• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sea titans have the ability to summon and control creatures of the sea through charm monsters spell use (by touch, usable five times per day). Sea titans have the additional ability to use as many first- to third-level spells as a 6th-level magic-user (but at the 12th level of ability).
Innate casting as a sorcerer? Do we just want to give it charm monster 5/day as an SLA or bump to dominate monster given its HD? (I think I prefer dominate.)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think we should give it more casting than a 6th level sorcerer, since this guy is probably going to be very high CR. We might even consider switching sorcerer for druid casting.

freyar

Agreed about the bump to how many spells. It should be 12th level at a minimum (like the listed CL), but probably around 20th. It would be interesting to compare the titan's SLAs to sorc casting. The switch to druid is an intriguing idea; I'll think about that.

Sea titans have titan strength (a rating of 25).
Just noticed that. Should we bump to Str 43, Dex 12 to put them more like a normal titan?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good suggestions on all that.

I definitely think we should up the Str and Dex based on that text.

Per the 2e Monstrous Manual...

"All titans are able to employ both mage or priest spells (dependent on the individual titan -- only one, not both) as a 20th-level spell caster."

Since titans lost their spellcasting and retained only their SLAs in 3e, I'd recommend we simply create a list of SLAs for them, based largely on druidic spells. Thoughts?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Some suggestions:

Call Lightning
Call Lightning Storm
Control Weather
Control Winds
Elemental Swarm (water only)
Greater Dispel Magic
Repel Wood
Storm of Vengeance
Warp Wood

The wood spells are to mess with ships. ;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Chain lightning and telekinesis still fit, I think. I like the wood-destroying spells, and the weather control.

freyar

This all sounds good. The regular titan has 16 SLAs (good or evil ones get 4 more), and we have 11 so far. What about also a high-level Summon Nature's Ally, Hold Monster, Water Breathing (for allies?), Whirlwind, Antilife Shell? The good and evil ones could get the same additional SLAs as good and evil normal titans, if we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads