D&D (2024) The Hit Dices (Hit Points) used in classes don't make sense.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Therefore, I present the following proposal:

1d4 - Wizards, Sorcerers.
1d6 - Warlock, Clerics, Bards and Druid.
1d8 - Paladins and Rangers.
1d10 - Rogue and Monk.
1d12 - Fighter and Barbarian.
I can't say I'm a fan, in the main.

The current HD have a lot to do with legacy issues - all of the fighters subclasses are d10s, cleric subclasses d8s, etc. But they also indicate designs of how that particular class was expected to fight. If their class can be expected to stand their ground and defend their fellows in back ranks - fighters, paladins - they get a d10 (barbarians were a particular exception). Or are they expected to move around and avoid that kind of protracted entanglement - monks, rogues - they get a d8. Half-caster vs non-caster never really entered into it - nor do I think it necessarily should, particularly if the half-caster spells are focused around supporting their fighting role rather than casting like a wizard or sorcerer.

A d4 for hit die isn't, I think, sustainable in 5e for long. The damage amounts dealt by monsters and NPCs have been higher since 3e thanks to everyone getting stat bonuses to damage now. The d4 for hit points was due for retirement.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Im not sure if d10 is appropriate for rogue, since they were never meant to be frontline melee but yeah putting wizards back to d4 makes sense given the state of the game

but my true preference is give EVERYONE d6, stop the bloat so things are more lethal then grant Fighters damage reduction via superior skill and armor (Barbs get in through resistance)

Ringtail

World Traveller
Really don't like your suggestions, since I think we're well past the point of using a 1d4 for Hit Dice (Seriously, that's just brutal) and downgrading a bunch of classes to smaller hit dice (particularly the d6) doesn't feel good either.

Fixing that Caster/Martial divide isn't going to be done by adjusting hit points, but by adjusting spells, the actual source of caster power.

Edit: Honestly just get rid of Hit dice and give everyone a static number per level, which can be adjusted as desired for 'balance.'

Remathilis

Legend

1d10 - Rogue and Monk.

I assume you are using this for hp generation also and not just short rest hp recovery right?

It's certainly a throwback to have arcane casters rolling 1d4 (2) HP per level. It would absolutely nerf hexblade, war cleric, moon druid and battle bards though (who would effectively make melee a trap for them) and it would make tanky paladins far more likely to become mobility fighters. Meanwhile the rogue and monk could actually tank pretty well as avoidance tanks (step of the wind and uncanny dodge).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I .... don't disagree with this.

Quite frankly, it's a weird legacy of the system that half-casters (Ranger, Paladin) get d10- same as the Fighter, while Monks (which are martials) have the same as Warlocks (full casters).

That said, I would amend your proposal somewhat. Bards should get d1.
I expected you'd do a d2-1 in order to kill half at creation

Incenjucar

Legend
I say put them back to 2E numbers and add in new classes or level 1 options that fit the tank striker rogue and monk habit that's been confusing things.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes I agree with the OP. PARTICULARLY for monks. I never will understand what they're thinking giving them fewer hit points than other martials but making their primary attack a melee fist.

1d10 - Rogue and Monk.
I don't like d4s for HD at all. I think the following is more appropriate for their roles. I think Monk deserves the 1d12 alongside the other two Warriors. I think the Paladin and Ranger are correct at d10, and the Rogue should join them. Soft casters deserve the d6, and the more combat-focused casters get the d8.

1d6 - Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
1d8 - Bard, Cleric, Druid
1d10 - Paladin, Ranger, Rogue
1d12 - Barbarian, Fighter, Monk

Remove ads