Congratulations WotC...

Haplo781

Legend
As I said in another thread, I really think 4e's design was a double-edged sword. As many people liked it as hated it.

5e's deliberate inoffensiveness and "blandness"(I'm not using that as a criticism per se) is actively working against it here. When times were good, it worked well, few were especially upset at the idea of playing 5e, but it's not the kind of game that inspires fervent defenders when times are tough. Rather, it's the kind of game where you think "Hmm, this is good, but it could be better if I just.." When everyone is involved in the 5e ecosystem, that's really effective design, because you can find the 5e mod you're looking for! But by actively kicking everyone out, now they've unleashed the desire to "really fix" 5e that's been bubbling for years. We've entered the era of 5e Heartbreakers, and nothing is stopping this train now.
They'd literally be better off they'd just decided to revive 4e. Already carved out from the OGL, already designed for a VTT, already has a small but dedicated fanbase.

Clint_L

Hero
My 17 year old daughter said that there’s not been a misreading of public opinion on this scale since Euro Disney (she likes watching them party failure videos).
Euro Disney is now extremely successful. So that is maybe not an example to bring to Hasbro's attention.

Burt Baccara

Explorer
WotC had a real treasure. The Philosophers Stone of RPGs!

And they broke it open, smashing it to rubble, to see if the gold was inside.
Not only that.

WotC created a thing called OneD&D and the result looks to be a fracturing of the industry.

Also, this year is the 50th anniversary of the year that Dave showed Gary his game he called Blackmoor, the year of their collaboration on the draft that would become D&D. And this is the year WotC decided to turn a triumph into...well, we will see.

Like I said in another thread, I'll be convinced when these feelings turn into action. Angry words online is different from playing and supporting different games. It's been said that living well is the best revenge.

To build on my previous point...

D&D's content creators are virtually all social media influencers. And a lot of influencers are also content creators.

So WotC has turned every D&D influencer against the company in one fell swoop.

Kind of an amazing accomplishment if you think about it...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases