• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Considering 4e, coming back after a long time away from v3.5

I support the:

rules compendium + class compendium articles thing. Maybe one or two heroes books. And most important: monster vault.

although monster vault lacks some important monsters, they are a lot more fun than the oler ones. It makes a completely different play experience in combat.

Ajar

Explorer
Like others, I suggest a DDI sub shared among the group. A copy of the Rules Compendium is also handy to have at the table. Finally, for the DM, I suggest at least DMG2. It has a lot of information on how to set up and run skill challenges that will make yours much more interesting. It also has a lot of other useful stuff -- alternative rewards rules, monster templates, etc.

The Monster Vault is optional, but as UL says above, very handy.

S'mon

Legend
The game works fine without 99.9% of the errrata. If you love errata, the errated PHB classes are available free from WotC's site in the 'Class Compendium' series AIR, and errata for all the books is free there.

The 2 things you probably should do:

1. If you use Skill Challenges, take 5 off listed DCs. Ignoring Skill Challenges also works. :)

2. Add 1/2 level to monster damage. Otherwise monsters don't do enough damage.

Personally I also have monster hp so the game plays more like prior editions.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
1. If you use Skill Challenges, take 5 off listed DCs. Ignoring Skill Challenges also works. :)

2. Add 1/2 level to monster damage. Otherwise monsters don't do enough damage.

1. Dropping them by 5 is not enough, at least according to the errata. The easy column should be dropped by 10, the medium and hard should be dropped by something like 10 for the first two rows, 9 for the next two, 8 for the next two, etc. It doesn't have to follow the errata precisely (and even the erratta is a bit off) due to the fact that the original 3 books don't have the plethora of skill boosts from the other source books. The errata is actually a bit too easy, especially at higher levels. Even so, 5 is not enough at heroic.

2. Definitely add the monster damage.

Ajar

Explorer
It also isn't enough to simply modify the DCs; you also have to make the number of failures fixed across the challenge complexities. The errata fixes them at 3.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
I bought 4e books when they were first released; as such, I have PHB 1, DM 1, and MM 1. I havent ever actually played 4th ed.

OK, so I need to buy the Essentials book...this will get me the errata for combat and the classes right? But isnt Essentials like dumbed-down (maybe you prefer the term "simplified") 4e? Wouldnt this book not be used in my regular 4e games if we werent playing "Essentials"?

So let's say my assumptions are correct: I need to get the basic Essentials Rules Compendium to get playing and convince my friends to join. I need PHB 2 at least for the rest of the basic classes and races from v3.5. Am I good to go now?

Last question (thanks for bearing with me): Item creation.

Thanks for your advice and help!
Kealios
I'd also recommend getting a DDI subscription (so long as you're comfortable with online resources). You'll have everything you will ever need - and probably a bit too much tbh.

In that vein, I would also purchase the Rules Compendium book. Sure, that information is available on DDI, but not in a book format. RC is the only book I have at the table when I run or play 4e.

While DDI also has all the class info you will ever need (pre and post Essentials), buying either Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms or Heroes of the Fallen Lands would be a good idea IMHO so you can see how an Essentials class is typically structured by level. If you like what you see in PHB1, then you wouldn't need HoFK/HoFL or PHB2-3. Just get that info from DDI.

I was talking to a college student player (read: poor) who was interested in trying 4e for the first time. My advice to her was to work with me as the GM to create her PC on Character Builder. We did that in 15 min (though it could take longer based on how much of a power-gamer the player is). If she really wanted to get into 4e, she could buy the books she was interested in or subscribe to DDI directly.

Finally, I don't have much advice on your third question though. I do believe there are item creation rules in the form of rituals IIRC. There is also the artificer class that may be what you are looking for.

Good luck and welcome to 4e (hopefully)!

C4

Explorer
I bought 4e books when they were first released; as such, I have PHB 1, DM 1, and MM 1. I havent ever actually played 4th ed.
The good news is that a lot of 4e books are fun, but you already have what you need. There is quite a bit of errata, but it doesn't invalidate your books and you can download it here. Oh and 'Essentials' is a misnomer; it's not necessary at all.

Personally though, I got tired of cross-checking all that errata. So I wrote a 4e clone called the Complete 4th Edition. If you're not into building characters with software, it's invaluable. :)

/shameless plug

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads