• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constables of the 14th Ward

Lou

Explorer
Raul in 12th Ward #3

As Raul looks around, something doesn't feel quite right. Hmmm, there's something unsual about Constable Dresden's appearance. But Raul can't make it out until Andrew speaks up that he's been pickpocketed. Raul will check his own belt pouch and backpack as the group continues on.

[sblock=OOC]2nd requested search roll (1d20+8=15) [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
J. Alexander said:
1d20+4-> [20,4] = (24)
spot in the smithy

Acting on Thea's comment, Andrew will look down and check himself. Then holding up a neatly sliced purse for the party to see Andew comments. "A brave rogue indeed and very skilled to do this amidst our party". Andrew will check to see how much of his coinage is missing (10 gp was in the purse) as well as check the condition of his belt pouch.

Andrew finds that rather than coin the miscreant got away with a scroll of Cat's Grace. The pouch is also damaged and will need replacement.

If others check their own belongings they find no other losses. At least not so far. The 12th has a well deserved reputation for cutpurses and worse.

OOC: You are all free to read the spoilers for the last two spot checks now if you like. I trust you will not try to use the player knowledge which your characters would not have. I'll try to get you into the 13th this evening unless anyone would like to do something else?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

OOC: As the pertinent information has been revealed, I'll not try to go back and work in my spot check.

IC: On Andrew's revelation that he's been had, SoulFetter will look to his own belongings to make sure nothing's missing.

[sblock]Spot Check (1d20-1=11)[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Realizing there is little they can do about the theft for now, the constables continue their journey. Soon, the find a broad stairway leading down into the Understreets. The noisy level is much lower here than in other Understreet stations you've visited. There is no rumble of wheels, no shouting of Shiv drivers, no braying of mules and little barking of dogs. Given that the trains no longer run you are surprised to see so many people coming and going. They are walking into the tunnels where trains formerly ran. You move past the station proper and into the area where there are shops and residences. These areas are home to some 'less-picky' Dwarves, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears and in the darker corners you see what could be orcs, half-orcs and perhaps even a gutter gnone. You even pass one fellow that appears to be the even rarer 'deep-gnome'. No elves, halflings or regular gnomes are seen though you are not the only humans. You pass one vendor selling leather pouches. Eventually, you come near a warren of caverns that are more natural in appearance. Wally crosses to the opposite side of the tunnel and picks up speed at this point. The area is bustling with dwarves. Down a passage here you see signs labeled in common and dwarven "No unauthorized persons." The signs include pictographs that make it clear that 'unauthorized' means goblinoid. Dwarves in massive heavy armor bearing pole arms stand guard. They do not wear constable uniforms. Eventually, you leave populated areas for some sort of service tunnel that slopes down below the Understreet. There are no lights here and torches and sunrods come out. You make a couple of turns and Wally stops. After a quick glace around Wally steps to an alcove and opens a concealed door. Within is a 20'x20' room. A low wall surrounds a hole perhaps 6' across. The room also contains a large chunk of rock vaguely cylindrical in shape and 5' tall. About a third of the way down this column of unworked stone is ring worn smooth. There are no other obvious exits from the room. A torn sack, the tail end of a crossbow bolt and a couple of used up torches litter the floor. The taciturn Wally seems more animated now. He pushes his cloak back and looks at the constables. He speaks in his odd Peter Lorre voice, "Alright, you want to find the halfling? We must go down, into the 13th." He voice rises in excitement as he says the last and his face takes on a manic countenance and seems to expand. You reassure yourself that it is only a trick of the flickering torchlight. The air seems thin and damp and your chest feels tight. "It’s a long climb and there are several false tunnels. Only one, the one I know, will take you where you want to go." Several of you lean over the hole and look down into the darkness. There is no bottom visible and while the stone of the sides could provide some handholds there is no ladder or rungs. The rock is damp and cool to the touch.

OOC: [sblock=All]This would be a real good time to work out who is going to carry lights, marching orders--for the climb and for different tunnel widths, weapons in hand--if any, and how you are going to handle the climb. There are other responsibilities you should consider, but I don't want to make it too easy on you. :]
To paraphrase Guns and Roses:
You know where you are?
You're in the dungeon baby
You're gonna die!
In the dungeon
Welcome to the dungeon![/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
[sblock=Leif and Scotley]
Can we assume since Jonas knew that this mission was headed underground that he left Bruno at home? I could try to lower him down, but I sure that no matter how much rope we have it wouldn't be enough :mad: It may just be easier to assume he's home.

[/sblock]

Jonas peers down the hole "Well this will be fun for Alarion" grins Jonas. "Maybe he should head down first, becasue I don't want him coming after me until I am on the floor"

"Alright Wally, how far straight down does this hole go before we hit the right tunnel?"
asks Jonas making sure his arrows are secure in their quiver by stuffing some fabric next to them to keep them snug, yet accessible during the climb.

Leif

Adventurer
Jonas and Bruno

Fenris said:
[sblock=Leif and Scotley]Can we assume since Jonas knew that this mission was headed underground that he left Bruno at home? I could try to lower him down, but I sure that no matter how much rope we have it wouldn't be enough.[/sblock]

[sblock=Jonas K.] Well, geeeee, I just don't know about that. You're asking an awful lot. And so early in the adventure, too! ;)

Hmmmm, well, tell ya what, since we don't want him crapping in our dungeon anyway, we'll let you slide this time. :D

Truthfully, I had been thinking that Bruno was probably spendng the day with his "girlfriends" or something. (I think you know the word I would have used there, but this is a family-type site.) I mean, poor Bruno does need some sort of distraction so he doesn't miss his master TOO badly![/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

SoulFetter reaches into his pack and pulls out a bag of climbing chalk.

"My friends, I should likely go first - none of you want my quarter ton bulk falling on you should I slip. Wally, will we be going to the bottom, or taking a tunnel out of the side of this shaft? If it's a side tunnel we're to take, you should come next to make certain I don't miss it. Our weakest climber should follow either myself or Wally, then the next stronger, etc. If the shaft doesn't get much larger, I'm big enough and strong enough to brace myself across the thing and catch one of you if you fall. I could likely catch two, if one of them is Thea - but she's not likely to slip, I think."

Scotley

Hero
"We won't be going all the way to the bottom, some say this hole hasn't got a bottom. We'll only be going down about a dozen times my height." He looks at Soulfetter. "I'm definately in favor you being below me if you fall you'll take us all down."

[sblock=Jonas]As Leif said, you are welcome to leave Bruno behind with his female friends, but your trip down the shaft will be less than a 100' feet if you wish to have him along. Game balance in 3.5 assumes you'll have the added benefit of an animal companion. I don't want you to feel obligated to leave him behind all the time. After all, we let Alarion bring his armor :D [/sblock]

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion of Tovarre

"By what our friend here states, we should be able to tie two ropes together and make our climb easier." Alarion straps his shield to his back, to free his arms, and produces a silken rope from his pack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads