Constitution is will power? No it's not....

Darkmantle26

First Post
So I have a friend, who thought that death saves were a constitution save, when they are not. I told him this, his answer was "That's stupid! They are now." When I asked him why he thought this way, he said that constitution was the "Will to keep going" I told him Constitution was bodily health, but he refused to believe me. What do I do? He's taking it to a point where he is adding his constitution to death saves when I DM, how am I suppose to convince him?

S

Sunseeker

If you're DMing tell him he's wrong (because you are the DM and the rules support you, not him) and he will stop or he will be ejected from the game.

I understand his argument, but that's not the rules.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Eh, he sounds kind of unreasonable, but if you and the rest of the table are willing to just play it with Con scores applying to death saves, it sounds like easy ground to give as long as he understands it to be a house rule. The game's not going to break with such a house rule in place. It'll just mean they'll be less likely to die. Some DMs would see this as a good thing.

BoldItalic

First Post
Allow it, but balance it.

Tell him, yes, he's right, it is an optional rule, but the flip side is that every failed death save results in a permanent reduction of 1 point of Constitution.

Because it's reasonable, isn't it? :D

The Basic rules say this: Constitution measures health, stamina, and vital force.
Wisdom is traditionally willpower. If he thinks death saves should be based on will power, then ask him to instead make Wisdom checks.

That said, Constitution for death saves would not be out of line and would make sense. But it should be slightly higher, perhaps a DC 11 or even 12.

Is this one of the same people you were having trouble with in the "Did I do something wrong?" thread?

If so, you really need to find a new gaming group. No, I'm not joking.

Life is too short to waste time gaming with people this dim.

Remove ads