• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So how about:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--chain lightning, control winds, greater dispel magic, telekinesis, warp wood, water breathing; 5/day--dominate monster; 3/day--call lightning storm, control weather, fog cloud, repel wood, transmute metal to wood; 1/day--acid fog, antipathy, crushing hand, elemental swarm (water only), incendiary cloud, storm of vengeance, sunburst, whirlwind. Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

What range for the blindsight?

Shade

Monster Junkie
An attack on a sea-going ship is performed in one of several ways. The sea titan might batter the ship with its massive arms, capsize the ship by coming up from beneath it, or slap it with a flipper. If the ship is small enough, the sea titan may try to crush it by embracing it in its sinewy arms. A punch from a sea titan delivers 4 points of structural (hull) damage per hit; a flipper slap delivers 2 points. A crush delivers 8 points of structural damage.

We can borrow these abilities:

Capsize (Ex): A submerged dragon turtle that surfaces under a boat or ship less than 20 feet long capsizes the vessel 95% of the time. It has a 50% chance to capsize a vessel from 20 to 60 feet long and a 20% chance to capsize one over 60 feet long.

Constrict Ship (Ex): Instead of crushing a ship with its tail, a sea drake can wrap its serpentine body around all but the largest ships and crush them or drag them below the waves automatically. This can be done to a rowboath (1 round), keelboats (3 rounds), longships (5 rounds), and sailing ships (10 rounds). Warships and galleys are too large for a sea drake to affect in this way.

Crushing Blow (Ex): A sea drake can use its tail flukes to smash a boat to splinters. The ship is hit automatically once every 10 rounds, taking tail smash damage (between attacks the sea drake is submerged). The ship's pilot must make a Reflex saving throw (DC 20) after each hit to keep the vessel from being breached and sinking in 1d10 minutes. Apply a modifier to the DC based on the type of ship: rowboat +4, keelboat +2, sailing ship or longship +0, warship -3, galley -5. Regardless of the ship's saving throw result, characters aboard the ship must make Reflex saving throws (DC 20); a successful save means the character takes 1d4 points of damage; on a failed save, a character on deck is hurled overboard and a character belowdecks takes 2d4 points of damage.

Though they have little use for magical items, sea titans do have an interest in treasure and often have a sizable stockpile of gold and silver as a result.

Titans have double standard plus gear.

How about Double coins; double goods; no items?

Sea titans speak their own language, as well as triton and 2-8 other oceanic tongues.

Titans speak Abyssal, Common, Celestial, Draconic, and Giant.

Tritons speak Common and Aquan.

Combine the two?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The vessel attacks look good, though we might need to re-jigger based on size. (BTW, I just noticed that the size is listed as Medium, when I think we may want Gargantuan -- 40 ft long/tall, right?)

Let's do triple coins & goods, just to make them worth a bit.

Since these are native outsiders and neutral, I'd drop Abyssal and Celestial and go with Aquan, Common, Celestial, Draconic, and Giant. If we really need another, add Undercommon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Other than forgetting to change the word "Medium", everything else was based off Huge like that regular titan. Do we want to raise them to Gargantuan? If so, we're probably looking at modified physical stats to go with that.

freyar

Hmm, isn't 40 feet long Gargantuan? Or is that still Huge? I can never remember, and I think that's only given in the MM, not SRD (as far as I can ever find it).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, Gargantuan starts at 32 feet.

And I checked, and titans didn't get any smaller between 2e and 3e, so it looks like the sea titan was intended to be bigger than a standard titan.

freyar

Ok, let's just bump the stats to G size. Are the HD a little low now, or do you think it's still ok?

Shade

Monster Junkie
According to the MM, Gargantuan minimum HD is 12, so we're fine. ;)

Updated.

Note that the capsize ability is based off the Huge dragon turtle. It may need to be adjusted. The other two ship-busting abilities are based off the Gargantuan sea drake, so those should be fine.

Skills: 12 at 25 ranks
Titan has Balance +7, Bluff +19, Climb +22, Concentration +37, Craft (any one) +28, Diplomacy +11, Disguise +7 (+9 acting), Heal +20, Intimidate +32, Jump +38, Knowledge (any one) +28, Listen +32, Perform (oratory) +30, Sense Motive +32, Search +28, Spellcraft +17, Spot +32, Survival +9 (+11 following tracks), Swim +16 (Note that the low ones are probably the result of synergy bonuses)

Feats: 8 (1 can be epic)
Titan has Awesome Blow, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (chain lightning).

freyar

We'll just up the sizes on the boats for capsize, I guess. I'll try to look at that on the weekend.

For feats, nothing inspiring springs to mind to add to that list. But we could drop Imp Sunder (cause these guys don't use weapons anyway) and add Imp Init and Superior Init. Maybe you can come up with something better.

I'll have to come back to the skills later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads