• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
After checking Blood Enemies' appendix on Awnshegh Blood Abilities (pages 124-127), I've discovered immunity to natural weapons falls under the Resistance Blood Ability (p. 127), not the Invulnerability Blood Ability (p. 126).

Sorry for any confusion.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A hideous mass of undead bodies congeals from the mists, crying "Hold Shade! There is no escape from our conversion. You have omitted a 'creating a lost soul' note, so you must still become One Off US! It is futile to resist!"

Heroically leaping between Shade and the curiously articulate lost soul appears Cleon, defiantly announcing "You have no hold on this worthy Shade! We need not expound on how some foul necromancer can create your kind, for their are extradimensional undead in Ye Booke of Monstres (3rd edition) which spurn such details of their creation, such as the unholy Devourer."

Whew! Thanks for stepping in. :eek:

It might help to familiarize yourself with how Blood Abilities work (see Birthright Campaign Setting Rulebook, pages 20-29). The Ice Fiend has the Azrai bloodline so is an Awnshegh, a character or creature that's inherited the power of an evil god and turned into a monster. There's some background and many examples of Awnsheghs in the Rulebook (pages 89-90 and reference cards 9-12) and Blood Enemies - Abominations of Cerilia.

The Ice Fiend's Blood Abilities appear to be the form of a giant ice-monster (Bloodform) and immunity to normal weapons (Invulnerability). I'm guessing the frost breath weapon is part of his Bloodform, since I can't find any awnsheghs that have breath weapons as a separate blood ability. Then again, I believe "special" blood abilities aren't unusual for an awnshegh.

Two (or is it three) Blood abilities is reasonable for a creature with 32 Blood Strength like the Ice Fiend. Unlike ordinary Blooded creatures, the ice fiend's Blood abilities seem to vary in strength with the season. It doesn't give the Fiend a Blood Abilities breakdown, but it looks like they're powerless in spring and summer, Minor Abilities in autumn and Major Abilities in winter.

Does any of this tranlate well to these?

Bloodlines :: d20srd.org

Cleon

Legend
Whew! Thanks for stepping in. :eek:

Does any of this tranlate well to these?

Bloodlines :: d20srd.org

Not particularly. The Minor/Intermediate/Major terminology's similar, but the Blood Abilities in Birthright are independent of level and are acquired randomly by the hallowed tradition of rolling on a d% table.

We could pick and choose some of the abilities from the Devil or Demon bloodlines, though methinks the Half-Fiend template would be as appropriate a source.

We're probably better off just building it from scratch as a unique monster.

I'm thinking the Ice Fiend looks like a Large Monstrous Humanoid (Cold), or maybe (Cold, Evil).

Many awnsheghs in Blood Enemies are more-or-less humanoid in form and have the abilities of whatever character class (there are examples of fighters, wizards and bards) they possessed before they became monsters, and some gain high levels in those abilities.

The Ice Fiend was a 5th level ranger. That seems underwhelming for a terror of even a small region, so I suggest starting him as a 10th level ranger, a 10 HD Monstrous Humanoid with abilities like a ranger, or a combination (e.g. a 5 HD Monstrous Humanoid who's also a 5th level ranger).

I quite like the combo-approach.

What do you think we should do about the Fiend's power waxing in autumn and winter?

Use an approach similar to positive levels?

Shade

Monster Junkie
We're probably better off just building it from scratch as a unique monster.

I agree.

I'm thinking the Ice Fiend looks like a Large Monstrous Humanoid (Cold), or maybe (Cold, Evil).

Based on the description, it sounds more like Outsider (Cold, Evil, Native).

Many awnsheghs in Blood Enemies are more-or-less humanoid in form and have the abilities of whatever character class (there are examples of fighters, wizards and bards) they possessed before they became monsters, and some gain high levels in those abilities.

The Ice Fiend was a 5th level ranger. That seems underwhelming for a terror of even a small region, so I suggest starting him as a 10th level ranger, a 10 HD Monstrous Humanoid with abilities like a ranger, or a combination (e.g. a 5 HD Monstrous Humanoid who's also a 5th level ranger).

I quite like the combo-approach.

I actually favor the non-combo, since 5th-level rangers get few interesting abilities, but 10th-level rangers get woodland stride, swift tracking, and evasion. ;)

What do you think we should do about the Fiend's power waxing in autumn and winter?

Use an approach similar to positive levels?

That might work, but it might be easier on the DMs to simply list three stat blocks (or something similar to the way creatures with rage now have truncated stat blocks showing the changes when raging).

Cleon

Legend
I agree.

Based on the description, it sounds more like Outsider (Cold, Evil, Native).

Going by the illustrations in Blood Enemies, most of the awnsheghs of human origin look like humans who've started sprouting monstrous bits.

I actually favor the non-combo, since 5th-level rangers get few interesting abilities, but 10th-level rangers get woodland stride, swift tracking, and evasion. ;)

Or we could make it 10th level ranger plus 10 HD of Monstrous Humanoid...

One problem is its Combat Style is of little use since it doesn't have any weapons. How about giving it a Large Longbow?

Hmm, or we could add a supernatural ability to manifest an "Frost Bow" that it shoots icicle-arrows with and make it an Archer Ranger...

That might work, but it might be easier on the DMs to simply list three stat blocks (or something similar to the way creatures with rage now have truncated stat blocks showing the changes when raging).

Yes, I was going to include the stat blocks anyway.

How about it's a 10th level ranger in summer, a 10th level ranger plus 10HD of Monstrous Humanoid in autumn, and ranger 10/monster 20 in winter?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Going by the illustrations in Blood Enemies, most of the awnsheghs of human origin look like humans who've started sprouting monstrous bits.

I still favor navite outsider, since the change is brought on by the fiendish bloodline.

Or we could make it 10th level ranger plus 10 HD of Monstrous Humanoid...

That's far more epic than the original 5 HD. Not that I'm completely opposed... :devil:

One problem is its Combat Style is of little use since it doesn't have any weapons. How about giving it a Large Longbow?

Hmm, or we could add a supernatural ability to manifest an "Frost Bow" that it shoots icicle-arrows with and make it an Archer Ranger...

The latter sounds fun (and further supports native outsider)!

Yes, I was going to include the stat blocks anyway.

How about it's a 10th level ranger in summer, a 10th level ranger plus 10HD of Monstrous Humanoid in autumn, and ranger 10/monster 20 in winter?

I'd rather make it a straight up 10 HD outsider, that inflates to greater HD and special abilities in the colder months. I think we may even have a precedent for somthing like this. I can't recall ever seeing something with variable class levels by season, and it feels a bit "wrong" to me.

freyar, any thoughts on the matter?

Cleon

Legend
I still favor navite outsider, since the change is brought on by the fiendish bloodline.

Oh very well, if it makes you happy. I'm not that attached to Monstrous Humanoid.

That's far more epic than the original 5 HD. Not that I'm completely opposed... :devil:

It's not so much "more epic" I was aiming for than "not a trivial opponent for a mid-level party".

The latter sounds fun (and further supports native outsider)!

Let's do it then!

I'd rather make it a straight up 10 HD outsider, that inflates to greater HD and special abilities in the colder months. I think we may even have a precedent for somthing like this. I can't recall ever seeing something with variable class levels by season, and it feels a bit "wrong" to me.

freyar, any thoughts on the matter?

I was going for variable Monstrous Humanoid Native Outsider levels by season on top of a fixed ranger level.

That said, I don't mind straight Outsider with something similar to "Martial Training" except for ranger instead of fighter.

However, I think we'd better trim the HD down a bit since Outsiders are a lot tougher than Monstrous Humanoids.

Instead of 10/20/30 HD how about 10/15/20 HD for Summer/Autumn/Winter?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd go for 10/15/20HD native Outsider with possibly varying ranger-like abilities. A variation on the ice devil abilities appeals, too.

The seasonal template in GRR's Advanced Bestiary is the closest precedent I can think of. It handles the changes in season with special abilities and ability score boosts. But I'm not sure that's powerful enough, though it might be worth looking at.

Cleon

Legend
Perfect!

It is similar in size and appearance to an ice devil...

Str 23, Dex 21, Con 23, Int 22, Wis 22, Cha 20

I think those are way too high for a minor awnshegh, going by the examples in Blood Enemies. I can see one of the toughest examples, like The Gorgon, having comparable stats but not a third division critter like the Ice Fiend.

A Frost Giant or Efreet would suit me better as a baseline:

Frost Giant: Str 29, Dex 9, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
Efreet: Str 23, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15

Hows about averaging the two, to make something like:

Ice Fiend: Str 26, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 13

That's for the "Summer" version, I think the Autumn and Winter variety would get tougher. Maybe +2 Str, Con and Cha for Autumn, +4 for Winter?

Summer Ice Fiend:
Str 26, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 13
Autumn Ice Fiend: Str 28, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15
Winter Ice Fiend: Str 30, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 17

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads