Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Both of them are listed as "one or more specific forms". I say Change Shape. That way, it keeps its stats, and having a little old lady being monstrously strong strikes me as properly myffic. Plus, we can say that it acts as Change Shape, except the disguise bonus is decreased, since they retain one of their monstrous characteristics.

Demiurge out.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm with Change Shape. Change Shape also allows changing into a "specific type" of creature, which is more flexible than Alternate Form.

freyar

Ok, that's decided. :)

For updating homebrews, I think we agreed upthread that the young silat should have DR 5/cold iron. Also, from the original text, it should have fast healing 1. Beyond change shape (with a reduced bonus to disguise checks), I don't think the young silat should have any other special abilities. Anyone else?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Younger silats (up to a century old) can polymorph all but one part of their form (usually the feet) three times/day. They will always take great pains to hide these appendages by covering them with rags.

Here's the doppelganger's change shape ability for inspiration:

Change Shape (Su): A young silat can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A doppelganger can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Skills: A doppelganger has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

*When using its change shape ability, a doppelganger gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If it can read an opponent’s mind, it gets a further +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

Are there any other 3e precedents for shape change limited to uses per day? Do we limit them to humanoids (and maybe monstrous humanoids and giants)?

freyar

Let's make sure we reduce that disguise bonus, even if we have to put in special text to do it. I'd say allow monstrous humanoids and giants as well and also Large size. I don't know about use per day limits, but it's easy enough to add if we want.

talinthalas

First Post
I agree with the reduction in disguise bonus to simulate that they can't change their entire form as a young, and then we should give them the full bonus as an adult an matriarch

freyar

Ok, here's what I think. We should use the normal change shape for adult and matriarch silats at will. I think the forms allowed should be Medium & Large humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and giants (not so sure about Small for these). I also think these should get the racial +4 Disguise bonus like the doppelganger; after all, they kind of operate the same way. For the young silat, I suggest this:

Diminished Change Shape (Su): A young silat can assume the shape of any Medium or Large humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or giant three times per day. This works exactly as the Change Shape special ability, except that the young silat cannot transform the appearance of her feet. The young silat therefore only gains a bonus of +6 to Disguise checks when using this ability to disguise itself.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated (with flavor text).

Skills: 30
Common hag skills include Concentration, Craft or Knowledge (any one), Hide, Listen, Spot, Swim. A few have Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.

Feats: 3
Common feats for hags include Alertness, Blind-Fight, Great Fortitude

Challenge Rating: 5?

Treasure: Standard like most hags?

Advancement: By character class?

Silats speak Common and Giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads