Constitution is will power? No it's not....

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
So, then, let's be crystal clear. You think that not letting players make up their own personality applicable rules and rulings is being a slave to RAW?

It certainly does seem to be phrased that way does it not? You can not add Con to death saves because the book says you can not add Con to death saves.

BoldItalic

First Post
I'm fairly certain that the whole philosophy of 5e isn't, "All players make their own rules, and that's the way it goes. Good luck with that!"

Admittedly, I may have skimmed a few pages in the DM's Guide. And don't get me started about using the index ...

Right at the beginning (p.4), the DMG says it's the DM who decides on the rules. Unfortunately, the players are not required to read the DMG (and, indeed, are possibly discouraged from reading it). They might read the PHB but that doesn't seem to mention the idea that the DM decides the rules. So an assertive player who doesn't know the convention may well suppose that the game is anarchic and resist being told otherwise.

One remedy to the OP's situation might be to invite the player to read the introduction to the DMG, particularly the sentence about two-thirds of the way down the first column that reads "And as referee, the DM interprets the rules and decides when to abide by them and when to change them."

Jeez, I cant believe its been 5 pages and no one has pointed out it doesnt matter RAW if he adds his con bonus, his charisma score or a billion to the roll. The only thing that matters is the roll being a 10 or higher (not the total). So things like Bane, Bless, Paladin Auras etc dont help.

Lanliss

Explorer
Yup, sure would not want one person imposing their will on the table.

Sounds terrible.

I would hardly describe what the DM does as forcing his will upon the players, except in the more extreme cases of a bad DM. The issue at hand is that the Player has offered a plan for death save changes. The DM, using his right as DM, said no. The player decided "screw that, I am gonna do it anyway". I do not know about you, but I would never reward behavior like that by caving in, and letting the problem player have his way.

Perhaps if he could supply a rational argument for his case, I would consider it more. As it stands though, he is simply being childish.

Endur

First Post
I think a player suggesting a house rule is a good thing. It shows involvement with the game.

I might not agree with the player. I'm probably even going to be annoyed during the game that it happens as it is a distraction from the game going on right then.

But after thinking about it, after the game, I might go back to the player and say, "You raise a good point. In the future, that is how we will play it."

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It certainly does seem to be phrased that way does it not? You can not add Con to death saves because the book says you can not add Con to death saves.

Got it. The only way to not be a slave to the RAW is to have each player play with whatever rules he wants to at that time. There should never be a shared ruleset unless it organically occurs due to each player's whims.

Pray tell, why bother with rulebooks at all? Obviously, they're unneeded in the Glorious Game of Gimmie.

BoldItalic

First Post
Next thing you know, monsters are arguing with the DM.

Player: I swing ... *rolls a crit*
DM: "With a mighty swipe of your trusty blade, you chop the goblin's head off and it dies."
Goblin: "No I don't. I get a death save and add 7 for being a goblin." *rolls a 4* "See?"
DM: "Goblins can't just invent their own rules."
Goblin: "Where does it say that?
Player: "It's .. no, wait, .. this is crazy!"
DM: "I quite agree. The goblin is dead."
Goblin: "No I'm not."

Remove ads