Confessions of a Niche Gamer

takyris

First Post
One of my work buddies wanted to go see a gaming store that he'd just discovered in the area (I'm in Edmonton, which has a few gaming stores, but not many). I didn't exactly need anything -- between Grim Tales, M&M2E, and the SRD, my gaming needs are pretty much met for any game I want to run (and that's not counting the three corebooks I no longer use because they're from 3E) -- but I opted to go anyway, just to be sociable.

My wife told me to go ahead and get something while I was there -- explicitly told me, because she didn't want me to feel like I was spending money uselessly. The guy I was with is kind of shy, so him actually proposing a half-hour road trip to a gaming store is a big deal. I had, essentially, carte blanche.

I checked here before I left, looking for stuff I could look for. Found a lot of good reviews and a few products that might actually help my game. I had a list of things to buy.

We get to the store. We go in. I look around.

I find nothing on my list.

I go to the guy at the front counter, who is very polite (although largely unintelligible due to a thick British accent and very fast speech). I ask if he would mind checking his inventory, and he happily does so.

They do not, in fact, have "Slavelords of Cydonia".

They do not, in fact, have "Lords of Madness".

(Can you tell I'm running a Grim Tales game heavy on aberrations?)

I ended up looking long and hard at the d20 Modern Menace Manual, priced at $55 Canadian, before giving up and just getting some pretty dice.

As I walked out of the shop, I said to my friend, "I had no idea I'd become such a niche gamer."

"Kinda," he says.

"But Slavelords of Cydonia is the biggest product for Grim Tales!" I shout. "Which is largely the d20 Modern rules, which are in turn adapted from D&D, which is the biggest roleplaying game out there!"

"You're kind of a niche gamer," my friend says.

"Okay, but Lords of Madness is from WIZARDS. They had the undead one and the dragon one. How could they not have the aberrations one?"

"They had the Stronghold Builder's Guide."

"Yes. I'm sure they did."

(sigh)

Agent Oracle

First Post
Heh, and here I'm worried that I'm under cultured as gamers go!

My FLGS has... (lemmie think) 9 shelves devoted to RPG's. On each shelf is only one copy of any given book. All books are side-by-side like you'd find in a reference library with limited space. The new releases have their own display stands.

Up until this year, i had ONLY played D&D, now I'm trying to diversify myself enough to learn new systems, and new ideas.

Incidentally, if you like Grim Tales, you might also like Etherscope. It's based off the d20 modern engine, but the setting is modern / Victorian steam/cyberpunk. The best part is how easy it is to adapt old shadowrun / call of cthulhu / any setting, anywhere adventures for it.

I just bought my very first GURPS book yesterday... still don't quite understand character creation, but I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Slavelords got reamed by the Osseum debacle, where the distributor fled town without paying anyone what he owed. The truth is that a lot of gaming stores got burned on excess inventory, and actually getting good products into the hands of gamers is really challenging.

takyris

First Post
Gah. That stinks.

The store had a fair number of GURPS supplements (which I think is cool, despite not playing GURPS), a lot of 3rd-party "Hey, here's my world" books that honestly didn't impress me as different enough to merit a look, and some of the basic stuff. There was a ton of Eberron stuff, which is a shame -- I like the setting, but I can't use much of it in my current game. There were some questionable book choices, like having "The Complete Psionic" and the Psionic's Handbook but not the Expanded Psionics Handbook. The had the Complete Divine, but not the Complete Adventurer, which I was actually considering. They had a lot of class-based support by a lot of people -- Quintessentials and suchlike.

They had Spycraft's Shadowforce Archer, but not Spycraft itself. I didn't see any Supers stuff.

Sadly, I can't even say that their selection was terrible. It was pretty decent. I just... am apparently a niche gamer. Which is sad. One of the reasons I play d20 is that, you know, d20 is BIG. My buddy plays Blue Planet, and you know, if you walk into a store and can't find a Blue Planet supplement, that's probably not a huge surprise. I just figured that they'd have what I needed.

Really, I just wanted Slavelords or some good aberrations stuff. Is that so wrong? :)

Aeric

Explorer
I used to be a pretty well-rounded gamer. I played everything: GURPS, CoC, Mekton, Vampire, Shadowrun, etc.

Then D&D 3.0 came out, and suddenly, nobody wanted to play anything other than D&D.

In the six years since 3.0 came out, I have played about a month's worth of non-D&D games.

Every time a campaign ends, I bust out the non-D&D books. And nobody's interested.

A friend of mine was going to run Deadlands, but it fell through. Ditto with Angel/Buffy.

So here I am, starting up yet another D&D campaign (Shackled City) because it's literally the only game in town.

I am a niche gamer, but not by choice.

Belen

Adventurer
Aeric said:
I used to be a pretty well-rounded gamer. I played everything: GURPS, CoC, Mekton, Vampire, Shadowrun, etc.

Then D&D 3.0 came out, and suddenly, nobody wanted to play anything other than D&D.

In the six years since 3.0 came out, I have played about a month's worth of non-D&D games.

Every time a campaign ends, I bust out the non-D&D books. And nobody's interested.

A friend of mine was going to run Deadlands, but it fell through. Ditto with Angel/Buffy.

So here I am, starting up yet another D&D campaign (Shackled City) because it's literally the only game in town.

I am a niche gamer, but not by choice.

Um...D&D is not a "niche" in the gaming community. If you play D&D, then you are a member of the masses.

Jupp

Explorer
BelenUmeria said:
Um...D&D is not a "niche" in the gaming community. If you play D&D, then you are a member of the masses.

Yup, start playing "Midgard" or "Engel D20", then you are niche :D

The fact that you HAVE a place to buy gaming stuff that is not a Borders or Barnes & Noble or [insert chain bookstore here] is a boon. Be happy with that.

Hmmph. Uppity coddled gamers. I have to fight through hordes of Da Vinci Code readers just to get near the sci-fi and fantasy section, and then I have to battle all the Anita Blake: Vampire Bimbo readers to get near the D&D books. And then the only thing they have is 37 copies of "Hero Builder's Guidebook". Bah.

Remove ads