Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
Ready for skills and feats?

Sure.

What changes, if any, do we want to make to the regular Vampire Spawn?

Skills: Bluff +6, Climb +8, Craft or Profession (any one) +4, Diplomacy +4, Hide +10, Jump +8, Listen +11, Move Silently +10, Search +8, Sense Motive +11, Spot +11
Breakdown (35 ranks total)
Bluff 0 ranks +4 racial
Climb 5 ranks
Craft or Profession (any one) 0 ranks
Diplomacy 0 ranks
Hide 4 ranks +4 racial
Jump 5 ranks
Listen 4 ranks +4 racial
Move Silently 4 ranks +4 racial
Search 3 ranks +4 racial
Sense Motive 6 ranks +4 racial
Spot 4 ranks +4 racial

Feats: Alertness (B), Improved Initiative (B), Lightning Reflexes (B), Skill Focus (selected Craft or Profession skill), Toughness

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We only have 28 ranks. Maybe Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, all at 4 ranks?

Don't like either Skill Focus or Toughness. Ugh.

Actually, we still need the paralyzing drain! Let's do that before the feats. I had suggested the following:

Not sure this is quite paralysis, looks more like dazing.

"Dazing Drain" (Su or Ex?): A creature hit by a kender vampire's claw attack must make a DC X Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round and take 1 point each of Int and Wis damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I could easily go for a Will save instead, since it's resisting "pain," which could be mental rather than physical (given the effects, especially).

Cleon

Legend
We only have 28 ranks. Maybe Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, all at 4 ranks?

I'd cut 3 ranks off Hide and Sense Motive and 1 rank off Search.

Don't like either Skill Focus or Toughness. Ugh.

No disagreement there!

Maybe give them Weapon Focus (hoopak) and Stealthy instead?

Actually, we still need the paralyzing drain! Let's do that before the feats. I had suggested the following:

I thought we'd agreed on something and I just hadn't got around to posting it yet.

Anyhow, I don't mind dazed if you prefer it.

I'm leaning toward Will for the save, since it's "Spirit-Rending".

Spirit-Rending Claws (Su): A creature hit by a kender vampire's claw attack must make a DC X Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round and take 1 point each of Int and Wis damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That looks fine.

So you're suggesting skill ranks of Climb 5, Hide 1, Jump 5, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Search 2, Sense Motive 3, Spot 4? Seems a bit uneven. How about dropping Search (they don't sound like they need it much) to add to Hide (make it useful), and move 1 point from Climb and Jump into each of Hide and Sense Motive. Then you get 4 ranks each of Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, and Spot.

And your feats sound good.

Cleon

Legend
That looks fine.

So you're suggesting skill ranks of Climb 5, Hide 1, Jump 5, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Search 2, Sense Motive 3, Spot 4? Seems a bit uneven. How about dropping Search (they don't sound like they need it much) to add to Hide (make it useful), and move 1 point from Climb and Jump into each of Hide and Sense Motive. Then you get 4 ranks each of Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, and Spot.

Nothing wrong with a bit of unevenness, I think it sometimes makes a creature feel more like a being that developed organically rather than being formed out of whole cloth.

Still, I don't mind seven 4-rank skills, but would hold off updating until Shade has a say.

And your feats sound good.

Seems we're agreed.

Remove ads