• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
Well, we could swap Combat Reflexes for Imp Init, which is sort of stealth-related and certainly useful in an ambush.

I don't know how the krenshar's scare is related to befriend here. Tell you what, I'll roll a die below. 1-2 for racial, 3-4 for typeless. Oh, and Befriend seems like it should be Su to me. EDIT: the die says racial bonus.

Just add pass without trace as an SLA? Or just give them a druid's trackless step?

It reads more like Trackless Step to me, so I was going to go for an adaptation of that.

How about...

Traceless Path (Su): A hyenawere in hyena form can move through any kind of terrain while leaving neither footprints nor scent, making nonmagical tracking impossible. It may choose to leave a trail if it desires.

Cleon

Legend
Well, we could swap Combat Reflexes for Imp Init, which is sort of stealth-related and certainly useful in an ambush.

I'm liking Improved Initiative for them better.

I don't know how the krenshar's scare is related to befriend here. Tell you what, I'll roll a die below. 1-2 for racial, 3-4 for typeless. Oh, and Befriend seems like it should be Su to me. EDIT: the die says racial bonus.

I was using it as a model by changing the Krenshar's scary-fying into friendly-fying.

It's (Ex or Su) because the Diplomacy check effects are (Ex) and the charm person effects are (Su).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Traceless Path as you have it works for me.

Let's go with Imp Init since you like it better.

I'd prefer to make Befriend Su. The charm is certainly Su, so we need to go with that. Furthermore, it's reasonable to argue that the Diplomacy bonus also comes from the infusion of magic in the hyenawere body and mind or something. The reason I don't like the comparison to the krenshar is that the krenshar literally pulls back a flap of skin around its head to expose muscles, etc, and there's nothing like that at all going on here.

Cleon

Legend
Traceless Path as you have it works for me.

Let's go with Imp Init since you like it better.

I'd prefer to make Befriend Su. The charm is certainly Su, so we need to go with that. Furthermore, it's reasonable to argue that the Diplomacy bonus also comes from the infusion of magic in the hyenawere body and mind or something. The reason I don't like the comparison to the krenshar is that the krenshar literally pulls back a flap of skin around its head to expose muscles, etc, and there's nothing like that at all going on here.

Well, I guess it'll only make a difference if the Hyenawere's victims are in an antimagic field, and that probably won't happen often.

Okay, Improved Initiative and Supernatural Befriending it is then.

Updating the Hyenawere Working Draft.

Did we decide on the type for the Diplomacy bonus? It ought to be enhancement or typeless, since racial bonus doesn't really fit a (Su) power.

freyar

Let's make it typeless. I feel like it ought to stack with any Diplomacy bonus a hyenawere could get from a magic item, etc.

Cleon

Legend
Let's make it typeless. I feel like it ought to stack with any Diplomacy bonus a hyenawere could get from a magic item, etc.

Sure, I was leaning that way since the Krenshar's scare bonus is also typeless.

Anything else in the way of special abilities, or shall I update?

freyar

Let's update. I don't think these need more SAs or SQs, so shall we move on? I'm thinking either a strong CR 3 or weak 4 by comparison to the barghest and werewolf.

Cleon

Legend
Let's update. I don't think these need more SAs or SQs, so shall we move on? I'm thinking either a strong CR 3 or weak 4 by comparison to the barghest and werewolf.

I'd go for CR 4. They've got more HD and better BAB/hp/saves than a Werewolf and a useful supernatural special attack, plus Cold Iron is a special material that's rarely wielded by low level PCs.

Remove ads