. Although with the side effect of crippling the sword's power. (Can't have your cake and eat it too).
I would also focus on the wording "each time it acts in a manner directly counter to your instructions". This doesn't have to mean that if it doesn't move that goal forward, that you are punished. But rather make it so if they actively and knowingly make a choice that will move them away from the goal or make it harder is what punishes them.
Killing a monster that is terrorizing a village while on there way isn't working against the goal. Knowing that taking time to kill the monster will mean they miss the only boat to the other side of the world for the next 6 months which might mean they miss their chance to complete the goal on time, would result in the damage.

I agree with this. Let them make the choice to pick up the magic item and accept the quest, or not, knowing the consequences. Essentially, this magic item will be setting the tone of the campaign for a while, and this enables them to buy into that, or not, as they wish.

Give them a choice if they want to accept the artifact and geas. Let them walk in with eyes open.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A geas can be fun - in certain circumstances. Picking up an artifact and attuning it isn't one of them.

Geas is a stick, used to whomp characters who aren't making progress toward a goal or who violate the terms of the goal. Great for relatively short missions, not long goals. Use carrots instead. Let the PC know that the artifact is devoted to a particular quest, one that was important to its previous, heroic owner... and that its power will wax as progress is made, wane as other goals are pursued. If the PC wants the power, they'll get on the quest, if satisfied with low power, fine, they can pick up the quest later.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Give them a choice if they want to accept the artifact and geas. Let them walk in with eyes open.

^This.

Telegraph the cost of accepting the artifact and let the player make a meaningful choice. Otherwise, it may be perceived as a "gotcha" and thus seen as unfair. If a player makes the choice to accept the artifact knowing that it may force his or her character to perform a quest, then the player is not being "railroaded."

Quartz

Hero
You are the DM. If you don't like it, change it! Even if you keep the Geas, the artifact might recognise that the PCs aren't capable of achieving its goals so the Geas may be quiescent until they are. It may even see the PCs' current quest as more important.

Umm.. this isn't the Sword of Kas?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
^This.

Telegraph the cost of accepting the artifact and let the player make a meaningful choice. Otherwise, it may be perceived as a "gotcha" and thus seen as unfair. If a player makes the choice to accept the artifact knowing that it may force his or her character to perform a quest, then the player is not being "railroaded."

Right.

The players need to understand (assuming they don't already) that an artifact is not a typical magic item. Artifacts come with big strings attached. Merely coming into the orbit of an artifact will have consequences; attuning to one - well that's going to have a big, big effect on the campaign and by doing so (attuning) the players need to accept that fact.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Exhastion seems like a good mechanic here; it starts out gradual, then ramps up seriously. Their min exhastion level reaches 1 after ~2 days, 2 after ~4 days, 3 after ~8 days, 4 after ~16 days, 5 after ~32 days and 6 (dead) after ~64 days.

Serious progress towards the geas ramps it down at a rate of 1 per day.

Narratively, this is caused by endless nightmares and dreams as they sleep; they are unable to rest. These dreams can include information from the druid about how to go about the quest etc.

Note that this will make the character cursed incompetent after only a few days on side quests. So a clock is ticking.

If you have time, having the cursed character do solo "dream quests" outside of the main sessions could keep that player engaged (as their player gets more and more incompetent in the regular sessions, the "dream quest" sessions can make them feel some spotlight).

I like this, but maybe pair it with a carrot approach as well as a stick?

Namely, the more the character aligns with the artifacts goals the better it functions for the character (eg. spell DCs from the artifact could increase by +1 or even +2, 1 extra use of some of its powers, a minor detrimental effect is suppressed, etc. - whatever is most thematic for the artifact).

This was the way 4e presented artifacts - and I think it was a great way to do it.

akr71

Hero
There are a lot of great ideas here, thanks folks. I really like the psychic damage (if applicable) through dreams and visions. Yes, I will definitely telegraph the consequences of accepting/attuning to the artifact. Many of the magic items I create have powers that unlock over time, so I think I will implement that strategy here. Yes, removing the Geas will be a possibility.

This is the players' first sandbox so they are occasionally a little lost for what to do. I'm learning on how better to drop hints and hooks for them and they are learning how to do the social pillar. If I play it right, I think they will really enjoy it.

I will also have to make the Geas a slow burn since the ancient foe of the archdruid is lich, but no @Quartz it isn't the Sword of Kas :) It is a benevolent weapon, with some detrimental properties.

akr71

Hero
You are the DM. If you don't like it, change it! Even if you keep the Geas, the artifact might recognise that the PCs aren't capable of achieving its goals so the Geas may be quiescent until they are. It may even see the PCs' current quest as more important.

Umm.. this isn't the Sword of Kas?
Excellent point! Ties in with my slow burn comment above nicely.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases