D&D 5E Considering Bigby's Big Book of Giants: How much use did you get out of Fizban's Big Book of Dragons?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, it was mainly written by James Wyatt, who also worked on the 3e Draconomicon.

I’ll give you Spelljammer though - an extra 30-40 pages would really have rounded out the product.
What was there wasn't phoned in, particularly. I get the impression that Chris Perkins really enjoyed himself.

Eubani

Legend
Low hanging fruit:
Dragon Pact Warlock
Dragon Magic Tradition - A wizard that studies draconic magic
Path of the Dragon Barbarian - Elemental Fury
Dragonslayer Ranger
Oath of the Dragon Paladin - Based off traits of Metallic Dragons
Combat Maneuvers inspired by Dragons
More feats.....come on guys don't tell me that they are so lacking in imagination that they could only think of those 2 feats.

A total lack of effort has been put into too many 5e books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Low hanging fruit:
Dragon Pact Warlock
Dragonslayer Ranger
More feats.....come on guys don't tell me that they are so lacking in imagination that they could only think of those 2 feats.

Just because they can think of something doesn't mean they should make it. Fizban's makes the pretty solid point, as far as the Warlock goes, that high Level Dragons work for multiple existing Patrons: Fey Pacts from Moonstone, Undead from Dracoliches, Fiendish from Tiamat, etc, etc...

Low hanging fruit:
Dragon Pact Warlock
Dragonslayer Ranger

Why would a monster book be packed with player-facing options?

It did not have to be a " GM Facing" book, at the beginning of 5e it was stated that they wanted books to be of use to player and GM, which makes sense as there would be a larger customer base aimed at purchasing such books.
"Throw a bone to players in the hope some will buy it" has been policy since 3rd edition. But it doesn't need to be a big bone. Fizban's is primarily a monster manual. The follow up to Volo's and Mordenkainen's. It was always intended as that and marketed as that. Bigby's is going to be next in the series of monster manuals, with most of the crunch dedicated to monster stat blocks. The "book of many things" is next year's main player facing book.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Low hanging fruit:
Dragon Pact Warlock
Dragonslayer Ranger

they did mention that they forced themselves not to make a dragon option for every class so they could have more page count for the relevant monsters.
I say the book could have been bigger but they seem to have a set format and that is not changing.

Remove ads