constructing a 3D Tower (Shackled City campaign ending)

Janx

Hero
as a builder type person, here's my take on the problem:

As I understand you want a tower, that looks like a + sign when I assume, seen from the side (if + when looked from above, even easier).

One method is to print out each floor map at 1" scale. Cut out the excess paper (the outside).

for a short tower, use plywoood or foamcore (I assume plywood), cut in the same shape as each floor. Glue the floor paper to the wood.

At this point, you can stack them, to build the tower. If you want a more "realistic" shape, use a thicker material (or glue them together in layers).

The result, is a flat map, with a 3d reveal.

To maintain alignment (especially with a taller tower. Get dowels make pegs to align them. I recommend doing it as pegs, rather than running the dowel all the way through, as the dowel will interfere with game play.

Whereas, drilling a hole on the surface (not all the way through), and having the pegs extend from the bottom, will not. Use more than 2 pegs per level, so each level can rest on it's own if you need to play multi-level. Build a base-board to accept the 1st floor (and incorporate any extra exterior ground-level terrain.

Paint the outside BEFORE you glue on the floorplans. This avoids damaging them.

As for doing the fog-of-war, your mileage will vary. Doing that style can slow down game play (you have to describe more, and the players will be more cautious).

My solution, which will also add height, is to cut "over-floors" from the same material, that are then sub-cut along room boundaries.

Let's pretend you're using 3/4" plywood.

You cut out 2 identical shapes for the first floor. Glue the floorplan to the first piece, cut the second piece along the floor plan room boundaries.

Pre-game, set the floor-pairs up such that the floor plans are covered.

Place the first floor down, and remove the first "room" block. When the players move to the second floor, put the blocks back, so you can put the next floor up.

A flatter version is to use paper "covers" instead, which means you don't have to re-cover everything as you put new floors on (allowing for a re-visit and explore floors dynamic).

A big concern is that building a custom set piece will take a lot of time, and be of limited re-use. Not impossible, but the more specialized, the less re-use (otherwise your players will groan every time they end up at Mount Doom). Using a modular map system to build the tower out of might be a better investment.

B4cchus

Explorer
That's some good advice, Janx! Thanks.

At this moment, the plan is to make the levels from MDF wood (since I have a lot of that already). It is about 7mm thick.
I will make pillars on the bottom of each level and small pegs at the bottom of each pillar. These pegs will slot into holes of the previous level.
This way I will stack each level as the players progress to the top.

For fog of war I will reveal rooms and such as the players progres (and not re-hide them when they are out of sight). For the flooplan I intend to use Fat Dragon Dungeon tiles which let me make a faily customized floorplan with good looking hi-res pieces. I will cut these to the appropoate sizes.
I think I will lay these out as the players progress (instead of glueing them on in advance) but I am still deciding on this (as it may slow down play drasticly).

On the thought that this will be a lot of work for single use: I know. But it is the end of our current campaign and I wan''t to end it with a BIG bang :)

Also, I misread the scale.. each map square seems to be 10' instead of 5', making each floor about 40 inch by 40 inch. I think I will resize the map down to about 75% of it's origional size.. but it's still going to be BIG!
The foorprint will be between 30 and 40 inces across and it will be at least as tall!
Can't wait to start at this tonight! (If time allows).

Janx

Hero
Here's some other ideas, maybe useful for somebody else, or your next project:

Cardstock terrain. WorldWorks makes a ton of good stuff, as do other companies. Google it up, you'd be surprised at how good it looks.

Another method I use, is to build terrain props for parts of the scene. I'll use my standard battlemat for the map, but then build a 3d model for parts of the scene.

bridges, altars, gates/portals

I've even got a campfire I made (small pebbles, twigs glued to a wooden nickel).

These will make the scene 'pop', and as smaller pieces are easier to build and re-use.

B4cchus

Explorer
So we ended the Shackles City Campaign and it was Grand!
The tower of Skullrot left a lasting impression on both me and the players.

Thanks for all the advice, It was quite usefull.

I constructed Skullrot a bit different from the map used in the book, both for practical reasons and to make it more interresting for my players.
See the attached photos for the results...

Attachments

• skullrot1.jpg
    skullrot1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 207
  • skullrot2.jpg
    skullrot2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 166
  • skullrot3.jpg
    skullrot3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 150

Festivus

First Post
So we ended the Shackles City Campaign and it was Grand!
The tower of Skullrot left a lasting impression on both me and the players.

Thanks for all the advice, It was quite usefull.

I constructed Skullrot a bit different from the map used in the book, both for practical reasons and to make it more interresting for my players.
See the attached photos for the results...

Looks great! Congrats on your project.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases