• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
Energy drain monsters often get temp hp too (see the wight).

Erm, yes I know. That's a standard feature of 3E energy drain.

Anyway, that blood drain seems fine.

So that's settled.

Reworking Children of the Night seems next.

I'm thinking we make it all-arachnid and match the CRs (more-or-less) to the Children of the Night creature's. Plus, I fancy adding some Spider Swarms in there too, e.g.:

Children of the Spider Queen (Su): Drow vampires command the monstrous arachnids of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 spider swarms, 1d4+1 Large Monstrous Spiders, 1d3 Large Monstrous Scorpions, or a pack of 3d6 Medium Monstrous Spiders as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Reworking Children of the Night seems next.

I'm thinking we make it all-arachnid and match the CRs (more-or-less) to the Children of the Night creature's. Plus, I fancy adding some Spider Swarms in there too, e.g.:

Children of the Spider Queen (Su): Drow vampires command the monstrous arachnids of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 spider swarms, 1d4+1 Large Monstrous Spiders, 1d3 Large Monstrous Scorpions, or a pack of 3d6 Medium Monstrous Spiders as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour.

I like it. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Next on the list is Dominate, which needs transmogrifying into some kind of "Awe" power.

Here's a previous "Awe" power...

Awe (Su): Once per day, a t’uen-rin may create an aura that can deeply affect mortals. It does this by rearing up on its hind legs, and letting out a commanding cry. Creatures that can see the t’uen-rin must succeed on a DC 28 Will save to avoid the effects. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw remains immune to that t’uen-rin's awe for 24 hours. This effect lasts for 2d6+6 rounds. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A t’uen-rin can choose from the following effects each round as a free action while its awe power is in effect:

Daze: Affected beings just stare at the t’uen-rin in fascination. Awed creatures may defend themselves normally, but can take no actions. If a creature attacked physically, it will recover in the following round.

Fright: Affected beings become shaken and suffer a –2 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks. The merest glance or gesture from the t’uen-rin makes them frightened, and they flee as quickly as they can, although they can choose the path of their flight.

Resolve: The t’uen-rin’s allies receive a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and checks, while the t’uen-rin’s foes receive a –4 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks.

Cleon

Legend
Here's a previous "Awe" power...

Awe (Su): Once per day, a t’uen-rin may create an aura that can deeply affect mortals. It does this by rearing up on its hind legs, and letting out a commanding cry. Creatures that can see the t’uen-rin must succeed on a DC 28 Will save to avoid the effects. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw remains immune to that t’uen-rin's awe for 24 hours. This effect lasts for 2d6+6 rounds. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A t’uen-rin can choose from the following effects each round as a free action while its awe power is in effect:

Daze: Affected beings just stare at the t’uen-rin in fascination. Awed creatures may defend themselves normally, but can take no actions. If a creature attacked physically, it will recover in the following round.

Fright: Affected beings become shaken and suffer a –2 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks. The merest glance or gesture from the t’uen-rin makes them frightened, and they flee as quickly as they can, although they can choose the path of their flight.

Resolve: The t’uen-rin’s allies receive a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and checks, while the t’uen-rin’s foes receive a –4 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks.

The description only supports a limited version of the above (2d4 rounds of Daze), but I fancy the idea of adding Fright as well.

Ravenloft said:
A drow vampire can cause awe with its merest gaze. Anyone looking into the vampire’s pale eyes must make a saving throw vs. spell. Failure means the character stands awestruck before the vampire for 2d4 melee rounds. Awestruck characters automatically drop anything they are holding. Affected victims will not attack or even approach the drow vampire unless the creature attacks them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads