Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Tactics: Drow spider-destriers bite whenever possible in melee, attempting to expose their opponents to their poison. ????

Not feeling too inspired by these, I'm afraid.

Cleon

Legend
Tactics: Drow spider-destriers bite whenever possible in melee, attempting to expose their opponents to their poison. ????

Not feeling too inspired by these, I'm afraid.

Aren't you forgetting something? :)

Wild Elves said:
If a spider horse's master knows that an enemy is approaching, the spider horse may be used to ambush the opponents. In this case, the spider horse will lurk above the entrance, hanging on a web strand and fall on the foes, surprising them on a 1-5 on 1d6.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ha! I was actually thinking about something like that, but I didn't see it in the original text at the moment and felt like we'd been using that kind of tactic too often! :p

Tactics: Drow spider-destriers bite whenever possible in melee, attempting to expose their opponents to their poison. Their drow masters often ambush enemies, hanging from the ceiling just about the entrance to a small cavern. They drop on the last of their enemies to enter, both attacking and cutting off escape.

Cleon

Legend
Ha! I was actually thinking about something like that, but I didn't see it in the original text at the moment and felt like we'd been using that kind of tactic too often! :p

Tactics: Drow spider-destriers bite whenever possible in melee, attempting to expose their opponents to their poison. Their drow masters often ambush enemies, hanging from the ceiling just about the entrance to a small cavern. They drop on the last of their enemies to enter, both attacking and cutting off escape.

Does it really need the "in melee" bit?

I'd also modify the ambush bit so it reads like the Spider-Destriers do the ambushing, not the Drow!

e.g.:

Spider-destriers bite whenever possible, attempting to expose their opponents to their poison. Their drow masters often set them to ambush enemies: the spider-destrier hangs from the ceiling above a cave entrance and drops onto the last enemy to enter, both attacking and cutting off escape.

Cleon

Legend
Aren't the drow riding them and dictating the tactics? Well, either way, it's good.

Directing their tactics, yes, but the original text's "if a spider horse's master knows that an enemy is approaching, the spider horse may be used to ambush the opponents" makes no mention of the drow having to ride them to do so.

After all, there are many things people train real-life horses to do without riders - pulling carriages, ploughing, certain circus tricks, et cetera.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads