Level Up (A5E) Conservatively Adding New Classes

Pedantic

Legend
Str/Wis would be really interesting for a dedicated shapeshifter class. That's usually looked like "wildshape, but more!" but that's pretty well covered by the Skinchanger archetype. I think a more precise partial shapeshifter, that's growing bear claws to strike with and bat ears to gain blindsight would be interesting. Maybe steal some of the Magic of Incarnum chassis from 3.5 as the basis?

Dex/Cha screams swashbuckler to me, but that's actually really well handled in existing classes. The 4e assassin is interesting, with their connection to the plane of shadow (or Bleak Gate?), but that never felt intrinsic to the archetype so much as a nice addition and again, probably sits comfortably within the Rogue as an archetype.

I think @xiphumor's Noble idea is the best bet. Fantasy Craft did the concept as the Courtier, and actually a lot of its mechanics would translate pretty well. Followers/Stronghold progression like the Marshal maybe slightly faster, bonus prestige, some goading/disheartening/beguiling combat actions, they could be a Herald-style partial bard caster even.

Remove ads