Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Again, I don't think you are right here. I don't think this is going to be helpful in most cases. Walking around with checklists and a 'no room for discussion' attitude for recreational activities like gaming....I don't see that alleviating PTSD. I see it probably making it worse, and pulling others into the issue.

If you just use it as a checklist and no conversation of course it won’t be useful. If you use it as a tool for discussion (as it’s intended) it could be. The document isn’t straitjacketing you into using it nor are you required to use it.

If you just use it as a checklist and no conversation of course it won’t be useful. If you use it as a tool for discussion (and it’s intended) it could be. The document isn’t straitjacketing you into using it nor are you required to use it.

Read the PDF. I don't think it is as about opening conversation as you think. Obviously some things need to be clarified when people write them on the checklist. But a real conversation has to leave room for disagreement and this DPF does not leave room for that.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Again, I don't think you are right here. I don't think this is going to be helpful in most cases. Walking around with checklists and a 'no room for discussion' attitude for recreational activities like gaming....I don't see that alleviating PTSD. I see it probably making it worse, and pulling others into the issue.

There's a world of a difference between "hey let's not argue with Sam he's going through some things right now" and "no room for discussion." I'd like to meet the trained mental health professional who thinks untrained amateurs arguing with a traumatized individual about their triggers mid-episode is a great thing for that individual.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
That is the same kind of thinking that informed the satanic panic. Should we really be this worried about the power of make believe and imagination? We are all free to stand up, leave the room and not play. This isn't a live action session. This is not BDSM. This is not therapeutic roleplaying. This is a past time and a social activity.

Lol, now that’s reactionary. Equating a conversation about sensitive topics at session zero or signing up for a PG13 game at a con with the Satanic panic? I think we’ve grown a bit since then and can have reasoned conversations about mental health as adults.

Last edited:

There's a world of a difference between "hey let's not argue with Sam he's going through some things right now" and "no room for discussion." I'd like to meet the trained mental health professional who thinks untrained amateurs arguing with a traumatized individual about their triggers mid-episode is a great thing for that individual.

Honestly it just feels like you are weaponizing people with mental health issues here. I am definitely not advocating arguing with someone who is going through tough things. I am saying a universal block on discussion is a bad idea.

Lol, now that’s reactionary. Equating a conversation about sensitive topics at session zero or signing up for a PG13 game at a con with the Satanic panic? I think we’ve grown a bit since then and can have reasoned conversations about mental health as adults.

But the problem is we are not having a reasonable discussion about. This feels more like a moral panic than a reasonable discussion (which is why I invoked the satanic panic).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Honestly it just feels like you are weaponizing people with mental health issues here. I am definitely not advocating arguing with someone who is going through tough things. I am saying a universal block on discussion is a bad idea.

It's not a universal block on discussion. It's respecting that individuals get to set their own boundaries and then respecting those boundaries.

But the problem is we are not having a reasonable discussion about. This feels more like a moral panic than a reasonable discussion (which is why I invoked the satanic panic).

The only people here making hyperbolic panicked arguments are those who oppose the document

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Read the PDF. I don't think it is as about opening conversation as you think. Obviously some things need to be clarified when people write them on the checklist. But a real conversation has to leave room for disagreement and this DPF does not leave room for that.

As someone said in another thread on this topic: “Houserule that sh*t.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads