Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
One of my problems with how I am seeing this discussion framed in places is it seems a blurring of the real world and the imaginary. Confusing real world harm with imaginary harm.

I would like to hope that nobody is talking about imaginary harm here.

I would like to hope that nobody is talking about imaginary harm here.

What I am saying is there is a difference between experience harm in the real world and experiencing harm in a movie or game. That is why I think using language like safety tools or consent is part of the problem with the conversation. We are using loaded terms that help blur those lines

That’s just it. For some, the harm is all too real.

I get that people are having a real psychological reaction to it. And there is a huge spectrum of reaction there. Some people are having major reactions like flashbacks, some are just upset or disgusted. We shouldn't be treating that huge spectrum of reaction as all the same. And we should keep things in perspective as well.

But still isn't real harm. Having an episode of graphic violence in an RPG is not the same as real violence. I am saying these kinds of words blur that.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Do you realize who you are talking to when you throw that out there?

Of course I do. There are plenty of gamers who wouldn’t think twice about dismissing a persons distress as “fake trauma” or something they should just “shake off” because it’s “imaginary.”. Do YOU realize how dismissive you sound?

Again, I strongly suspect that over basic values, almost everyone - and maybe even indeed everyone - is in good agreement. For example, I'd be outraged if someone introduced incest into a group for its shock value over an objection to avoid the subject. That player would probably not be gaming with us again.

But there are of course other mental models here, other scenarios, other issues, and there is a feeling that only one approach is being advocated for - even demanded - despite the vast variety of issues involved.

This. And for some of us using something like that checklist just seems kind of ridiculous. I just can't imagine gaming that way. At all.

Of course I do. There are plenty of gamers who wouldn’t think twice about dismissing a persons distress as “fake trauma” or something they should just “shake off” because it’s “imaginary.”. Do YOU realize how dismissive you sound?

Like anything else it isn't black and white. I don't think anyone wants to dismiss a person in real distress. At the same time, sometimes people are overreacting, or being immature. Sometimes people just want attention. Some people may have legitimate issues with these things but effectively take a group hostage by constantly appealing to sympathy for their trauma. We need to retain our ability judge the reasonableness of any request.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But still isn't real harm. Having an episode of graphic violence in an RPG is not the same as real violence. I am saying these kinds of words blur that.

It may not be the same, but inflicting a psychological episode of some sort on someone is real harm even if it falls well short of hacking off their limbs and breaking their bones. It's different, less deadly, but still difficult to be on the receiving end of.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
I get that people are having a real psychological reaction to it. And there is a huge spectrum of reaction there. Some people are having major reactions like flashbacks, some are just upset or disgusted. We shouldn't be treating that huge spectrum of reaction as all the same. And we should keep things in perspective as well.

I’m talking about real psychological trauma not in-game taking HP damage. Psychological trauma is every bit as real as a broken arm. The only connection is that an imaginary occurrence could trigger a real world trauma. There can be a connection, and to pretend there isn’t is being dismissive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads