Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like your double double damage suggestion! :p
I was going to suggest something to benefit the hurling, like a bonus to hit, but you're right that making the heirlooms masterwork, etc, is better. Maybe desert giants have a racial bonus on thrown hurling spears?

Cleon

Legend
I like your double double damage suggestion!

That's fortunate, since I incorporated it into the Desert Giant Working Draft over a month ago.

Maybe desert giants have a racial bonus on thrown hurling spears?

Ahem:

Spear Throwing (Ex): Adult desert giants are accomplished spear throwers and receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls when throwing javelins, shortspears, spears or hurling spears.

Great minds think alike!

Cleon

Legend
Too much time between posts to keep track of everything! :p

Should Camouflage just be a racial bonus to Hide in the desert?

Their camouflage ability required a turn of preparation, which suggest it's a skill or technique of some kind, but it also says their "skin is so similar to sand and rock that they can camouflage themselves" which supports a racial bonus.

How about we take a similar approach to the SRD Crocodile and give them a racial bonus to Hide in desert terrain which they can increase by "preparing themselves"? Presumably by part-covering themselves and their clothes with sand?

It seems prudent to leave the actual racial bonus until we figure out the skills.

While we could leave it entirely in the Skills: section I'd be more in favour of explicitly describing it as a SQ to increase the change of the DM remembering it's an option when running a Desert Giant!

Cleon

Legend
That all sounds reasonable to me!

I've updated the Desert Giant Working Draft with:

Desert Camouflage (Ex): Desert giants are experts at hiding in desert environments. The desert giant typically scrapes out a foxhole and covers themself with a cloak, blanket and the surrounding sand and dirt. This requires 1 minute of preparation and grants the giant a +10 [?] circumstance bonus to Hide checks as long as they stay motionless.

Skills: Desert giants have a +## racial bonus on ??? checks.

*Desert giants have a +4 [?] racial bonus to Hide checks in desert environments, if one uses its desert camouflage ability the combined bonus is +14 [?].

Cleon

Legend
I've updated the Desert Giant Working Draft with:

Desert Camouflage (Ex): Desert giants are experts at hiding in desert environments. The desert giant typically scrapes out a foxhole and covers themself with a cloak, blanket and the surrounding sand and dirt. This requires 1 minute of preparation and grants the giant a +10 [?] circumstance bonus to Hide checks as long as they stay motionless.

I'm starting to think I like "as long as they do not move" better than "as long as they stay motionless". Or maybe "remain motionless"?

Any preferences?

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Looking for Spelljammer Monster conversions, but I see this thread kinda clumped several settings together. Has a Reigar conversion been done yet? I remember there being a Spelljammer site a long time ago that was doing 3E Spelljammer stuff, is that still around and are their conversions good?

Cleon

Legend
Looking for Spelljammer Monster conversions, but I see this thread kinda clumped several settings together. Has a Reigar conversion been done yet? I remember there being a Spelljammer site a long time ago that was doing 3E Spelljammer stuff, is that still around and are their conversions good?

That's funny, I thought we had a dedicated Spelljammer Conversion Thread that was displaced out of this forum the last time the server had a serious crash.

Well I guess we can always start a new thread here if necessary.

Anyhow, the Creature Catalog does not have a Reigar conversion, although there are some Spelljammer beasties in it - the Gammaroid, Gossamer and Isopterite were the last ones I remember us doing.

There is a Reigar conversion in Shattered Fractine's Monsters of the Void over on spelljammer.org, but I guess you might already have come across that website.

It's a fairly old conversion, being 3.0 but appears sound.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Desert Camouflage with "remain motionless" works. Either wording is fine, really.

I can go for the +4 racial Hide bonus in desert environments, but I'm not seeing much cause to add anything else from the original monster text. Sound ok to you?

Warm deserts sound ok for the environment?

Remove ads