• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constatine (Reeves) and Prophecy (Walken)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
JimAde said:
I don't think I'd call Simon a supernatural hero. He's a former seminary student who is now a cop, having a crisis of faith. And the woman in Prophecy is a teacher, not a cop.

I agree the backgrounds on these two movies are similar, but the plots (the events in the story) are very different.

the similarities continue however: in both Gabriel is the rebel angel and Lucifer shows up.

both have a 'possessed' little girl (sort of)

oh and Simon isn't the fallen Priest he is the blonde dude (an Angel iirc) in Prophecy the former seminary student/cop is named Thomas

and just an aside on Angel Legend

iirc Michael lead the Angelic Host
Gabriel was the Herald (dude with the Trumpet)
Raphael was the messenger
Lucifer was formerly Gods lamp bearer but rebelled

is this correct or is it just more urban myth?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Jerome Steelsides said:
Constantine, I guess, was utilizing the stories which had Gabriel as a woman.
I don't think it had anything to do with her being a women, they just found a female actor with an androgenous look. Angels after all are often described as sexless and not apparently male or female.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Tonguez said:

Spoilers, highlight to read:

I believe so. Indeed, Gabriel will supposedly blow his horn to signal the Apocalypse.

There's actually a scene in Prophecy which plays off this which I thought was fairly subtle and incredibly funny. Gabriel is waiting on the steps of a building, and he hands a human child a trumpet to play with. When the boy blows it, all the windows are blown out of the building. :p
Warrior Poet said:
In a way, it's almost a movie without any heroes, certainly not at the level of the angels, and it kind of ends with those questions about heroism hanging, I think.
I think you're correct. A little bit of Prophecy 2 was bleeding into my recollection. Of course, the heroless nature of Prophecy only further differentiates it from Constantine. :)

End spoilers.

JimAde

First Post
Tonguez said:
the similarities continue however: in both Gabriel is the rebel angel and Lucifer shows up.

both have a 'possessed' little girl (sort of)
Yes but in Constantine this is a quick little introductory scene, while in Prophecy the girl is a big chunk of the plot.
Tonguez said:
oh and Simon isn't the fallen Priest he is the blonde dude (an Angel iirc) in Prophecy the former seminary student/cop is named Thomas
Oh. I didn't consider Simon the hero (or even a major character). He's really not in it much.

Anyway. Both highly enjoyable movies, though Prophecy is a bit cheesy in its production values it's got its own charm and good performances.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
The Prophecy Trilogy is an example of movies I'd really, really like to see remade.

The first was brilliant and the second gave us an incredible set-up for a stunning finale
chapter that then blew chunks, but still was one of those movies where you can really
see the potential for greatness.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Tonguez said:
iirc Michael lead the Angelic Host
Raphael was the messenger
Lucifer was formerly Gods lamp bearer but rebelled

is this correct or is it just more urban myth?
Yes, you got it. Lucifer means "light bearer" and was the Devil's name before the fall. He was also considered God's favorite, before the managerial dispute.

Lord Pendragon said:
Spoilers, highlight to read
I love that part! The look on Walken's face is hilarious. :D

JimAde said:
Prophecy is a bit cheesy in its production values it's got its own charm and good performances.
Good assesment. Actually, I kind of like the lesser production values of the film; they let you concentrate on what's going on, and they let some of the actors really do a fun job with the characters (Walken, in particular, and then there's that great appearance by Mortensen, and Koteas does an excellent job as the seminary student who had a major crisis of faith). There's some special effects, but they're not overdone and don't overshadow what's going on as happens in many films that are all bluster, no substance.

Warrior Poet

Darth Shoju

First Post
I do see the similarities there. I actually thought the same thing when I watched it. However, the Constantine movie is based largely off the "Dangerous Habits" storyline penned by Garth Ennis back in 1991. The Prophecy came out in 1995.

But I enjoyed both movies quite a bit. :)

Fast Learner

First Post
I really love the angel physiology stuff in The Prophecy: No navel, bones that don't have the tree-ring cross-section look because they were fully formed all at once, etc. Way cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads