• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about we do that but allow Shade's suggestion: summoning them in air and lighting them? Since they're not aquatic, they probably don't have to be summoned in the water. ;)

Cleon

Legend
How about we do that but allow Shade's suggestion: summoning them in air and lighting them? Since they're not aquatic, they probably don't have to be summoned in the water. ;)

So, so you can use a like living alchemist's fire out of water? Presumably you could do the same with a freshly dead one that still has that "cupful of flammable oil" in it.

I like that idea.

It's a bit rough on the Black Burners, some adventurers can be real meanies. ;)

freyar

Ok, I don't even need the summoning bit if we write in that they can burn like alchemists fire. I guess really like a flask of oil, taking a full round action to light.

I now have this mental image of some PCs fighting trolls or ogre magi, running out of fire weapons but recognizing all the "fish" swimming around near them. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ok, I don't even need the summoning bit if we write in that they can burn like alchemists fire. I guess really like a flask of oil, taking a full round action to light.

I now have this mental image of some PCs fighting trolls or ogre magi, running out of fire weapons but recognizing all the "fish" swimming around near them. :D

WIN. :devil:

freyar

Ok, then, just take Cleon's basic stats and add

Flammable (Ex): A black burner (alive or dead for no more than 1 week?) burns easily due to the special oils in its flesh. If lit carefully, a black burner body corpse can be kept burning as a small fire for up to X hours. If lit quickly, a live or dead black burner can be lit and thrown as a splash weapon as a full-round action, following the rules for alchemist's fire otherwise.

Cleon

Legend
Ok, then, just take Cleon's basic stats and add

Flammable (Ex): A black burner (alive or dead for no more than 1 week?) burns easily due to the special oils in its flesh. If lit carefully, a black burner body corpse can be kept burning as a small fire for up to X hours. If lit quickly, a live or dead black burner can be lit and thrown as a splash weapon as a full-round action, following the rules for alchemist's fire otherwise.

I can go along with that. The original creature could "slow burn" for 3d4 hours. Do we want to keep that or use a different dice with the same average (1d4+5, 1d6+4, 1d8+3, 1d10+2, 1d12+1, 3d6-3 et cetera).

I like either 3d4 or 1d6+4, not much fussed which.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Same here. Updated.

Skills: 4

Challenge Rating: 1/6? It's slightly better than a rat, with higher AC, attack modifier and blindsense.

Advancement: x

A black burner is 1 to 2 feet long and weighs x pounds.

freyar

Swim.

Sure.

Maybe no advancement, maybe let them advance to 2 or 3HD but stay Tiny.

2-4 lb based on scaling from the Baikal seal, the smallest listed (and adding a little bit to plump them up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads