• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Continual Flame and Market price Ever burning Items?

melkoriii

First Post
SO I got a scroll of Continual Flame so I could make Ever Burning Torches for my fellow night blind party members.

And realized that it only cost 50gp to make a Ever Burning Torch BUT its Market price is 1000gp (Though I cant find them in the SRD)

As a 4th lvl Wizard with an effective INT of 22, I can make 4 of these a day. More if I use my Pearl of Power.

How would you price one of these torches?

Also

I have taken a Gray Iuon stone and cast CF on it. How much would you charge Market for this item as it makes a torch hands free.

reiella

Explorer
Simple answer, that isn't an everburning torch, it's a torch that happens to burn forever :).

One Dispel, or pass through anti-magic field and it stops forever, unlike the items, which will still work.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
An "everburning torch" isn't a regular magic item. It's just some random stick with a spell cast on it. Assuming that you get the stick for free, market price is just the cost for having the spell cast.

Hiring someone to cast a spell costs (10 gp x caster level x spell level), plus material components. For continual flame cast by a Wiz3, this works out to 110 gp.

So, assuming you can get sticks for free, you should expect to sell "everburning torches" for 110 gp.

The burned out ioun stone is not priced in 3.5. If your DM lets you keep the 3.0 price of 25 gp, the market price of a gray ioun stone with continual flame on it is 135 gp.

Xavim

First Post
Note: That since Continual Flame is a permanent effect it would resume its normal illumenating behaviours when removed from the anti-magic. However, dispel magic would still be effective.

jgsugden

Legend
melkoriii said:
I have taken a Gray Iuon stone and cast CF on it. How much would you charge Market for this item as it makes a torch hands free.

This sounds like a good idea, but it is really not a good idea. Take the lampshgade off a lamp. Take the lamp in a dark room and plug it in. Turn off the other lights. Wait a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark a bit. Now, turn on the light and pass that bulb in front of your eyes, about two feet away from your head.

OK. Don't really do this. You might hurt yourself, but you can imagine my point.

At the minimum, your should suffer the light sensitivity penalties that an orc suffers in normal light. In addition, I'd consider you distracted for any purposes that require concentration or have an option for distracted beings (listen checks, a concentration check for spellcasting, etc ...)

As for a price, 25 gold seems too cheap for a floating ioun stone. You'd figure the demand for them would drive their price up a bit. Now that there is no official proce for them anymore, I'd suggest a base price of 500 gold or so. When you add in the spell, I'd bump it up to 610.

Corwin

Explorer
In a fledgling campaign, I recently started playing a human cleric/fighter with a fire affinity/motif. Planning on going Flame Steward soon, BTW. :D

Anyway, we just barely made 5th-level and he still doesn't have a magic weapon. But his masterwork bastardsword has had continual flame on the blade since we started the game.

Aside from the niftiness of it, he gets to carry his "torch" around without needing an extra hand. Works reall well.

Can't wait to get my hands on a real flaming sword, though.

melkoriii

First Post
The two fighters (Cleric/Fighter, Monk) in my party now have there weapons with CF cast on them.

jgsugden

Why would you price the Gray Ioun stone at 500gp? It has no effect at all.

Also there is nothing in the rules that state the penaties you would give for this good use of the spell and a useless item.

To each there own.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
jgsugden said:
OK. Don't really do this. You might hurt yourself, but you can imagine my point.
Now point out where in the rules it says that an Ioun stone passes through your LOS?

I daresay that such an event, even from a non-flaming version, would be irritating, yet the rules make no bones about it.

The solution is just to assume that the ioun stone keeps out of the way.

jgsugden

Legend
melkoriii said:
Why would you price the Gray Ioun stone at 500gp? It has no effect at all.
It floats by itself. That is pretty nifty.

Pretend that you could go down to the 'Sharper Image' store and buy a stone that floated around your head for $500.00. You might not buy it, but a lot of people would. There is a limited supply of these things, so demand should drive the price up.

Alternatively, think of them as using a levitation spell to float. An item that reproduces a 2nd level spell should be at least a 1000 gold. Then, you discuount it for the lack of other uses it might create.
melkoriii said:
Also there is nothing in the rules that state the penaties you would give for this good use of the spell and a useless item.
Yes, there is. Look at the 3.5 DMG page 6, column 2, paragraph 2. 'Often a situation will arise that isn't explicitly covered by the rules. In such a situation, you need to provide guidance as to how it should be resolved.'

As the DM, if I see a situation that is not covered by the rules, but deserves some game impact, it is my duty to figure out something that works. If you have a bright light pass in front of your eyes every few seconds, it should have some effect on the you.

FoxWander

Adventurer
He's got a point about the annoyingness of having a flame spinning around your head. I'd have to think that ioun stones usually stay out of your line of sight, at least until you tilt your head to look at them- otherwise how would you ever catch them to put them away if you wanted. But if you turned one of them into an orbiting ball of flame it would have to be distracting, or at least annoying. Plus, have you ever tried to actually navigate a dark area by torch light? The lights unsteady enough just by virtue of being fire, but if you were to spin your torch in a 2 foot circle constantly you'd drive yourself, and certainly your fellow party members, insane! And that's not even including the extra attention it would draw from monsters and such.

Now if you could somehow get rid of the orbiting aspect of that stone it'd be an extra spiffy thing to have! :) Maybe you can talk your DM into ruling that way. After all it's "burnt out" it shouldn't spin around any more, right? Of course, that's just as likely to bring a ruling that they don't float anymore either, so have bribes of pizza and drinks handy. ;)

Remove ads