• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's ok with me, though Cleon made the case that class abilities are enough of a boost.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I kinda like adding the "and silver". Something to make 'em just a bit better than the run of the mill muckety-mucks.

BTW, do we need to call these "greater Netherese zombies"? Or call the others "Netherese zombie spawn" or something? I find calling them "templated version" and "monster version" clunky.

freyar

I'm happy with either of your proposed name changes. And I do support making these a little tougher.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I'll await the others' reactions before changing either name.

Organization: ??.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1?

Treasure: Standard?

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: —?

Cleon

Legend
I'll await the others' reactions before changing either name.

Well I guess I'll vote for Lesser and Greater for the versions without and with the template.

I've looked through the current draft of the template and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I thought we were allowing Monstrous Humanoid as well as Humanoid, like the Vampire template does.

e.g.:
“Netherese zombie” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature with at least six levels in a character class (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
Secondly, I think the natural armour add should be added to its current NA, if any, since that's how it works for the Zombie and Vampire templates.

e.g.:
The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +4.
Organization: ??.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1?

Treasure: Standard?

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: —?

Hmm, let me think for a moment.

I like the idea of the organization names referring to how they kill & raise those they come across (gangs of farmers, party's of adventurers, merchant caravans or entire hamlets).

Maybe something like:

Organization: Solitary; gang (1 greater netherese zombie and 2-12 lesser netherese zombies); party (2-8 greater netherese zombies); caravan (1-4 greater netherese zombies and 10-100 lesser netherese zombies) or village (1-10 greater netherese zombies and 40-400 lesser netherese zombies)

Challenge Rating +1 seems about right. They're a bit tougher and gain Undead immunities.

Treasure should be standard I guess. Presumably they would retain whatever gear they had in life.

Advancement
would definitely be by character class.

I guess they should have a Level Advancement since, in theory at least, you can have a PC one. Somewhere around +3 or +4 I guess.

freyar

Well I guess I'll vote for Lesser and Greater for the versions without and with the template.
Sounds good.

I've looked through the current draft of the template and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I thought we were allowing Monstrous Humanoid as well as Humanoid, like the Vampire template does.

e.g.:
“Netherese zombie” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature with at least six levels in a character class (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
I don't remember whether we discussed this or not, but allowing monstrous humanoids makes sense. The same change should also then be added to the create spawn entry.
Secondly, I think the natural armour add should be added to its current NA, if any, since that's how it works for the Zombie and Vampire templates.

e.g.:
The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +4.

Makes them a little tougher, good.
Hmm, let me think for a moment.

I like the idea of the organization names referring to how they kill & raise those they come across (gangs of farmers, party's of adventurers, merchant caravans or entire hamlets).

Maybe something like:

Organization: Solitary; gang (1 greater netherese zombie and 2-12 lesser netherese zombies); party (2-8 greater netherese zombies); caravan (1-4 greater netherese zombies and 10-100 lesser netherese zombies) or village (1-10 greater netherese zombies and 40-400 lesser netherese zombies)
Nice!
Challenge Rating +1 seems about right. They're a bit tougher and gain Undead immunities.

Treasure should be standard I guess. Presumably they would retain whatever gear they had in life.

Advancement
would definitely be by character class.

I guess they should have a Level Advancement since, in theory at least, you can have a PC one. Somewhere around +3 or +4 I guess.

That all sounds about right.

One more question: do we want eligibility for this template (and the create spawn entry) to be based on 6 character levels or 6 HD?

Cleon

Legend
One more question: do we want eligibility for this template (and the create spawn entry) to be based on 6 character levels or 6 HD?

Originally, I was presuming character levels, since I think it's down to the "strength of character" of the subject whether they become Lesser or Greater Netherese Zombies.

However, there is a good argument for it being HD based. It would mean things like Medusas would always become the Greater version, which seems right somehow.

Can't decide which I prefer, I'll have to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads