• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting 3.5 PC to AD&D

LostSoul

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, at this level I don't think it's going to work out. With the BAB and caster level my 3.5 PC has (+17/17th wizard) I don't really see the point of porting over to AD&D. I should explore other options to make it easier on the DM.

Nezkrul

First Post
7th level fighter human dual classed to single class m/u 17th; he is a (roleplayed) ruathar, "Friend of the Elves", was raised with elves and has adopted their way of life, thinking, and study of magic

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, at this level I don't think it's going to work out. With the BAB and caster level my 3.5 PC has (+17/17th wizard) I don't really see the point of porting over to AD&D. I should explore other options to make it easier on the DM.

Well there's your problem. You're thinking that the "numbers" of your character are more important than your actual "character". You shouldn't be trying to convert "numbers to numbers". It won't work. Give up now on that whole line of thinking. Anytime I do a conversion from Game A to Game 16, I use my "common language" method. That's basically taking something and reducing it to words, then equating those words to the new game.

For example: A 3.5e D&D "Sword +3, +2d6 Frost Burst"...rewording to be just words is... "Medium powered sword of frost"...converting into:

• Marvel Super Heroes Advanced "Frost Sword of Y'Mir is made of Excellent material strength ice, does Ex/20 edged damage. When it hits an opponent, a burst of freezing cold in a 1-area radius for Ex/20 cold-energy damage".
  • Star Frontiers: "Cryo-Sword. A Cryo-Sword is akin to vibro-sword, but the power source is a super-cooled gas that expands quickly when the sword hits something resulting in a burst of near absolute-zero cold. The sword does 1d10 base damage, plus an additional 2d10 of cold damage if the wielder switches on the cryo-power. In the later case, it drains 2 SEU on a hit."
  • 1e AD&D: "Sword +3, Frost Brand". (wow, that was easy!)

Characters are the same way. The most important thing isn't the numbers of your character; it's the character concept, personality, history, etc. that is the most important. Use that to re-create your character in 1e terms. Don't worry about "breaking the rules"...the 1e rules are infinitely more forgiving than the 3.5e ones by orders of magnitude. If you need to take the Thief Skill "Climb Walls" because your character had an obscene Climb skill rating...just do it. Write down "Climb Walls as 10th level thief". You won't "break" the game.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The most important thing isn't the numbers of your character; it's the character concept, personality, history, etc. that is the most important. Use that to re-create your character in 1e terms.

I was contemplating writing my own reply to this thread; now there's no need. You nailed it.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Well there's your problem. You're thinking that the "numbers" of your character are more important than your actual "character". You shouldn't be trying to convert "numbers to numbers". It won't work.

That's not what I'm thinking. I have converted the numbers over a couple of different ways, and each time I look at what I've got and wonder if I want to play that PC. The by-the-rules version doesn't fit with what my PC has done; the version that can cast 9th-level spells seems too powerful - like it's outside of the bounds of AD&D.

The conversion of the numbers is pretty simple. I guess I'm just not sure how the game would play out.

Here's my to-do list in the game:
  • Kill the epic level fey hunt master who is going to spend eternity hunting me down.
  • Get my old crew, who were cast across the planes, back together.
  • Build a fortress for my simulacrum and clone.
  • Destroy the nation of... some Forgotten Realms one, I forget which. The Egypt one. Before they get me first.
  • Kill the lich who rules Luskan and take it over.

How do you guys think that would play out?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads