Confess! Tell the most horrible thing you've done to your players

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Exactly!

To be fair, I have seen DMs and adventures who were truly trying to cause a TPK or setting up a largely unavoidable situation where a TPK was nigh-inevitable, and that sucks, but the vast majority I've seen required an awful lot of bad decisions to be made for a sustained period. The Force Cage one back in 2E was in an adventure I'd run twice before, and that encounter had never killed anyone (perhaps surprisingly given the bow involved, but not really given the dude wearing it had no special defenses beyond a good AC, was a normal human, and was essentially one Hold Person or the like away from being invalidated). I've nearly caused a TPK by accident a number of times by rolling, but it's never actually happened. Closest was also in 2E when six goblins vs seven PCs had me rolling 4 nat 20s for the goblins in 1 round (and both other goblins hit) and the goblins had won initiative, so like 4 of the PCs were downed and bleeding out. Luckily the other three managed to kill the goblins. In early 4E I had 4 out of 5 PCs down in one encounter, but that was mostly due to them running face-first into a room, not good rolling. Ironically the one PC who finished off the enemies and kept them alive didn't survive the campaign.

Last TPK I had was when I ran Caverns of Thracia with Mythras, and a bunch of conversion creatures from D&D that someone made. It slowly built up too, where the wights in the chapel, and Thanatos got some, but they went back and picked up new characters, then it was merely some poor tactical choices on the bottom level vs the gnolls, dog brother, and minotaur; such as splitting up. Everyone was happy enough though about it, and didn't feel I was unfair.

caverns and mythras 1a.jpg

Shiroiken

Legend
I deliberately set up a TPK in 1E Legend of the Five Rings. It started with my "DM PC" (who was really nothing more than a plot device) who died as a result of a player's poor decision, and I acted extremely upset. The players were empathetic, but character death was common. The session continued, and the cause of my character's death was discovered, putting that player's character at risk. The other players took what they felt were reasonable actions to try and save him (they totally were, but I was toying with them at this point). The end result was the characters brought before the emperor, who ordered the execution of the 1st PC and the rest of the group to commit seppuku (ritual suicide).

The players were flabbergasted and rightfully upset. One of them accused me of seeking vengeance against my character's death. I told them that wasn't the reason. It was because of the date... April 1st. They were literally chasing me around the house ready to beat my *** :ROFLMAO:

Last session I had the high priest of a powerful church (and also the ruler of the town they were in), gain the trust of the party, and offer them access to all manner of resources that would conveniently split them all up (he offered them full access to his library, invited the priest to take part in a baptism, gave the blacksmith access to an important forge, helped the party leader on a treasure hunt, etc). Then when they were all alone, his soldiers prepared to arrest them all.

I don't think any of them will allow themselves to be carried off without a fight though. But I like how it played out. The high priest was unable to lure their druid into a trap, so he is a wild card at this point, which I have also prepared for.

MarkB

Legend
In my Eberron game, one of the characters is a Tabaxi Arcane Trickster with a background with House Cannith who's very into magic item crafting, so the player is always on the lookout for rare and unusual components. They were making a foray into the Mournland, and throughout their journey I really played up the concept of the place corrupting living beings and bringing magical effects to life. Every time they cast a spell they had to make a Wild Magic style check to see if it would turn into a living spell, and one early encounter had them attacked by some magic items that had become animated.

Their journey took them to the Glowing Chasm, and as they gradually came closer I played up the fact that the corrupting effects were increasing the further they went. They faced several examples of corrupted wildlife, and each morning they had to roll a d20. When one of them, the Tabaxi, rolled a 1, she found that her character had undergone a subtle mutation, becoming more feral - she no longer enjoyed cooked meat, and had an urge to hunt down any small animal she saw.

So when they got to the edge of the chasm and saw that it was lined with glowing purple dragonshards like the inside of a geode, and teeming with large, mutated insectoids that had been corrupted by these crystals, I felt like I'd made it clear that this was not a place to be messed with. But I really, really should have known better.

The player of the Tabaxi immediately declared that, before they left, she had to get some samples of these dragonshards. She understood that their energies might be dangerous, so she emptied out the party's Bag of Holding, rappelled stealthily a little way down the cliff edge, and harvested some shards, putting them in the bag.

At that point I ran an unplanned encounter in which the nearest of the monstrous forms in the chasm - a Purple Worm - noticed her, and attempted to eat the party shortly afterwards. They got through that experience with the party's cleric unconscious inside the worm's gullet by the end of the encounter.

But the true sting in the tale happened three sessions later, when they visited a contact they'd done business with in Arcanix, hoping to get their dragonshards assessed and evaluated. In all this time they hadn't accessed the Bag of Holding, opening it only once they were in this professor's laboratory. That's when they found that the dragonshards had integrated themselves into the Bag's interior and turned it into a living item, which they discovered when it promptly swallowed the Tabaxi when she opened it, along with most of the lab's equipment and an apprentice. The ensuing battle ended with the bag thoroughly slain, but the apprentice and lab equipment, which were still inside it at the time, were ejected into the Astral Plane. The Tabaxi only made it out of the vortex because she was wearing Winged Boots and was able to fly out before it closed.

The players were upset mostly by the loss of the bag, and the fact that the professor wanted them to take responsibility for misplacing his apprentice.

raysosher

Ray Sosher
once I have beat one of my Fifa players so bad that he broke his phone after loosing. He just smashed it on the floor and broke down. After that we have talked and laughed about it for years and still now.

Remove ads