Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shouldn't the giant totem be an actual juggernaut construct, rather than just a statue? Or is the idea to shortcut the construction of the juggernaut completely? I think the text looks ok so far once we settle that. Range is weird, also. Short, maybe? It's not exactly touch.

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't the giant totem be an actual juggernaut construct, rather than just a statue? Or is the idea to shortcut the construction of the juggernaut completely? I think the text looks ok so far once we settle that. Range is weird, also. Short, maybe? It's not exactly touch.

The original version turned a totem into a one-use guardian juggernaut that couldn't be animated again once the 24 hours duration ran out.

I'd be happy to change the range to Short.

Although what's that the range too? I guess both the totem and the pilot have to stay within the spell's range during the casting/activation, but the resulting juggernaut can wander about freely.

freyar

Hmmmm. Well, I'd certainly advocate for adding an exception that the totem can be replaced by an active construct, which remains animate even after the spell expires.

Like I said, range is a bit odd for this spell. I'd say short range from the caster to both the totem and pilot during casting but not during the duration of the spell.

Would "juggernaut stuff" just be something like this?
After casting is completed, the totem animates as a juggernaut construct of the appropriate type under control of the pilot. The juggernaut is able to use any magical equipment in its spiritual equipment slots at the direction of the pilot.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmmm. Well, I'd certainly advocate for adding an exception that the totem can be replaced by an active construct, which remains animate even after the spell expires.

Yes I was uncertain as to whether to add that option or make it a separate spell but it'll be less complicated folding it all together.

Like I said, range is a bit odd for this spell. I'd say short range from the caster to both the totem and pilot during casting but not during the duration of the spell.

Yes, I'm thinking we'll need to say all the components & targets must stay within range of the caster.

Would "juggernaut stuff" just be something like this?
After casting is completed, the totem animates as a juggernaut construct of the appropriate type under control of the pilot. The juggernaut is able to use any magical equipment in its spiritual equipment slots at the direction of the pilot.

We'll need level minimums for the various types of juggernaut. i.e.

So something like?

Targets: One pilot and one totem
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

This spell temporarily transforms a giant totem into a guardian juggernaut with the consciousness of a pilot. The pilot must be a willing intelligent being who is either a blood relative of the spellcaster or someone who has been ritually adopted into the spellcaster's clan. The type of juggernaut you can animate is based on your caster level, as shown on the table below.

Caster Level
No level requirement
9th or higher
9th or higher
11th or higher
Juggernaut Type
Wooden juggernaut
Winged juggernaut
Wicker juggernaut
Stone juggernaut
A create guardian spell requires considerable preparation (see components for additional details). The totem must be constructed in advance, which takes months of labour. A ceremonial tent must be erected. Wooden replicas of any magical items the juggernaut is intended to use are carved and the pilot must place them in the spiritual equipment slots of the totem.

The spellcaster can then start casting create guardian. The pilot ritually adorns themselves with the magical items for the juggernaut. They then remove the wooden replicas from the totem's spiritual equipment slots and replace them with the real items. The pilot, now adorned with the replica equipment, then enters the ceremonial tent and the priest completes the spellcasting by tracing a 10 foot diameter circle – the circle of control – around the pilot inside the tent. During the casting process, the caster must stay within range of all the components and targets of the create juggernaut spell.

After casting is completed, the totem animates as a guardian juggernaut of the appropriate type under control of the pilot. The juggernaut is able to use any magical equipment in its spiritual equipment slots at the direction of the pilot.

Control stuff.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
A create guardian spell requires considerable preparation (see components for additional details). The totem must be constructed in advance, which takes months of labour. A ceremonial tent must be erected. Wooden replicas of any magical items the juggernaut is intended to use are carved and the pilot must place them in the spiritual equipment slots of the totem..

I'm wondering about putting on some additional requirement for animating a wicker juggernaut since they were originally a "special" type that only one tribe new the secret of making.

My preference is including a special requirement to manufacturing a wicker totem. Maybe a special special or item? The original required a ring of fire resistance be placed in the wicker juggernaut's equipment slots.

freyar

That all looks good to me! Though I do want to add something about the juggernaut constructs.

I think I'd just have flavor about the wicker juggernauts being rare and/or known only to one clan.

What's the next part of this spell?

Cleon

Legend
That all looks good to me!

Updating Create Guardian Spell Working Draft.

Though I do want to add something about the juggernaut constructs.

How about adding this paragraph after the "type of juggernaut" table.

If the caster or pilot has control over a juggernaut construct (i.e. a normal or enhanced wooden juggernaut, stone juggernaut, wicker juggernaut or winged juggernaut) they may transform that into a guardian juggernaut instead of a totem. The juggernaut construct becomes a focal component of the create guardian spell instead of the totem material component that is normally used. Like any other spell focus, the construct is not harmed by the spell and may be animated by create guardian as many times as you desire. There is no caster level requirement for this application of the spell. Thus, you can use create guardian on a stone juggernaut even if you lack the 11th caster level the spell requires to animate a stone totem.

Also, how's this for the component text:

Material Component: A totem built in the form of a guardian juggernaut. The construction cost is 500 gp for a wooden or wicker juggernaut's totem, 1,000 gp for a stone or winged juggernaut's totem. The totem must be hand built by members of the caster's clan, a process that takes 3[?] months. If anyone who is not a member of the caster's clan works on the totem it cannot be animated by a create guardian spell. A clan may only have one totem prepared at a time. If they craft another totem when another totem is already prepared the old totem becomes ineligible for the create guardian spell once the new totem is finished.

Unlike normal material components, the totem is not destroyed when the create guardian spell is cast. When the spell's 24 hour duration expires the totem remains in existence but can no longer be animated by a create guardian spell. Expired totems are traditionally set up for display by the clans that produced them.

Focus: A ceremonial tent 10 feet across. Made out of fine fabrics it costs 500 gp[?].

I think I'd just have flavor about the wicker juggernauts being rare and/or known only to one clan.

How about adding a note that the wicker juggernauts created by this spell do not have fire resistance like the standard version so must be protected from fire to prevent them burning up?

What's the next part of this spell?

The "control stuff", which is basically the pilot must remain within the tent to keep their connection to the guardian.

The original text also has some rules about replacing or reconnecting pilots by recasting the spell within the 24 hour duration.

We should say something about the control range the pilot can operate the juggernaut. I'm thinking either "miles" or "anywhere on the same plane".

freyar

I'm happy with your proposed text for the focus juggernauts, material components, and the focus tent.

The extra note on the wicker juggernaut would be ok, though I'm not married to the idea. :)

Well, it's late for me, so you're welcome to post a draft of the control stuff if you have one. ;) As for the reconnecting/replacing pilots, I would just say that the spell's duration can be extended by recasting from within the focus tent, which also allows a change of pilots. As for control range, let's just go with "on the same plane." Seems easier.

Cleon

Legend
I'm happy with your proposed text for the focus juggernauts, material components, and the focus tent.

Updating Create Guardian Spell Working Draft.

The extra note on the wicker juggernaut would be ok, though I'm not married to the idea. :)

Well I quite like it. How's this:

*A wicker juggernaut created by this spell does not have the fire resistance spell-like ability of the normal version. The construct's own burning body will quickly reduce it to ashes unless it is given fire resistance by some additional means, such as having a ring of energy resistance (fire) placed in one of its "ring finger" equipment slots.

Well, it's late for me, so you're welcome to post a draft of the control stuff if you have one. ;) As for the reconnecting/replacing pilots, I would just say that the spell's duration can be extended by recasting from within the focus tent, which also allows a change of pilots. As for control range, let's just go with "on the same plane." Seems easier.

That all sounds good to me. If we go for the "extend duration by recasting" we'll need to remove the "24 hour" from the Material Components "When the spell's 24 hour duration expires".

I don't have a draft prepared, but I've got time to whip one up…

A guardian juggernaut created by this spell remains animated until it is destroyed or the spell's duration runs out. The pilot can direct the juggernaut as long as the juggernaut is on the same plane and the pilot remains within the control tent. If the pilot is incapacitated or killed the juggernaut continues to be animated but becomes inactive, since it only moves when its pilot acts. The juggernaut also becomes inactive if the pilot leaves the circle of control within the tent. This breaks the pilot's connection with the juggernaut. The pilot cannot resume control by reentering the circle of control. Recasting create guardian will "reset" the remaining duration of the spell to 24 hours and also allows the caster to reassign the pilot – either appointing an entirely new pilot or reconnecting a pilot who's connection to the juggernaut was broken.

I think that covers the "Control Stuff" and "Juggernaut Stuff", so we've only got the "Replica Equipment" to finish off.

Incidentally, I'm not that fond of the name "Replica" since it's not really a copy of the item, more a stand-in for it. I'd think something like "substitute" or "proxy" would be more fitting. Oh well, the original consistently uses "replica" so I guess we're sticking with that.

How's this:

Replica Equipment: These are wooden copies of items used with the juggernaut's spiritual equipment ability (see the guardian juggernaut template for details). These items must be carved out of wood by the pilot or a clan relative of theirs, a process that takes 1 day per replica item but does not require any Skill checks (the degree of workmanship of the replica being irrelevant to the spiritual connection). A wooden replica weighs the same as the items it's a copy of and has a negligible cost. Replica equipment items are effectively focus components for the create guardian spell, the spell does not consume them and the replicas can be reused.

freyar

Your note on the wicker juggernaut is fine, but it's probably smart to add that a wicker juggernaut turned into a guardian juggernaut doesn't need the extra protection.

*A wicker guardian juggernaut created by this spell does not have fire resistance (though a guardian juggernaut created from a wicker juggernaut focus retains the base construct's fire-resistance spell-like ability and needs no additional protection from fire). The construct's own burning body will quickly reduce it to ashes unless it is given fire resistance by some additional means, such as having a ring of energy resistance (fire) placed in one of its "ring finger" equipment slots.

The "recasting" paragraph is good, as is the replica equipment section.

Does that finish off the spell?

Remove ads