D&D 5E Conversion Ideas for Hoard Of The Dragon Queen

Lhorgrim

Explorer
So I'm excited for the new release, pre-ordered the core books and starter set, but I'm hedging on the two new adventures.

Based on the descriptions, they seem to be built from the ground up for the Forgotten Realms. I know that many people love that campaign setting, but it just doesn't ring my bell for some reason. Also, cilantro tastes like soap to me and I don't like ketchup on hot dogs...just a matter of taste.

I like Greyhawk and have the gazetteer from 3E and the giant poster map from Dungeon magazine, but I'm no expert on the setting. So, based on the info we have about the new adventures, can somebody give me some tips on how to set these in Greyhawk? I know we don't have all the details yet, but I'm just looking for some ideas to let me start learning about the appropriate parts of Greyhawk to be ready. Who could I use to replace the Cult of the Dragon for example? I don't feel I know enough detail about Faerun to make a good guess. Is the Cult of the Dragon something that could be transplanted whole into Greyhawk? I'm open to ideas. If the members here can give me some direction. I think I'd be comfortable in picking up the new adventures. I suspect that most adventure material for the new edition is going to be Realms focused, so learning enough about both setting to make swaps will make me more likely to use the published stuff.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Greyhawk covers a multitude of versions... the time period you use for your campaign does tend to influence what powers will be active.

The biggest problem you're likely to find is that the Tyranny of Dragons storyline isn't set in just one place. It makes use of a large portion of the Realms, and that therefore requires a fair bit of conversion.

The major power groups taking place in Tyranny are as follows:
* The Zhentarim
* Red Wizards of Thay
* Cult of the Dragon
* The Harpers

These provide problems. They're very Realms-specific, and a lot of them are out-of-character for Greyhawk. The Cult I would just import wholesale, the Red Wizards might possibly be replaced by the Great Kingdom, the Zhentarim by the Scarlet Brotherhood, although no ready substitute brings itself to mind for the Harpers. Perhaps the Circle of Eight and their agents?

Cheers!

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking of using the Horned Society as the Greyhawk version of the Cult of the Dragon. The 3E Gazatteer is set after the Greyhawk Wars, so that's the time period I was planning to use. There's a blurb somewhere that leaves the status of the Horned Society in doubt, so I think I could swap them with the Cult without much trouble.

I guess I'll wait and see how the adventures are received, and then decide if I can file off the Forgotten Realms.

Thanks again.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Horned Society sound like they'd fit fairly well - in my campaign, they tend to be Devil-worshippers (split off from the chaos-loving Iuz), and Tiamat rules one of the planes of Hell in some versions of the cosmology.

Cheers!

Chuck Whelon

First Post
Horde of the Dragon Queen Greyhawk Conversion

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Not started yet, but thanks for the tips. Being an old-school guy, I kind of like the really old-school era... but I guess I will see how it goes. Will keep you posed on what I end up doing.

Eric V

Hero
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Not started yet, but thanks for the tips. Being an old-school guy, I kind of like the really old-school era... but I guess I will see how it goes. Will keep you posed on what I end up doing.

That would be great. Trying to do the same, and was wondering where, geographically, you might put this? I thought perhaps along the coast of the Great Kingdom, but those are some evil places there...

For the Harpers, I definitely can see agents of the Circle of Eight (or Five, if you're playing FtA like I am), or Tenser's group if you are playing post-Rot8.

sgtscott658

First Post
Hi ya-

I am running this adventure in my Greyhawk campaign pre Greyhawk wars circa 568CY. I did not follow the adventure HotDQ verbatim in my campaign, too much railroading encounters if I did. Plus I wanted the players to feel more responsible for the inhabitants by getting to know the various NPC's.

FR version Greyhawk
* The Zhentarim ---------------------------------------->Guild of Blades
* Red Wizards of Thay --------------------------------->Cult of Ulatek (A like group of nut jobs)
* Cult of the Dragon -------------------------------------> Remains the same
* The Harpers --------------------------------------------> Jeager Staffal

So here is what I did, I used Hommlet in place of Greenist. Hommlet is located between Verbobonc and Narwell. I had the players in Hommlet a few weeks earlier then when the raid happened by the Dragon Cult. Once more this was to give the players a chance to know the locals and not feel railroaded into the adventure.

The Raiders Camp in chapter 2 I replaced with The Moathouse with the Dragon Hatchery beneath the Moathouse in the catacombs. This easily rolled both CH2 and CH 3 together and made for less klunkieness for this part of the adventure.

On the Road CH4, I changed Balders gate to Safeton

Ch5 Waterdeep became Santuary which is at the tip of the Bright Desert and along the coast. Here the players would meet up with the Jeager Staffal, the equivelents to the FR Harpers.

CH 6 Castle Nearytar I placed in the Bright desert and yes, the players will have to not only fight the cults plans but also the heat and sands of the desert.

CH 7 and 8: Have not gotten to those parts yet but more then likely I'll keep the Hunters Lodge in the Bright Desert maybe. I dont think I will have to make any real changes to geography as far as CH 8 goes.

Hopefully the Above helps.

Scott

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm currently debating between using Eberron and my 30 year old home brew. I'll be interested to see what sort of ideas roll in.

FWIW, Eberron is calling to me because I think the Cult of the Dragon (Below) actually finding a way to awaken Tiamat (one of the most powerful of horrors from the Age of Demons), who is also the Queen of Evil Dragons would be a great way to really showcase a world literally created from three dragons.

Remove ads