• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Continual Flame and Market price Ever burning Items?

jgsugden

Legend
Saeviomagy said:
Now point out where in the rules it says that an Ioun stone passes through your LOS?

The ioun stone takes up a circling orbit 1d3 feet from the head. Last time I checked, I use the eyes in my head to see.

Even if the stone passes slightly above or slightly below eye level, it still shines directly on your eyes.

There are no direct game rules saying this type of penalty must be used. It is up to the DM to decide whether there should be some sort of negative ramification if someone has a bright lightbulb orbitting their head. I'm just saying that if you think about how this would actually play out, it seems like it would really screw with the PC's vision.

If you're a DM and you don't like my suggestion, feel free to make up your own interpretation. If you're a player and your DM doesn't like my interpretation .... *cough* ... get a better DM. :D

Tewligan

First Post
jgsugden said:
Pretend that you could go down to the 'Sharper Image' store and buy a stone that floated around your head for $500.00. You might not buy it, but a lot of people would. There is a limited supply of these things, so demand should drive the price up.
Well, a levitating rock would be pretty impressive to us because there's no such thing as magic. In a world with wizards, dragons, and magical nipple clamps, a rock whose claim to fame is that it floats isn't going to fetch quite as high of a price as it would here.

kreynolds

First Post
jgsugden said:
The ioun stone takes up a circling orbit 1d3 feet from the head. Last time I checked, I use the eyes in my head to see.

Even if the stone passes slightly above or slightly below eye level, it still shines directly on your eyes.

Do you apply spot penalties to people that wear full plate?

jgsugden said:
If you're a player and your DM doesn't like my interpretation .... *cough* ... get a better DM. :D

I'll be good and leave this one alone. ;)

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
jgsugden said:

In earlier editions you could use a light spell to dazzle someone, but not in 3e+. What makes you think this should dazzle anyone?

Or do you allow wizards to use their light cantrip, cast on the end of someones nose, to dazzle them ?!?

Brown Jenkin

First Post
In our campaign I have a CFed grey ioun stone that we sometimes use for a lightsource. Our DM (Black Omega) has never had an issue with it that I am aware of. The way I always imagined it was that they floated in circles above the head, not orbiting around it directly. Just for experiments sake I took an 18" ruler and spun it around about a foot from the top of my head and was unable to see it. Even allowing that it is sometimes in the field of vision I have been about 2 feet from real torches (summer camps and scouting) as well as Collemen lanterns (camping) and was never blinded or distracted by them.

Christian

Explorer
FTR, the everburning torch does appear in the SRD. They've (very sensibly) moved it from the magic items section to the 'special and superior items' table in the regular equipment section. And it's priced at 110 gp, as Auraseer calculated. (Actually, since it says it's a 'normal torch', it should really be 110 gp + 1 cp. :) )

Beholder Bob

First Post
A light source that needs no hands - continual flame on your cloth hat. Turn it inside out to "hide" the flame. Only problem, those damn moths!

FrankTrollman

First Post
The Everburning Torch costs less than 110 gp because the price is brought down by the fact that sometimes wizards cast lesser planar binding and conjure Lantern Archons, and get them to work for a few hours making one Ever Burning Torch per round. This works out to 600 'Torches per hour - at the cost of a single fifth level spell.

A 5th level spell costs 450 gp to get cast, so assuming that that the Lantern Archon is himself paid 26,550 gp for an hour's work we can easily see that the total cost for creating all 600 torches is 27,000 gp - from which we get their combined market price of 54,000 gp. Spread out amongst those 600 torches the average market price per torch is therefore 90 gp - which is precisely the listed value.

-Frank

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads