Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
I guess it comes down to whether you like low-CR monsters to have really nasty effects, a la the cockatrice. There was a definite move away from that in 3.X. I could see confusion plus Wis damage, Wis 0 leading to insanity, but I don't want to do too many different saves. Well, if you both like, I can go along with straight insanity.

I prefer the poison-type approach of primary/secondary saves with separate saves and Wisdom damage, because it makes permanent insanity and large Wisdom damage less likely.

Besides, I like the idea of the howl being some kind of "auditory poison"...

Shade

Monster Junkie
I guess it comes down to whether you like low-CR monsters to have really nasty effects, a la the cockatrice. There was a definite move away from that in 3.X. I could see confusion plus Wis damage, Wis 0 leading to insanity, but I don't want to do too many different saves. Well, if you both like, I can go along with straight insanity.

Insanity, while a pain in the ass, isn't nearly as devastating as petrification, instant death, and the like, so I'm comfortable keeping it.

I'd rather not get into a multiple effect/multiple save fiddly mess. It has enough special abilities to track as is.

Cleon

Legend
Insanity, while a pain in the ass, isn't nearly as devastating as petrification, instant death, and the like, so I'm comfortable keeping it.

I'd rather not get into a multiple effect/multiple save fiddly mess. It has enough special abilities to track as is.

So do you prefer single save vs permanent insanity or single save vs confusion + Wisdom damage?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You just need to be more of an RBDM. ;)

Were you going to add the Shimmerweed? Then we can add the weakness:

Repelling a Kender Vampire: Kender vampires cannot abide shimmerweed and recoil from even a fragment of a dead shimmerweed plant. A recoiling kender vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the shimmerweed and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a kender vampire at bay takes a standard action.

Slaying a Kender Vampire: The prismatic display of a shimmerweed plant in moonlight does 1d4 hp damage per round to any kender vampire within 60 ft. This damage cannot be healed by the vampire's fast healing in the presence of the shimmerweed.

The foul magics that create kender vampires bind their existence to a domain. This domain is a territory at least 10 miles across, but it can be as large as a country. Any attempt to leave the borders of its domain (willing or unwilling) instantly destroys a kender vampire, its body crumbling to dust within seconds. Even approaching the border is painful to these vampires, who rarely come within a mile of the border.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Repelling a Kender Vampire: Kender vampires cannot abide shimmerweed and recoil from even a fragment of a dead shimmerweed plant. A recoiling kender vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the shimmerweed and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a kender vampire at bay takes a standard action.

Slaying a Kender Vampire: The prismatic display of a shimmerweed plant in moonlight does 1d4 hp damage per round to any kender vampire within 60 ft. This damage cannot be healed by the vampire's fast healing in the presence of the shimmerweed.

The foul magics that create kender vampires bind their existence to a domain. This domain is a territory at least 10 miles across, but it can be as large as a country. Any attempt to leave the borders of its domain (willing or unwilling) instantly destroys a kender vampire, its body crumbling to dust within seconds. Even approaching the border is painful to these vampires, who rarely come within a mile of the border.

Lookin' good.

Cleon

Legend

The repelling bit looks fine as is. I'd rather just have the shimmerweed damage not be healable by the vampire's fast healing.

They're also vulnerable to damage from hoopaks. Which reminds me, we have yet to write up that their ability to destroy wooden weapons:
Non-magical wooden weapons that strike the creature are instantly rotted and destroyed; magical wooden weapons are entitled to a saving throw vs. acid to avoid this effect
Oh, and I still haven't roughed out anything for the Poltergeist form.

So, how's this:

Fast Healing (Ex): A kender vampire heals 2 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. Its fast healing does not heal damage from shimmerweed or hoopaks (see Kender Vampire Weaknesses, below). If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, a kender vampire automatically assumes poltergeist form and attempts to escape. It must reach its coffin home within 2 hours or become permanently trapped in poltergeist form. (It can travel up to nine miles in 2 hours.) Once at rest in its coffin, it is helpless. It regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 2 hit points per round.

Destroy Wooden Weapons (Su): Any wooden weapon (except for a hoopak) that strikes a kender vampire must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or take Y points of damage. If this damage destroys the weapon it instantly rots away, and the kender vampire takes no damage from the attack. A kender vampire can also destroy wooden objects by touching them as a standard action (a +Z melee touch attack). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poltergeist Form (Ex): As a standard action, a kender vampire can transfer itself between the Ethereal Plane and the Material Plane. As an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a kender vampire is on the Ethereal Plane, any spells is casts cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. If the kender vampire does not return to the Material Plane within 2 hours it becomes permanently trapped in the Ethereal Plane.

Kender Vampire Weaknesses
Kender vampire have a number of weaknesses.

Repelling a Kender Vampire
Kender vampires cannot abide shimmerweed and recoil from even a fragment of a dead shimmerweed plant. Similarly, they recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol. These things don't harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling kender vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the shimmerweed, mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a vampire at bay takes a standard action.

Hoopak Vulnerability
Kender vampires are normally armed with a hoopak. A kender vampire's damage reduction, fast healing and destroy wood special abilities do not affect hoopaks. If a kender vampire receives a confirmed critical hit from a hoopak, it must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save or the hoopak pierces the vampire's heart, destroying the kender vampire. Removing the hoopak does not restore the kender vampire to life (unlike a wooden stake).

Slaying a Kender Vampire
Reducing a kender vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see the note on fast healing and poltergeist form). However, certain attacks can slay vampires. Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape. Similarly, immersing a vampire in running water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round until it is destroyed at the end of the third round of immersion. Driving a wooden stake through a vampire's heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature’s head and fill its mouth with holy wafers (or their equivalent).

Kender vampires are vulnerable to damage from shimmerweed plants and hoopaks (see above). The prismatic display of a shimmerweed plant in moonlight does 1d4 hp damage per round to any kender vampire within 60 ft. Damage from moonlit shimmerweed and hoopaks cannot be healed by a kender vampire's fast healing, and will destroy the vampire if it is reduced to 0 hit points.

Remove ads