Consequences of playing "EVIL" races

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why is a Drow becoming a Drider considered a punishment? To me it seems like a huge buff.

I mean, sure, combat power. That's really nice... in the middle of combat. But most of life isn't in combat.

And as a drider you no longer fit into society. Literally. Like, that back end doesn't physically fit within the architecture and interior design. And Drow are ableist jerks, and they are in no way going to make reasonable accommodations for you. And the ladies... they are not going to be swiping right for you any more. Because, you know... you have a really bad case of spider-butt. Which I guess is fine, because driders are biologically sexless and can't breed anyway.

Oh, and this is all because you failed. Big time. You didn't cut the mustard, so they made you this thing that can't even shop for groceries, much less have a normal life.

Yeah. That's a buff, for sure.

Last edited:

I mean, sure, combat power. That's really nice... in the middle of combat. But most of life isn't in combat.

In Drow society? Isn't their whole schtick (other than the spiders and the BDSM ladies) that murder and attempted murder are implausibly common?

Last edited:

In Drow society? Isn't their whole schtick (other than the spiders and the BDSM ladies) that murder and attempted murder are implausibly common?
Drows are much more than that. Being chaotic and evil to the core, they need a strict code of conduct to prevent the collapse of their society. The penalty for being caught doing "bad" things is usually death.

On the other hand, drows are encourage to break rules, kill, murder and many other attrocious acts. The only rule is DO NOT GET CAUGHT! You're not caught and there are no witnesses? You won the day (or the night for that matter...). A drider would not last long in the drow "society".

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Drows are much more than that. Being chaotic and evil to the core, they need a strict code of conduct to prevent the collapse of their society. The penalty for being caught doing "bad" things is usually death.

On the other hand, drows are encourage to break rules, kill, murder and many other attrocious acts. The only rule is DO NOT GET CAUGHT! You're not caught and there are no witnesses? You won the day (or the night for that matter...). A drider would not last long in the drow "society".
ummmm pretty sure drow are neutral evil, at least since 3rd edition.

ummmm pretty sure drow are neutral evil, at least since 3rd edition.
Yep, you're right on that account. But I was refering to the society described by RA Salvatore in the novels and in the 1ed and 2ed Drows. Neutral evil drows are an aberration as almost all their deities are CE (save the godess Eilistraee). As I said earlier, a race will strive to be like its god(s). Alignment in 3.xed and higher does not have the same connotation as in the previous editions.

I believe that the NE aspect given to drow was to give them a small acceptability as a NE race is less likely to be killed on sight. But Drows are and always will be CE in my heart.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I believe that the NE aspect given to drow was to give them a small acceptability as a NE race is less likely to be killed on sight.

I dunno. I think it is a bit more a nod to the fact that they are this weird admixture of authoritarian regime and berzerk violent individual ladder-climbing, that balances out to neutrality.

Plus, there's a hefty argument that a CE race probably has too many stability issues to build anything as a culture that lasts for any significant period of time. The Neutral placement makes that a lot more plausible.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases