• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Contest, ENPub] Elements of Magic review contest - now over

PugioilAudacio

First Post
Just to reconfir:shalev at simplyphysics dot com.

I'm trying to make a Flash App that will create spells for EoM. The problem with so much customizability is that there is a lot of stuff to consider. That and that I keep redoing the interface:)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
PugioilAudacio said:
Just to reconfir:shalev at simplyphysics dot com.

I'm trying to make a Flash App that will create spells for EoM. The problem with so much customizability is that there is a lot of stuff to consider. That and that I keep redoing the interface:)
Man, that would be cool!

Wasgo

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I would almost feel self-conscious posting this, because the reviews are generally very positive, but I really do feel proud about publishing this book. I hope you all enjoy it.

While I am considering purchasing this, I now intend to wait for a few more reviews. Personally I'm of the impression that by offering a contest for reviewers, it may have biased them. Until I can see an unbiased review, I'm holding off buying it.

I've been trying to find some folks off-site who'll post a review, but it's still standard to give them a complimentary copy.

You could always buy a copy, then post your own review. *grin*

Wasgo

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I've been trying to find some folks off-site who'll post a review, but it's still standard to give them a complimentary copy.

You could always buy a copy, then post your own review. *grin*

In terms of complimentary copies, I get that. The reward for reviewing though just reminds me of the Pepsi challenge. 8 of 10 people prefer Pepsi, but Coke wins in the sales. As for buying it then reviewing it, my writing skills just aren't sharp enough lately.

Wasgo said:
8 of 10 people prefer Pepsi, but Coke wins in the sales.

And that's good. My University's endowment is funded by their Coke stock. When Coke stock goes down, tuition goes up. When Coke stock goes up, we build new things and plant lots of flowers.

PugioilAudacio

First Post
Morrus said:
Man, that would be cool!

Would you consider hosting it when I'm done the alpha alpha alpha version? I just want to allow people to comment on how they would want it to be done, once they see how I'm doing it. As it's a flash app, it's reallllly small.

I have a hard time taking any of the 5 posted reviews for Elements of Magic Revised very seriously, both due to the deadline which favours speed over thorough review, and the nature of the prize.

It's akin to New Line offering a bit part in King Kong to the first 5 people who review the Return of the King.

I make no comment on the quality of the book in question, as I've not read it, but I feel the nature of this contest harms the credibility of this book and, to a certain extent, EN Publishing as a whole.

My two cents,
Patrick Younts

Disclaimer: I do not think it reflects poorly on the reviews portion of this site, as I consider the staff reviews, and the vast majority of the reader submitted reviews, to be well considered and valuable to pulishers, authors and buyers.

slaughterkin

First Post
could the author, or someone who has purchased the product tell me if the rules are open content?
In other words, could someone use these rules in another published product, or are they only for private use?

thank you.

Well, it is pretty much required by the Open Gaming License that any rules content be open, so yes, pretty much all the text except for company names and such are OGC.

To Arcane Runes Press, you're not the first to comment that offering prizes might bias the reviewers. The issue of the time constraint is valid, but we had to limit the contest somehow, and we wanted to get some reviews up because, as far as I know, staff reviewers at ENWorld still aren't supposed to review ENPub products. We wanted to offer potential buyers the ability to see what others had to say. I thought this would be more fair than having people buy it blind, so I think your suggestion of bias is a little unfair, since we would have awarded a prize even to someone who gave us a 1.

However, I am eager to 'clear my name.' If you were already a little interested in the book, I could send you a comp copy now, and if you think it genuinely deserves a 4 or a 5, you could buy a copy for yourself. Would that be fair?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads