• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

COnversion of Psionics to Skills and Feats System?

Gellion

First Post
jester47 said:
I simply use sorcerers. IMCs there are 3 kinds of sorcerers- Dragonblood, Outsiderblood, and Psionic.

My logic is thus:

The many of the spells in the game are actually commonly known psychic terms:

Telekineis
astral projection

etc.

So I figure, why not just use the magic system? The only thing missing is a spell called "mind blast." Psionic mind to mind combat is essentially a function of enchantment vs abjuration spells. You get a pretty nice system without all the points and renamed powers (essentially spells) getting in the way.

here is a better explanation:

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm25.showMessageRange?topicID=348.topic&start=21&stop=40

enjoy.

Thats nice. But i like Psionics to be very different from magic.

jester47

First Post
Gellion said:
Thats nice. But i like Psionics to be very different from magic.

Well, its a cut and fast way to do it. I agree with you that the current system is not the way. I ussually will find a way to make a current mechanic cover a aspect of the game before I go shopping for somthing.

For example, IMC I have tweaked what hitpoints really represent, and I now have a very simple wounds and vitality system that still uses the old hp deaths door mechanic. Simply put, you dont get hit until you cross or reach 0. I can post the explanation if you want. It largely revolves around why incorporeal undead have hit points if they don't have bodies.

IMC I plan on using my sorc = psion system and using the Psionics are different rule. This provides less for me to learn, less for my players to learn, gives psionic effects, and generally does not slow down the game as a new tacked on system would.

However, I think if you were to tack on a system, (instead of reusing code... I mean rules, and just change effect), then feats and templates are probably the way to go.

Also, keep in mind that just because somthing is supposed to be different it does not require a completely different mechanic. Psionics are different from magic only in the way they work. They are still one time effects. And thus I use the already in place system for one time effects. Just makes sense to me.

Aaron.

Gellion

First Post
The Iron Mark said:
Green Ronin is coming out with a Psychic's Handbook, that presents a skill and feat system. It's even designed to work alongside core psionics.

Yeah, i heard about those over at the WOTC Psionics Handbook forums. :)

Roman

First Post
Arkhandus said:
This website I came across has such a system, though I haven't had a chance to try it out for myself. Looks neat though. The link is halfway down the page at this URL:
http://www.darkshire.org/~jhkim/rpg/srd/sleepingimperium/downloads.htm

Thanks for this link! I have skimmed the relevant document and this is exactly the type of thing I imagine for psionics, :) though of course, I do not know whether it has been properly balanced.

Remove ads