Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
"You can't make the bagels right without the New York water."

Apparently it's not the water but leaving them to ferment overnight and boiling them before baking.

Mallus

Legend
You almost went full David Foster Wallace, @Snarf Zagyg. Never go full David Foster Wallace. Look how that turned out for David Foster Wallace...

Some unsolicited advice: if you should ever find yourself in Philadelphia, do not share your opinion of cannoli. Dissing cannoli risks bodily harm. Bodily harm is a tradition is a tradition here. Look, we beat the stuffing out of that poor hitch-hiking robot, and it wasn't even capable of feeling pain.

If you do end up in Philly and feel like tilting again at a certain Italian pastry-shaped windmill, try Isgro's on Christian Street (or Termini's in Reading Market - which is a touristy place but still frequented by locals).

You're absolutely right in that art's a relationship. It matters where you are when encounter a work, just as it matter where and when a work comes from. Somewhat recently my wife and I watched Philip Glass's Satyagraha on the Met's nightly pandemic opera stream. We've seen the production before. I listen to it occasionally. But that night, the Satyagraha hit we with a force & clarity that surprised me given that a) I'm familiar with it and b) its almost three hours of repetitive minimalist music sung in language no one speaks anymore, without supertitles. It was revelatory.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You're absolutely right in that art's a relationship. It matters where you are when encounter a work, just as it matter where and when a work comes from.

And we can now insert the words "palate" and "taste" (as in, "there is no accounting for...") into the discussion, only semi-ironically.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Ironically, despite having been born and raised in NYC I never liked bagels, so I can't comment.
When I moved back to the US, it was NYC, and my first job was at a bagel bakery, where I could take home bags of the day olds. It helped feed us all in our crummy little Bowery apartment, but I don't think I have ever really enjoyed a bagel since.

MarkB

Legend
This is great, and the key difference in this piece is that you didn't stupidly say Cannoli isn't Dessert.
He did declare the entire concept of fried pastry with a soft filling to be fundamentally flawed, though. Which, as someone who has never experienced cannoli, but has risked many a burned tongue on a fast food fried apple pie, I take issue with.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases