Converting First Edition Monsters

Cleon

Legend
ok - I think adding guidance is good (can throw in resistance to make 3 cantrips then too). making some ability stats odd numbers is valid so go for it. Will add to dndbeyond once yr happy with it

Yeesh, I'm still not sure how many spells monster spellcasters are supposed to have in 5E. The examples in the Monster Manual are all over the place.

Many of the examples in the Monster Manual have fewer than the caster level + ability modifier rule (for example, the Sahuagin Priestess is a 6th-level WIS +2 caster but has seven spells instead of the eight that 6+2 is; the Androsphinx has caster level+WIS bonus of 16 but only 12 spells; et cetera).

At least the Spellcasting section of the Statistics explanation says a monster "might also include spells from a feature in that class, such as the Divine Domain feature of the cleric" so we could give the Shaman bonus spells. Not that there's a single example of a Divine Domain caster in that book!

Anyhow, I think it'd be prudent to give the Shaman just the basic eight spells but have some nonstandard cleric spells from the "domain options" I proposed above.

We could give it a domain-like ability equivalent to a lowish level spell though.

Hmm… how about:

Innate Spellcasting. The troglodyte shaman's innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12). The shaman can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components.
  • 3/day poison spray, speak with animals (reptiles only)
Spellcasting. The troglodyte shaman is a 6th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following spells prepared.
  • Cantrips (at will): guidance, resistance, thaumaturgy
  • 1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, detect poison and disease, inflict wounds
  • 2nd level (3 slots): barkskin, hold person
  • 3rd level (3 slots): conjure animals (reptiles only; such as 8 giant lizards or 4 crocodiles), spirit guardians, stinking cloud
Hmm, I think that'll do. Did muse about giving it a flavoursome but not terribly combat useful spell like augury but decided against it.

EDIT: Was going to suggest one or two reptiles for conjure animals instead of four or eight, but the only CR 2 or CR 1 reptiles in the Monster Manual are dinosaurs, specifically the Allosaurus and Plesiosaurus.

So I think I'll change the conjure animals to include the Allosaurus. It is my favourite dinosaur after all and who doesn't love dinosaurs!
  • 3rd level (3 slots): conjure animals (reptiles only; i.e. 1 allosaurus or 8 giant lizards), spirit guardians, stinking cloud
Searching through the dinosaurs of 5eSRD.com for non-official dinosaurs more out of curiosity than anything, the Hadrosaur is Challenge 2 and the Nodosaurus and Pteranodon are Challenge 1 (the official Ptero's CR 1/4 a more realistic CR 1/4, incidentally).

The Lystrosaurus in 5eSRD is CR 2 but not reptilian enough, being a Piglike Dicynodontid.

Some of these 5eSRD Dinosaurs are really far from their earlier incarnations, like the Deinonychus is a CR 1/4 weakling rather than the mincing machine of its earlier incarnations. Although it's probably more closer to the how the animal would really have been.

I was amused by the Mutant Raptor though - if you though regular Cinematic Velociraptors were bad, just wait until you meet one with innate spellcasting!

Many of these 5eSRD dinosaurs are a bit weak for their listed Challenge Ratings such as the aforementioned Deinonychus, although there's at least one that's too powerful - the Archaeopteryx is also CR 1/4 despite being the size of a crow! They should be Challenge 0 like a Raven.

It's almost enough to tempt me to post some "corrected" versions on Converting Prehistoric Creatures.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
  • Cantrips (at will): guidance, resistance, thaumaturgy
  • 1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, detect poison and disease, inflict wounds
  • 2nd level (3 slots): barkskin, hold person
  • 3rd level (3 slots): conjure animals (reptiles only; such as 1 allosaurus or 8 giant lizards), spirit guardians, stinking cloud

Hmm, that EDIT ended up a lot longer than I was planning. Went overly verbose as usual.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Looks good to me - let me know what you've posted the final versions and I will convert

Hadn't noticed mutant raptor before. On musing about it, "basiliraptor" or similar didn't sound very scary so was musing on "dread raptor" (for Witcher basilisk) but adding that many people had confused them with basilisks and called them as such...

Cleon

Legend
Looks good to me - let me know what you've posted the final versions and I will convert

I've updated the Shaman.

Hadn't noticed mutant raptor before. On musing about it, "basiliraptor" or similar didn't sound very scary so was musing on "dread raptor" (for Witcher basilisk) but adding that many people had confused them with basilisks and called them as such...

Well why don't you start Homebrew and brainstorm about an evocative name later.

Cleon

Legend
Ok - published shaman here (note "e.g." not "i.e."), warchief here and guard here. And finally chieftain here (saving throw dex bonus calculated different value)

I'm afraid I haven't "declared them complete" yet.

Want to give the Trog Guard, Warchief, Shaman and Chieftain one last go-over to see if there's anything wrong/missing…

Hmm, apart from the DEX saving throw and "e.g." fixes you mentioned, I noticed the Guard, Warchief and Chieftain have the wrong Perception and Stealth. The Perception should be +3 (passive 13) for them all, and the Stealth should be +3 for the Guard/Warchief and +4 for the Chief.

Also realized I'd forgotten to add something to their stink attacks…

Alarm Stink. A troglodyte guard can release a powerful stench as a free action. Any creature other than a troglodyte that starts its turn within 20 feet of the guard must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the stink attacks of all troglodytes with the same or fewer Hit Dice than the troglodyte guard.

I wanted all the stinks to have a time limit to the immunity, such as:

Sublime Stink. A troglodyte shaman can release an unholy stench as a free action. Any creature other than a troglodyte that starts its turn within 20 feet of the shaman must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful saving throw, the creature gains temporary immunity to the stink attacks of all troglodytes with the same or fewer Hit Dice than the troglodyte shaman. This immunity lasts until 10 minutes after the encounter ends.

Alarm Stink. A troglodyte guard can release a powerful stench as a free action. Any creature other than a troglodyte that starts its turn within 20 feet of the guard must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful saving throw, the creature gains temporary immunity to the stink attacks of all troglodytes with the same or fewer Hit Dice than the troglodyte guard. This immunity lasts until 1 hour after the encounter ends.

So basically once they save they get acclimatized to the smell for a while but don't ignore it forever. I like the idea of the chieftain / shaman's stink being so a lot more penetrating that a regular guard's.

Have updated the Guard, Warchief, Shaman and Chieftain with the above.

Can you see any other problems with them?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I'm afraid I haven't "declared them complete" yet.

Want to give the Trog Guard, Warchief, Shaman and Chieftain one last go-over to see if there's anything wrong/missing…

Hmm, apart from the DEX saving throw and "e.g." fixes you mentioned, I noticed the Guard, Warchief and Chieftain have the wrong Perception and Stealth. The Perception should be +3 (passive 13) for them all, and the Stealth should be +3 for the Guard/Warchief and +4 for the Chief.

Also realized I'd forgotten to add something to their stink attacks…

I wanted all the stinks to have a time limit to the immunity, such as:

Sublime Stink. A troglodyte shaman can release an unholy stench as a free action. Any creature other than a troglodyte that starts its turn within 20 feet of the shaman must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful saving throw, the creature gains temporary immunity to the stink attacks of all troglodytes with the same or fewer Hit Dice than the troglodyte shaman. This immunity lasts until 10 minutes after the encounter ends.

Alarm Stink. A troglodyte guard can release a powerful stench as a free action. Any creature other than a troglodyte that starts its turn within 20 feet of the guard must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful saving throw, the creature gains temporary immunity to the stink attacks of all troglodytes with the same or fewer Hit Dice than the troglodyte guard. This immunity lasts until 1 hour after the encounter ends.

So basically once they save they get acclimatized to the smell for a while but don't ignore it forever. I like the idea of the chieftain / shaman's stink being so a lot more penetrating that a regular guard's.

Have updated the Guard, Warchief, Shaman and Chieftain with the above.

Can you see any other problems with them?
Nothing jumps out at me, but I am not the best at fine detail....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases