• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's the MoF/Serpent Kingdoms firenewt...

Firenewt
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Fire, Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (chainmail)(4 squares); base 30 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 chainmail), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d8/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d8/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +2, Ride +3
Feats: Mounted Combat
Environment: Warm mountains
Organization: Solitary, gang (5-10), warband (16-35), or or tribe (81-100, including 2-4 clerics of 1st-4th level, 4 elite warriors of 2nd or 3rd level, and an overlord of 4th-6th level)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Firenewts are distant relatives of the lizardfolk, cruel marauders that roam hot and volcanic regions.

A firenewt's skin is a mottled sepia color, darkest along the spine and fading to a near-white on the belly. The smooth flesh and features resemble those of an eel. The eyes are deep crimson. They stand around 5 1/2 to 6 feet tall and weigh 170 to 180 pounds.

Firenewts speak Draconic.

Combat
Firenewt warriors are typically armored in chainmail and carry longswords, battleaxes, or longspears. Fully 33% of firenewts encountered on the surface ride giant striders trained for melee. At least 90% of elite warriors and all clerics ride these mounts as well.

Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 5 minutes, a firenewt can breathe fire on an opponent within 5 feet. This attack deals 1d6 points of fire damage; a successful Reflex save (DC 12) reduces the damage by half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Forgot those were in MoF. I could see Verini as having the fire subtype based on flavor, though mechanically they only seem to have resistance rather than immunity. Your call.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't have the 2e version available, but the 1e Fiend Folio version had a similar resistance, rather than immunity. So since it was upgraded to immunity in 3e, I could see support for going that route here as well.

freyar

You mean the same thing for the Firenewts? In that case, let's definitely go for the fire subtype.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed to fire subtype. I'm intrigued by these guys, seeing as I ran a highly firenewt-centric game some years back.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I don't have the 2e version available, but the 1e Fiend Folio version had a similar resistance, rather than immunity. So since it was upgraded to immunity in 3e, I could see support for going that route here as well.

The 2nd Edition version is also resistant ("highly resistant to fire-based attacks and save with +3 bonuses [...] In addition, all fire-based attacks [...] are reduced by 1 hit point of damage per die of the attack") rather than immune, but I agree that the verini should probably follow the example set for firenewts in 3e and be immune to fire.

freyar

Sounds like we're all agreed, then.

Start the verini with 5HD and have a lot of advancement possible?

Since verini are slightly larger, have more HD, and are considerably more intelligent, I propose bumping the firenewt stats across the board: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 16? (Assuming 5HD.)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

SPECIAL ATTACKS: Spit paralysis poison 30’
Verini never use ranged weapons. The main reason that the verini avoid ranged weapons is that they can spit a special toxin every other round. The poison is a contact paralysis, similar to the thri-kreen poison, but taking effect in a matter of seconds. If a save vs. poison is not made, the victim is paralyzed for 2–8 rounds. If the victim saves, he or she is only paralyzed for one round. It is not uncommon for travellers to come across a band of paralyzed bandits, only to see verini in the distance, leaving the scene. Of course, because the verini have a natural poison going through their bodies, they are also resistant to poisons, getting a +2 to their save vs. poisons and paralysis. Generally, this poison is used to hunt, with one verini luring a creature into range of the others, who then spring on it, hitting it with their poison and tracking it as the poison takes effect and paralyzes the creature. It is then easily killed and taken back to be eaten. However, if under attack, a verini will not hesitate to paralyze its aggressors so that it can flee.

Thri-kreen venom...

Poison (Ex): Bite, initial damage 1d6 Dex, secondary damage paralysis for 2d6 minutes, DC 11 + Con modifier. A thri-kreen produces sufficient poison for only one poisonous bite per day.

Verini are fast. When running, they sometimes go down on all fours and are able to cover terrain very quickly. They have a knack of knowing where to go to find the easiest ground, so they suffer no penalties for moving over rough terrain.

Didn't we do a similiar "no terrain penalties to movement" ability recently?

freyar

Hmm, the thri-keen poison sounds better than the original verini poison. I'd be interested to know how the 2e thri-keen poison looks in comparison.

We did a similar no terrain penalties thing. Was it the windthrowers or something similar? Can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads