• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like "bound to territory." We've done similar things before, like "grove dependent" for the kitsune.

Is shimmerweed something we need to convert/mention, or is it somewhere?

Cleon

Legend
I like "bound to territory." We've done similar things before, like "grove dependent" for the kitsune.

Is shimmerweed something we need to convert/mention, or is it somewhere?

Something like this...

The foul magics that create kender vampires bind their existence to a domain. This domain is a territory at least 10 miles across, but it can be as large as a country. Any attempt to leave the borders of its domain (willing or unwilling) instantly destroys a kender vampire, its body crumbling to dust within seconds. Even approaching the border is painful to these vampires, who rarely come within a mile of the border.

Cleon

Legend
According to Echohawk's index, it's only appeared in Monstrous Compendium Dragonlance Appendix (MC4).

Here's a link to the stats:

Magnificent Online Monstrous Database (D&D Monster Database)

Okay, after checking its MC4 entry, Shimmerweed is basically a nocturnal plant that causes confusion in self defense.

We could probably whip it up as a hazard pretty easily if we wanted to.

Shimmerweed may already have official stats in Sovereign Press's licensed 3E Dragonlance line, though. Anyone able to check on that?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Holy moly, I guess I should have figured it would be a hazard from the kender vamp description, but I figured it was something more that you'd carry around. Huh.

Yes, let's do it as a quick hazard. Even if it's in the 3E Dragonlance books, we need it for these.

We've done a whole bunch of plant hazards recently to borrow from; have none of those made it to the CC yet? Can't remember which one would be closest, though.

Cleon

Legend
Holy moly, I guess I should have figured it would be a hazard from the kender vamp description, but I figured it was something more that you'd carry around. Huh.

Yes, let's do it as a quick hazard. Even if it's in the 3E Dragonlance books, we need it for these.

We've done a whole bunch of plant hazards recently to borrow from; have none of those made it to the CC yet? Can't remember which one would be closest, though.

I'd modify the Amber Lotus, I suppose...

Enworld said:
Amber Lotus (CR 1)
Amber lotuses are magical plants with blooms resembling golden, sunflower-sized water lilies. Most amber lotus plants grow in calm ponds or swamps, but some varieties grow on vines that creep up tree trunks. An amber lotus plant covers a 5-ft square of ground (treat as difficult terrain) and has AC 10 and 2 hit points. The plant has 20 ft. range blindsight.

When an amber lotus senses a creature moving within 10 ft., its blossoms open and spray a 20 ft. diameter spread of supernatural pollen; any creature that breathes this pollen must succeed at a DC 15 Will save or fall asleep for 4d4 minutes. The plant can spray pollen every 1d4+4 minutes. It will not spray pollen if every creature within 10 ft. of the plant remains motionless. This sleep is a mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect. Immunity or resistance to sleep effects applies to the sleep caused by amber lotus pollen. Sleeping creatures are helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action).

While an amber lotus's sleep pollen is not directly dangerous, the plants are often found in concert with deadly plants such as assassin vines, which prey upon the amber lotus's sleeping victims.

How's this:

Shimmerweed (CR 1)
Shimmerweeds are magical wildflowers found in temperate woods and plains. This beautiful plant resemble a dandelion gone to seed that has been spun from fine glass. Shimmerweed grows in small patches which occupy a single 5-ft square. The plants are too small for the square to count as difficult terrain. All the shimmerweed plants in a patch are connected to each other through their roots.

Shimmerweed feeds on moonlight. It cannot tolerate bright sunlight on its delicate petals, which overloads its magical ability to feed on light, so only opens its dandelion-like flowerhead at night. The flowerhead catches the moonlight and refracts it into a dazzling spray of colors. This lightshow can cause confusion (as the spell) in any creature within a 15 ft. radius of the patch (DC 16 Will save to resist, duration 2d6 rounds). The confusion is a mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect. Shimmerweed is completely harmless during the day and on moonless nights.

A patch of shimmerweed plants is easy to destroy (AC 10, 2 hit points), but will regrow within a month unless its roots are killed. If shimmerweed with open flowers is suddenly exposed to intense light (such as a continual flame spell cast on the square occupied by the plant), the entire patch shatters into dust and is permanently destroyed.

While not directly dangerous, creatures confused by a shimmerweed's defensive lightshow may be attacked by any dangerous creatures that live nearby.

Remove ads