D&D General Conscripted to Faerun

Laurefindel

Legend
Are we allowed to bring a few things with us? Such as antihistamines, Benadryl, asthma medicine and thyroid meds for a month? If not I’ll just take a dagger with me. To use it on myself. It will be quicker than standing next to the donkey but with similar results…

Assuming I can actually survive with a modicum of autonomy, I’ll spend those 6 weeks training in animal husbandry. Our survival is probably dependent on the health and handling of that donkey. Despite my allergies, we have animals at home and I married a farrier, so I know enough about horses and equines to know that that I don’t know enough about donkeys.

I’ll take a short bow as I have some skills already, and a lunging whip, probably. I expect I better stick to light armor: I’ve always relied much more on my agility than my strength.

Zardnaar

Legend
Are we allowed to bring a few things with us? Such as antihistamines, Benadryl, asthma medicine and thyroid meds for a month? If not I’ll just take a dagger with me. To use it on myself. It will be quicker than standing next to the donkey but with similar results…

Assuming I can actually survive with a modicum of autonomy, I’ll spend those 6 weeks training in animal husbandry. Our survival is probably dependent on the health and handling of that donkey. Despite my allergies, we have animals at home and I married a farrier, so I know enough about horses and equines to know that that I don’t know enough about donkeys.

I’ll take a short bow as I have some skills already, and a lunging whip, probably. I expect I better stick to light armor: I’ve always relied much more on my agility than my strength.

Assume anything ongoing isn't an issue.

But you're reliant on Faerun stuff if anything else goes wrong.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

That reminds me, a hoof pairing knife and the means to sharpen it would be handy.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Thought experiment. More curious what people would pick.

Well, looking through the topic, there is a pattern. Spear, shield, brigandine, dagger, crossbow. And it's not surprising. All those weapons were used mostly by levied soldiers. They are easy to learn how to use and pretty much anybody can become solidly proficient with them in 6 weeks. Bows and swords take time to learn how to use effectively in combat. So unless someone trained archery or HEMA, there is no point in taking them, 6 weeks just isn't enough time. Brigandine is popular armor choice cause it's good mix of protection and dexterity while being pretty light weight.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well, looking through the topic, there is a pattern. Spear, shield, brigandine, dagger, crossbow. And it's not surprising. All those weapons were used mostly by levied soldiers. They are easy to learn how to use and pretty much anybody can become solidly proficient with them in 6 weeks. Bows and swords take time to learn how to use effectively in combat. So unless someone trained archery or HEMA, there is no point in taking them, 6 weeks just isn't enough time. Brigandine is popular armor choice cause it's good mix of protection and dexterity while being pretty light weight.
Good boots, cloak, and something waterproof and preferably insulated to sleep on. Also, tools to maintain stuff (needles, thread, string, awl, wax and the like)

Zardnaar

Legend

Well my criteria basically excludes full plate.

I would pick brigantine myself but interested in others thoughts.

Shields most important piece of protective gear. Spears easy to use.

ezo

I cast invisibility
I would pick brigantine myself but interested in others thoughts.
I went with a gambeson for my choice. Although brigandine offers superior protection, it is heavier, more difficult to repair, more expensive, etc. A gambeson offers reasonable protection, is relatively cheap, and simple to repair by comparison. Depending on the materials used, a gambeson is typically 8-10 lbs, as where brigandine is closer to 20 lbs.

Given sufficient money, I might also consider a cuirass (breastplate) for the major vital organs, and maybe grieves and vambraces of some sort.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Don't forget helmet. Good solid helmet is prime piece of protective gear. At least something like kettle helmet. Pair it with gambeson, shield and spear and you have your typical medieval foot soldier

ezo

I cast invisibility
Don't forget helmet. Good solid helmet is prime piece of protective gear. At least something like kettle helmet. Pair it with gambeson, shield and spear and you have your typical medieval foot soldier
I assumed one, simply because helmets aren't on the equipment list... 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads