Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
OK, we can make both an animal and magical beast version. I think the jungle hounds should be an underbar, rather than a separate creature. The question is whether jungle hound are the animal version, the magical beast version, or both?

We might as well make the Jungle Hound a Magical Beast since it's a variant on the 2HD Saluqi.

Added the animal version to Homebrews.

I took the standard dog stats, but since it straddles the line between Small and Medium, placed Str and Dex between the dog and riding dog.

Since these are "sight" hounds, should we reduce the tracking by scent bonus?

That looks a good start on the Animal version.

Since these are Greyhounds, I'd consider making them faster - they need to catch hares and antelopes, remember. Maybe give them Speed 50 ft. and Run?

I would cut the tracking by scent bonus out entirely.

EDIT: Added the jann saluqi as well.

How's this for Infallible Tracker?

Infallible Tracking (Su): A jann saluqi has supernatural eyesight that sees recent trails as a glowing set of tracks. This allows the saluqi to infallibly follow any trail up to 30 minutes old, provided the surface the trail crosses is not fluid (i.e. the saluqi can not use infallible tracking if the creature flies away or enters water). Anti-divination spells such as nondetection are effective against infallible tracking.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed to all that.

Updated animal and jann versions.

Should we give the animal version a bonus on Survival checks when tracking by visual cues? Otherwise, it will be a rather poor tracker.

Number 6

First Post
A bit off-topic... but what about the Zakharan horse breed from that island in the Crowded Sea? I don't believe Al-Qadim has a Monstrous Compendium sheet on it, but would it be worth making an entry for that breed of horse? They are supposed to be a bit better.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to all that.

Updated animal and jann versions.

Should we give the animal version a bonus on Survival checks when tracking by visual cues? Otherwise, it will be a rather poor tracker.

I'd say no. Sight hounds are generally poor trackers. They mainly chase prey they can see. Just scent plus Track should be enough.

I would have no objection to giving the Jann version a bonus on Survival checks to track by visual cues, maybe make it an enhancement bonus due to their magical "tracking gaze".

Cleon

Legend
A bit off-topic... but what about the Zakharan horse breed from that island in the Crowded Sea? I don't believe Al-Qadim has a Monstrous Compendium sheet on it, but would it be worth making an entry for that breed of horse? They are supposed to be a bit better.

Do these horses have any unusual powers? If it's only a question of them having above average ability scores I don't think we need bother.

Number 6

First Post
Do these horses have any unusual powers? If it's only a question of them having above average ability scores I don't think we need bother.
They probably don't since they were not written up... but I recall something almost unnatural about them. It might simply be from the mythical description of their origins. I'll snoop some more, but I bet we don't need to do anything.

UPDATE:
ALQ1 said:
Jazirat al-Sayyad is the source of the magnificent Sayyad bloodline of horses. The breed is noted for its speed, grace, and fiery temperament. Sayyads are referred to as "sea-bred," for it is rumored that the island's mares are mated to magical stallions that rise out of the ocean foam. It is also said that only a true horseman can master a fullblooded Sayyad. Since there are more horse riders than true horsemen, Sayyads are normally sold on the mainland to sire other Zakharan horses. Half-, even quarter-Sayyads, retain much of the fire and fine qualities of their sires.
Yeah... the text refers to a myth. It doesn't look like anything we need to get involved in.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Back to the saluqi, shall we work on the "group overrun and stunning attack"?

Also, since they originally had 120 ft. infravision, should we give the magical beast version superior low-light vision (in addition to infallible tracking)?

Number 6

First Post
Could we use something similar to the Hyena's trip?

Trip (Ex): A hyena that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyena.

Number 6

First Post
Trip (Ex): A saluqi that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the saluqi.
Alternatively, we can give the saluqi another bonus feat... either Improved Grapple or Improved Overrun.

Remove ads