D&D 5E Conerning Gnomes (+thread. please don't crap the thread with anti-gnome negativity)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, is anyone like me in having rarely if ever played Gnomes who are ridiculous?

Define "rediculous" :p

Whatever else they are, gnomes are tricksters. This means indirect approaches to problems. It means using the opponents weaknesses against them, frequently with karmic bent. This often winds up with a result that is comical, from an exterior point of view.

Oofta

Legend
In my Eberron campaign, I added Cookie Gnomes in underground caverns who work with Mushroom Men; also, gypsy Garden Gnomes who use the Draconic Prophecy with rainbow-coloured tarot cards.

I thought it was elves who made cookies?
download.jpg

Hmmm ... wait a minute. Short, funny hat, kind of chubby ... hey! These are gnomes! NABISCO YOU WILL PAY FOR LYING TO ME!!!!!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Being able to talk to rats in a urban campaign is about as useful as that ability gets IMO. Rats are everywhere and can get anywhere.

The Rock Gnome frankly sucks though. Tinker is flavor at best and generally bloody useless, and Artificer's Lore is neat, but really, really situational. I'll take critter talk and the cantrip every time. The Rock Gnome's total package isn't as good as either of the abilities forest gnomes get. I'm not completely married to optimization, and I have no problem playing a sub-optimal Race/class pairing if it fits the character I have in mind, but I don't think I could pull the trigger on Rock Gnome regardless of concept. That makes me sad, because I like Rock Gnomes.

Honestly, give them the mending cantrip, leave the critter talk in, plus the CON vs DEX and I'm pretty happy. Maybe give them advantage or expertise with Tinker's Tools, or even Artisan Tools generally or a subset of that list (at the expense of critter talk depending on breath of application).

Yeah between rats, cats, and birds, speaking to critters is insanely useful in urban campaigns.

And I agree about Rock Gnomes. Even my inventor gnome is a Forest Gnome.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
For those who want little boost to their rock gnomes, you can steal the Tireless Precision from GGR's Veldakens, it fits the master artisan theme of the rock gnomes. You could also add the mending cantrip if you so desire.

Urriak

Explorer
I thought it was elves who made cookies?
View attachment 107706

Hmmm ... wait a minute. Short, funny hat, kind of chubby ... hey! These are gnomes! NABISCO YOU WILL PAY FOR LYING TO ME!!!!!

Unironically, Christmas Elves, "elves in a shoe," smurfs and cereal mascots are pretty much my go-to assumption of what a gnome is.

Whimsical, overly positive, creative with some ingrained magic (that is mostly non-harmful). Not quite halflings, which are pretty much hobbits.

lall

Explorer
Speaking of footballs, my gnomes’ noses are smaller than footballs. See the Pathfinder gnome. Also, my forest gnomes are smaller than halflings. See 2e and 3.5.

Golarion gnomes are sort of crazy, nature-based fey tricksters. It's not my personally favorite incarnation. I similarly agree that Rock gnomes are bit lackluster compared to the other subtypes. Emphasizing History as an alternate means of identifying items and maybe expanding / improving the list of things that could be tinkered would go a long way toward the subrace more attractive. Some ideas (all subject to the rock gnome tinkering rules and limitation of 3 at any one time):

* Repeating crossbow: A crossbow loses the loading property; but breaks and becomes nonfunctional if a natural 1 appears on a attack roll made with the device. At least until repaired through tinkering once again.

* Clockwork familiar: When capable of obtaining a familiar through a spell or class feature, a rock gnome can construct a clockwork version instead. A clockwork familiar counts as a construct; does not need to eat, sleep, breath; gains immunity to poison; and can be repaired if reduced to zero hit points by spending an hour's worth of time and using 5gp worth of parts.

* Clockwork toy: Can move up to 20 feet per round in a direction chosen by the gnome prior to activation. If a flask of acid, alchemist fire or dose of inhaled poison is used in the construction, the rock gnome can use the device to splash the alchemist fire, acid, or poison at creatures within 5 feet of the toy after detonation; the gnome must decide how many rounds until detonation occurs at the time the toy is activated. (This uses the gnomes attack bonuses at the time of construction, but gains advantage on the roll due to mechanical support). The toy becomes broken and nonfunctional after detonating.

* Timepiece: The gnome can use a tinkering slot to construct a time-keeping device, accurate to the minute.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases