Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
I'm not alt-right, but your statement suggests that if you are not in favor of this in any way then you are somehow some racist, sexist pig and should go to hell. So are you stating that you can comment only if you agree? If so that is messed up.

On the surface, this seems like it would be about inclusion, but I disagree, so does that make me some evil bastard?

If you are playing with a group of friends, they should know you well enough to know what is and what is not acceptable. I play with loud, crude, swearing bastards, and I play with more wholesome church-going friends, and I play with my preteen children and I know each player well enough to know what to include and what to exclude. I don't need a document for this.

Regarding this in a convention, good in theory, until you realize that you have to pay for events months in advance and if a DM passed this around the table before gameplay began and he decided to eliminate 90% of the adventure because someone filled in many of the triggers, then you have a majority of the players who paid for a service to be disappointed and wanting their money back because the adventure which touted a trip to the Underdark and the Spider Queen was changed into rainbow, happy kitten unicorn dancing, you'll have many pissed off attendees.

The majority shouldn't have to bow to the minority. The minority should have to find another playgroup.

The only place I see this being effective is on a message board where you fill it out to find other like-minded individuals to play with. In this case, it would cease to be a "consent" form and become a 'request for gaming friends' form.

I play Role-playing games to get away from the real world and in particular politics. This reeks of political overtones and the last thing I want is some Social Justice Warrior trying to place the rule of the minority and ruining my games. That said, none of my friends would ever use this and if they use it at a convention, I'll not attend that convention. I'm not paying my hard-earned money for someone to come in at the last minute and ruin my expected game...hopefully that wasn't "alt-right" for you, but if you felt it was, please do delete.

Ok, then. Well...bye.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Seriously, getting in long drawn out debates with people who are obviously trolling for the "lols" is what gets these threads shut down. Which is the whole point. Just... don't do it. It lowers the quality of the discussion. It's not worth it

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not alt-right, but your statement suggests that if you are not in favor of this in any way then you are somehow some racist, sexist pig and should go to hell. So are you stating that you can comment only if you agree? If so that is messed up.

On the surface, this seems like it would be about inclusion, but I disagree, so does that make me some evil bastard?

Well, this is one giant strawman. However, if you're gonna rant about being more inclusive, then yeah, I guess that does kinda fit the bill. Rant =/= disagreement or discussion.

If you are playing with a group of friends, they should know you well enough to know what is and what is not acceptable. I play with loud, crude, swearing bastards, and I play with more wholesome church-going friends, and I play with my preteen children and I know each player well enough to know what to include and what to exclude. I don't need a document for this.

Regarding this in a convention, good in theory, until you realize that you have to pay for events months in advance and if a DM passed this around the table before gameplay began and he decided to eliminate 90% of the adventure because someone filled in many of the triggers, then you have a majority of the players who paid for a service to be disappointed and wanting their money back because the adventure which touted a trip to the Underdark and the Spider Queen was changed into rainbow, happy kitten unicorn dancing, you'll have many pissed off attendees.

This seems like wild hyperbole that has never actually happened, or will happen.

The majority shouldn't have to bow to the minority. The minority should have to find another playgroup.

Well, this certainly confirms my suspicions. I don't think I've seen a statement more ignorant on to topic of equality ever. For example, not only is it blatantly a bad idea (there would be states that would still outlaw interracial marriages if this is your standard), but it misses the point in how if someone is a minority, they might not be able to find another group. You know, what the word "minority" means.

I play Role-playing games to get away from the real world and in particular politics. This reeks of political overtones and the last thing I want is some Social Justice Warrior trying to place the rule of the minority and ruining my games. That said, none of my friends would ever use this and if they use it at a convention, I'll not attend that convention. I'm not paying my hard-earned money for someone to come in at the last minute and ruin my expected game...hopefully that wasn't "alt-right" for you, but if you felt it was, please do delete.

Well, that double confirms my suspicions.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes and I think that’s why we have to really teach people to “deal with it” in my opinion. There are people not nice and the game isn’t even about dealing with those people, just fictional scenarios. I hope these people don’t watch a movie or tv show without doing a lot of research. Or even the news for that matter.

Telling someone to "just deal with" emotional abuse is like telling someone to just deal with keep getting beaten. Worse, in fact, because emotional abuse is often more harmful than physical abuse.

I never thought I'd see someone defend the use of emotional abuse, but here we are.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Seriously, getting in long drawn out debates with people who are obviously trolling for the "lols" is what gets these threads shut down. Which is the whole point. Just... don't do it. It lowers the quality of the discussion. It's not worth it

Yup, time to make use of that handy Ignore feature.

Sacrosanct

Legend

However, if they get banned, by their own logic they should just "deal with it" and we all can move on without expecting any complaint by them, right?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Well, this is one giant strawman. However, if you're gonna rant about being more inclusive, then yeah, I guess that does kinda fit the bill. Rant =/= disagreement or discussion.

This seems like wild hyperbole that has never actually happened, or will happen.

Well, this certainly confirms my suspicions. I don't think I've seen a statement more ignorant on to topic of equality ever. For example, not only is it blatantly a bad idea (there would be states that would still outlaw interracial marriages if this is your standard), but it misses the point in how if someone is a minority, they might not be able to find another group. You know, what the word "minority" means.

Well, that double confirms my suspicions.
Yeah, so happy to confirm your suspicions. So you just confirmed, mine then too. So I should have to modify my playstyle to suit your needs. I don't think so. You are free to play with whomever you wish however you wish, but you are not free to tell me how to live my life or how to play my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads