• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confirmation cat is a threat to an average person

frankthedm

First Post
Pbartender said:
Then I bandaged them up with antibiotic cream. It didn't stop them from getting infected in the end, though likely it didn't end up nearly as bad as if I hadn't.
Did the wound really need a bandage? if it it needs to be kept closed that is one thing, but IME*, bandages make wound close slower due to dampness.

*No major bites, just lacerations from falls and slices from X-Acto blades {damn minis].

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Umbran said:
My wife is a veterinarian. While she's very good at what she does, she occasionally gets bitten or scratched. The most recent memorable such bite went septic on her within an hour.
What animal?

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
To me, it seems obvious that 'Confirmation Cat' has the Power Critical feat. Where else would he get a nickname like that?

-Hyp.

And here I thought this thread would be about a sibling of Longcat.

Thotas said:
I'm reminded of the old "What's New" strip in which Phil and Dixie recommend various ways to simulate (and thereby better appreciate) the experiences our PCs go thru. To understand melee combats after effects, they offered the idea of duct taping a dozen cats to your naked self ... and then taking a shower.
And that's after an hour "conditioning" your arms holding them fully extended in front of you and bashing two phonebooks together (to simulate 5 rounds of combat). I always wondered how you had the strength to pick up the cats let alone tape them to yourself.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
HeavenShallBurn said:
That's why you use bleach, as soon as you're bitten or scratched wash out the wound in chlorine bleach. I've been doing it for more than a decade and I've never had a cut go septic yet.

You, again, are lucky. Bites are often puncture wounds - and they can be a devil to clean, because it can be difficult to get your cleanser down into, and then back out of, the wound.

frankthedm said:
What animal?

In this case, a cat. But a small dog could easily have yielded the same result. A large dog, of course, can do a heck of a lot of damage, such that infection would only be one facet of an emergency room visit. Needless to say, we carry good health insurance.

felon said:
OR, introduce them very early on to the concept of swift and terrible retribution.

Sometimes I certain owners need to be introduced to the concept. :mad:

While it is commonly used, negative reinforcement is not a particularly good tool for training animals. Again, they don't think like we do, and they tend to get the wrong message. Behavior modification is a subtle thing.

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Umbran said:
Every animal is "shifty and untrustworthy", insofar as they don't think like humans. Their concerns are not yours, their fears are not yours. What seems perfectly reasonable to the cat, dog, goat, or what have you, can seem as unpredictable, dangerous behavior to someone who doesn't understand.

Sorry, I should have known that we would probably get into animal psychology. Should have posted my opinion a bit less offhanded. While it's true that animals being animals and possessing thought patterns, needs, and concerns different than our own are going to seem shifty and untrustworthy to an extent, in my experiences with cats, they are at the far extreme of these characteristics.

Umbran said:
You speak as if humans didn't also have their quirks - there is no such thing as a person who is "100% normal" mentally, either. We just understand human quirks and forgive them.

Who said anything about humans? I thought we were talking about them damn no good cats! ;) Seriously, though, if you want to talk about humans, we're far worse than any animals when it comes to bad behavior. But I think we all know that.

Umbran said:
Which is not to say that the animals didn't have problems - given that in the long term animals often react to stimuli in fundamentally different ways than people do, folks often set their animals up for neurotic behavior without realizing it. Frequently, behavior problems can be dealt with if the owner has the dedication and access to the right information.

My personal experiences with felines have shown me that no matter how well they are treated, how much love they are given, how much time was spent in learning about them and trying to train them, they are given to erratic, unpredictable behavior that is often violent and painful if you happen to be nearby.

Sorry. No thanks. I'm, as they say, "not a cat person". If you have different experiences with cats and enjoy them, well that's good for you. My experiences are, well, what they are. And that's my take on it.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
frankthedm said:
Did the wound really need a bandage? if it it needs to be kept closed that is one thing, but IME*, bandages make wound close slower due to dampness.

Yes, it did, mainly due to the positioning of the wounds (middle finger, middle knuckle and just below the thumb knuckle, all on the right hand)... Without bandaids, at least, to protect tham, it'd have been too easy to exasperate the wounds.

Plus, they were rather bloody, oozing wounds and required bandages for that reason alone for the first day or two.

Set

First Post
have concluded that while canine memory lasts no more than 5 minutes, a cat's recall can last as long as 16 hours, exceeding even that of monkeys and orangutans.

I couldn't make it through the thread and remember the topic, so I guess I'm even lower than the dog...

Freakiest part about raising cats (lions, tigers and jaguars) for animal parks and zoos as a kid was the whole connection between their happy place and their hunting instincts. They see something and they end up hunting it down and killing it, but because they are fed by humans, they don't have the slightest clue what to do next, so they sit there idly playing with some dead animal and finally offer it to their pet human, not having any better idea of what to do with it.

It's like all their instincts get frustrated by captivity / domestication. They bring us dead things, because that's the only instinctive response they have left for dealing with something they've killed and don't want to eat. Bring it to the kittens and let them eat it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads